2018 Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2018 Draft

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
tigerdell said:
Not to.reignite old arguments but interesting report out of west coast,
From the afl site:

Bailey Williams was the hero for the Eagles, with the youngster slotting the match-winning goal late in proceedings to help his side to a two-point victory over Claremont.

Williams finished with three goals for the match

Still pissed off that we didnt trade our 2019 1st rounder to the doggies for the 2 picks they had and we could have had Williams & Bytel
Whilst Bytel has been injured and not playing this year apparently his recovery is going well and they expect him to be ready for pre season training

These 2 boys fitted our needs perfectly

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Or we couldve had Ross and Williams.
Obviously we are all rapt with Ross. But Balta is showing the awesomeness of an athletic tall. Lets hope that we can trade in Williams

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
turk-d-tiger said:
Still p!ssed off that we didnt trade our 2019 1st rounder to the doggies for the 2 picks they had and we could have had Williams & Bytel
Whilst Bytel has been injured and not playing this year apparently his recovery is going well and they expect him to be ready for pre season training

Was that a realistic option or your wish list ?

Pick 14-18 in 2019 aint exactly gold

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
turk-d-tiger said:
Still p!ssed off that we didnt trade our 2019 1st rounder to the doggies for the 2 picks they had and we could have had Williams & Bytel

We wouldn't have Stack or our first round pick next year if this played out.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
taztiger4 said:
Was that a realistic option or your wish list ?

Pick 14-18 in 2019 aint exactly gold

It was very much a realistic option and the Doggies would have jumped at our offer , They ended up using the first of their picks for a father son which they could have gotten with later points and banked our 2019 1st rounder or traded it back for other selections. Their 2 picks fell perfectly for Richmond to then pick up Williams & Bytel

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
SCOOP said:
We wouldn't have Stack or our first round pick next year if this played out.

We had many other options that we could have gone with

No Weller
No Chol
No Townsend

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
turk-d-tiger said:
We had many other options that we could have gone with

No Weller
No Chol
No Townsend

You may say that, but the logical situation would definitely have been it was either one of Weller or Stack and my guess they'd have picked up Weller, so agreed with SCOOP that if we'd followed your plan, we wouldn't have Stack on our list and beating up on Viney.

turk-d-tiger

Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
mrposhman said:
You may say that, but the logical situation would definitely have been it was either one of Weller or Stack and my guess they'd have picked up Weller, so agreed with SCOOP that if we'd followed your plan, we wouldn't have Stack on our list and beating up on Viney.

If we had of done the deal and ended up with Williams & Bytel then we would not have re rookied Chol imo and with Bytel coming into the team then we would not have taken Weller either or Aarts and im sure we always had an eye on Stack as a rookie. The stack approach was always planned in the event he was not drafted and didnt just happen,

But no point in thinking about what could have been

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
To be honest, I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the 2018 draft. Early days but we seem to have chosen wisely.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
turk-d-tiger said:

Still being p!ssed is a strong emotive Turk considering neither of those boys has done absolutely anything.
On the evidence so far, I would have been extremely pissed getting Bytel and missing out on Ross. Lucky for us, the Saints chose Bytel first. Phewww

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
TigerFlag2017 said:
To be honest, I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the 2018 draft. Early days but we seem to have chosen wisely.

Killed it. Got Ross late, Got Stack later. Any other outcome mentioned doesn't line up with one or both of these two. That would be a net loss.

I've bashed the strategy for years but since the flag, it's been pretty darn good.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
What are the flaws that will hold Jack Ross back from being a 200 game player?

When Jack Graham came into the seniors, we were all marvelling at his output. But in hindsight, he was the cherry on top of an elite midfield and his toughness complimented the group. However his lack of pace has become more glaring and to a lesser extent of his skills/composure. Hopefully he will still come good.

However I am really struggling to see any chinks in Jack Ross. Obviously he is also a man-child, but can seemingly do it all and has decent speed.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
TigerFlag2017 said:

When Jack Graham came into the seniors, we were all marvelling at his output. But in hindsight, he was the cherry on top of an elite midfield and his toughness complimented the group. However his lack of pace has become more glaring and to a lesser extent of his skills/composure. Hopefully he will still come good.

However I am really struggling to see any chinks in Jack Ross. Obviously he is also a man-child, but can seemingly do it all and has decent speed.

The biggest flaw with Graham was ball accumulation. Ross never had that as a junior and hasn't shown that issue in the AFL. Just seems to know where to be and has composure. Not a great deal of worries about him at the moment. No obvious areas of weakness.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
mrposhman said:
The biggest flaw with Graham was ball accumulation. Ross never had that as a junior and hasn't shown that issue in the AFL. Just seems to know where to be and has composure. Not a great deal of worries about him at the moment. No obvious areas of weakness.
I seem to recall that Graham had reasonable ball accumulation at junior level. Didn't he have the leading possessions at the carnival?

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
TigerFlag2017 said:

Must admit, I couldn’t see any chinks in Graham’s game after he’d had played 1/2 dozen games. ;D

Early days yet and very hard to project the career of any player this raw.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
It always a game people can play. We coulda had, we woulda.....but didn't.
We don't know how club's thinking might have changed with each draftee taken or left on the board. Pure hypothesis.

Me, I'm more than happy with how things actually panned out. So far. Plenty of expectation and improvement in some of these lads. Very raw, but shown some good signs.