2019 v 2018 v 2017 - How does it feel? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 v 2018 v 2017 - How does it feel?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Been trying to gauge where we are right now based on expectations and gut feel.

2017 - We had a great run in. We were looking good. Top 4 was our goal and winning a final. I think most of us were confident we could win 1 final. Grand Final appearance and Premiers was a lofty dream but there was a certain amount of quiet confidence in how we were going. Anything could happen but we were Richmond so we couldn't see what was capable of. End result, when you look at the scores we won the 3 finals bye, it was one of the easiest finals run to Premiers wins in a long time.

2018 - We owned the season. Performances around this time weren't great but we kept winning. We'd turn it on for the finals because that's what we do. We had an expectation that we'd win again. Over-cooked, over-confident, either way we had expectations that we would win. End result, playing injured and sick players plus not having clicked in the previous weeks meant we were bundled out by Mason Cox.

2019 - Great run after the bye. Key player injuries don't seem to bother us much. We're not destroying teams in the 3rd or 4th quarters like the previous 2 years. Our losses have been bad. WCE's jump on us yesterday scared everyone. We're looking good at the right end of the season and our game plan looks the business. Can we win it? Not sure. I think we can beat anyone on the day. We're not the run away thrashing team we were so every game will be closer. I don't think it will be as easy as it was in 2017. It may come down to when we meet WCE and how they front up. They are the only team that worries me.

But it's going to be another great September and my flights for a possible quick dash back home for the big one have been reserved. My gut tells me we'll be there on the 28th September.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
You missed out in 2017:
- waiting for Dusty to re-sign, assumed he was leaving, expecting to see our season fall apart and planning for a rebuild....

:)

2019 - still waiting to see how we fare this week - will have a big impact on our premiership chances. Not impossible from 5th but would rather be playing Geelong in the first week.

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
I thought 2018 became a problem in that game against the Suns where we thrashed them and Jack kicked 10.

We spent most of the last quarter trying to get the ball to him and mucked around stopped playing like Tigers.

This year feels more like 2017 with a more experienced crew.

Yesterday was fantastic!

Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
good thread and there is no doubt I am gauging my expectations far differently this year.

in 2017 i was calm because about it all because it was new territory and there were a lot of unknowns.

in 2018 i was calm because about it all because we were clear on top all year. even when we lost the Prelim i was philosophical about it... "well we still have 2017."

but this year is far different. I am all over the shop from an emotional POV.

to start with, I thought it was all over when Rance went down. then we got to 7-3 and got excited. then thought we're being unrealistic and only making the numbers after 3 consecutive losses.

But as our winning streak grew and our chances of going all the way increased, I kept getting more and more animated at games. I was on edge all day yesterday and was absolutely pumped when we won. Why? because we know what is ahead of us. there are no unknowns anymore. we are in with a chance to win it and I don't wanna let another opportunity slip like it did last year. We are in the NOW and we need to make hay while the sun shines.

Reactions: 2 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
The big thing for me is Dusty isn’t limping to the line like last year. He is in 2017 form. He has that look in his eye after every goal.. when he is singing the song. He is back Taking the game away from the opposition again. He was unbelievable yesterday...... oh and we have a bloke named Tom Lynch coming out of the goal square.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
To be honest in 2017 I wasnt even thinking about premierships until we beat geelong , then I thought hang on , its only 2 more games ,maybe this could happen, before that I just wanted the monkey off our back and win a final .

Last year being in the box seat and everyone tipping us and patting us on the back made me feel a bit uneasy, felt like there was more pressure on the club as a whole to live up to the expectation.

This year is probably somewhere in between, we are not in the box seat , we still need to keep winning, we have momentum , that part feels like 2017, but we are rated as serious contenders and many are tipping us, that part feels a bit more like 18.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
To be honest in 2017 I wasnt even thinking about premierships until we beat geelong , then I thought hang on , its only 2 more games ,maybe this could happen, before that I just wanted the monkey off our back and win a final .

Last year being in the box seat and everyone tipping us and patting us on the back made me feel a bit uneasy, felt like there was more pressure on the club as a whole to live up to the expectation.

This year is probably somewhere in between, we are not in the box seat , we still need to keep winning, we have momentum , that part feels like 2017, but we are rated as serious contenders and many are tipping us, that part feels a bit more like 18.

Well summed up.
Even after we beat Geelong I wasn't game to think Premiership in '17
Then last year we kept winning but we fell over the line a couple of times.
Now it's a realistic chance but it's gonna be hard and gotta be earned.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Good thread, Bear
Going to be some interesting discussion on this one.
I am confident the Tigers can get the job done this year and lift the silverware.
For me, it has been a more uplifting season than last year. We were definitely the best team in the H&A competition and should have gone on to win the flag but a confluence of events and issues saw to that not happening.
This year the Club has maintained a steely determination, never whinged about its injury woes and has blooded some great new talent.
Get the right combination clicking in September and the Tigers will get the job done, no matter what other teams throw at us.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
In 2017 we had a significant number of players who I suspected were likely to let us down. Those players are now proven finals performers, and the newbies have bought into the same culture that has made us successful.

2018 was a more dominant year; we travelled too well, hit the front a long way out and got run down.

This year it feels as though we can overcome most obstacles. We've done it once, we're stronger this time and armed with the lessons from 2018. There is no fear.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
I'm more worried about running into the dogs this finals series.

Reactions: 3 users

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
my flights for a possible quick dash back home for the big one have been reserved. My gut tells me we'll be there on the 28th September.

Been keeping an eye on flights from London for the week pre-GF. They seem expensive at the moment. Hoping they come down as we get a bit closer.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
I felt the last couple of games in 2018 showed signs we were maybe taking it a bit breezy, limped over the line against Geelong & Western Bulldogs. Lulled into a false sense of security with how we're going against a mediocre Hawthorn.

Really important to be played your best footy at the pointy end, and I feel like we're doing that at the moment, but we've still gotta prove we're on top of our game again by beating Brisbane.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
2017 nothing to lose and no expectations especially with Geelong first up - stunned to win a final, ecstatic to be in a prelim and the GF was pure joy and a dream tbh.

2018, it didn’t hurt as much as I thought when we lost the prelim as we had 2017 to fall back on, but once the dust settled it was a wasted opportunity but the wheels were already falling off before the finals.

2019, we have built depth and resilience and gone under the radar for most of the year. We are now building at the right time of the year with some force to be reckoned with, players have that deep desire to win with the added internal belief that is intangible but real. And we are still hurting from last year prelim lose and want it more.

Even without Rance, I think overall we are a better side than 2017.

‘67 and ‘69 ........ history repeats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
Considering our run with injuries some even thought we wouldn't make it.
Just as sat in the rain in 2017 when we beat the Giants I thought then we could win it that year.
Same again this year, against same opponents.
We're right in this up to our eyeballs and considering the run with injuries it's a fantastic testimony to a great club and great culture.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
We can win it. Will need some luck, as every side does. WC are a very good side, we beat them yesterday, but history shows that doesn't guarantee we will again. I'm a bit wary of Collingwood's fwd line with Elliott fit, he's a gun, and DeGoey and Stephenson, and Moore back at CHB. I'll still back our midfield and our fwd line against theirs, but I'm wary if they get their gun fwds all fit at once, which I don't think has ever happened. But que sera sera, I'll saddle-up and enjoy the ride.