2018 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2018 Draft

bullus_hit said:
No, bulging discs are treatable. The main concern was the stress fractures & they have healed well enough to consider him for an AFL career.

I had a history of a bulging disc and had surgery when I was 25. It immediately released the pressure on the disc and the pain went away. Still, 17 years later and I still have days where I can feel it. I also know that the disc is prone to bulge again. In an AFL environment he will have the benefit of elite physios helping to strengthen this spine/core to assist with relapse. He will also have the benefit of jabs to help the pain if he has trouble in the future. But you always know that a potential reoccurrence is just around the corner.

BrisTiger24 said:
I had a history of a bulging disc and had surgery when I was 25. It immediately released the pressure on the disc and the pain went away. Still, 17 years later and I still have days where I can feel it. I also know that the disc is prone to bulge again. In an AFL environment he will have the benefit of elite physios helping to strengthen this spine/core to assist with relapse. He will also have the benefit of jabs to help the pain if he has trouble in the future. But you always know that a potential reoccurrence is just around the corner.

I don't know much about the condition but I did have a chat to a doctor about Bytel's situation (from what information I could garner at the time), basically said the stress fractures could kill his career but the bulging disc not a terminal problem. I guess you have to treat it case by case, plenty of situations where guys have exited from juniors with various ailments & gone onto to be stars.

Not sure, but don't they fuse a small section of the spine if there's a chronic problem with a bulging disc?? Thinking the disc is basically a cartilage between the vertebrae that's fairly easily damaged, so if there's ongoing problems they just fuse the bodgy area n eliminate the problem.
Might be a tad simplistic or might be I have no idea, but.

Fusion is a major procedure with a year recovery and unlikely to be able to play elite sport there after. It requires bone grafts and steel implants generally.
Surgery for the disc alone comes in different forms depending if it is back pain or neuralgia that is the complaint.
A damaged disc is likely to give trouble into the future in the form of back pain like Ottens had.

bullus_hit said:
Most of the talls have been omitted from discussion, this article seems geared towards fantasy football. Williams will only play 5 games this season, max, playing a full season is still 2 years away.

Just for clarity, the article I'm referring to is " Draftee watch. How are your clubs new faces tracking?" posted on the AFL website.
Mentions other teams KPP's and ruckmen but no Williams!

Dont Argue said:
Just for clarity, the article I'm referring to is " Draftee watch. How are your clubs new faces tracking?" posted on the AFL website.
Mentions other teams KPP's and ruckmen but no Williams!

Mentions but not as being on track for round 1, that was my point, no talls will play round 1 maybe with the exception of Lukosius. As for Williams, at least he's not in the news for the wrong reasons. :p

Anyhow, need to give both Williams & Bytel a few years before passing judgement.

bullus_hit said:
No, bulging discs are treatable. The main concern was the stress fractures & they have healed well enough to consider him for an AFL career.

Try telling that to Hampson. Kept him off the park for 3years and eventually into retirement

King Kong said:
Try telling that to Hampson. Kept him off the park for 3years and eventually into retirement

Fyfe won a Brownlow with a similar issue, Hawkins just had his best season, Hurley another who hit career best form after the injury. It can be managed although there maybe discomfort from time to time. As for Hampson, just think he was injury prone from start to finish, you'd struggle to find an injury he didn't sustain.

bullus_hit said:
Most of the talls have been omitted from discussion, this article seems geared towards fantasy football. Williams will only play 5 games this season, max, playing a full season is still 2 years away.

Wait, you were dead keen him contributing at AFL level in year one.

Now he’s two years away?

SCOOP said:

Now he’s two years away?

I can hear people sharpening their axes.
Did someone stick their neck out? ‍♂️

I was a fan of trading our 2019 1st rounder for the 2 picks the doggies had in the 30's to get both Williams & Bytel with these selections

Nothing has changed for me with that thought and would still do it in a hearbeat , Both boys are quality footballers with talent that was rated in the top 20 just 6 months ago

Nothing has changed in my eyes , Bytel's injury was known thats why he slipped to where he did and the expectation was that 2019 was a write off so still the same

Williams is no different to how Balta / CCj are getting developed and is a player that will take 2-4 year and anything earlier would be a bonus

Both players would have suited our team and list demographic perfectly.

Lets see how it all goes in 2/3 years

SCOOP said:

Now he’s two years away?

Come on Scoop, not at any stage did I say he would play a full season in year one, quote me till your hearts content but that's absolute garbage. I even used the Grundy comparison who only managed 7 games in his debut season.

I’m more than happy with our 2018 haul however hope we use our 2019 first round draft pick on a ruck/forward.
Not sure how we will compete ruck wise this year but Williams was obviously never a quick fix.

bullus_hit said:
I'd take O'Halloran but I'm not anti-Hill, would be an interesting call with probably a greater upside but more bust probability. As for RCD, if his 2km was 30 seconds faster he'd my number 1 priority.

Great to hear RCD has improved his running ability already. Has come back and bettered all his times pre Xmas.
We have a beauty! Club very impressed

Dont Argue said:
Great to hear RCD has improved his running ability already. Has come back and bettered all his times pre Xmas.

where did you get this info ?

Dont Argue said:

Awesome news, just goes to show that the club did their homework with his aerobic ceiling. We don't hear much about the Vo2 max but I'm guessing the results came back positive.

bullus_hit said:
Awesome news, just goes to show that the club did their homework with his aerobic ceiling. We don't hear much about the Vo2 max but I'm guessing the results came back positive.

Would you have RCD comine numbers as well as Cripps and Bont
would be a great comparison to make

turk-d-tiger said:
Would you have RCD comine numbers as well as Cripps and Bont
would be a great comparison to make

Don't have the results in front of me but from memory Bont ran a 3.20sec/20m & 14.5 beep, Cripps 13.2 beep & I think around 3.20sec. RCD 3 seconds flat & 7 min. 2km. In all honesty I think RCD plays much quicker than 3 secs.