2019 v 2018 v 2017 - How does it feel? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2019 v 2018 v 2017 - How does it feel?

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I’ve said it when it and will say it again.

If we were 5 goals up last years (aka Collingwood) West coast would’ve left the G at 3qtr time.
We would’ve won by 60.
We lost the flag, the night Rance decided to have a stinker.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
1967 and 1969 de javu
Ah, Tiger Force what a way to celebrate anniversaries.

I was at each of these.

Anyone want to drop around a have a read of the Footy Records from each win? In fact, I have each Record from the 69 Finals. That first semi win still looks great. And yes, it didn’t take Chris Scott’s tenure as cats coach to instil in me a dislike for Geelong. Particularly given we had to drive past the abattoirs to get to the then Geelong Road. It is a long held dislike on my part.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
In 2017 we ended the year in ballistic fashion and when Dusty turned that AA cabbage Stewart inside out I felt a calmness that we could win the lot.

In 2018 we were playing pretty ordinary towards the end, should have been rolled by the Dogs and really didn't set the world on fire v the Hawks... I was nervous and felt our worst possible prelim opponent would be the Pies and so it was..!

In 2019 it really has been a roller-coaster of both performance and emotions and so right now I feel nervously calm........ been a great 3 years to be a Tiger whatever happens next:)

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
2017 was out of the box, we hit form at the right time and were irresistible in the finals. I was watching the Geelong QF on TV with my daughter and when Geelong drew level I remember saying to her that now we find out if we are contenders. We dominated the first half, almost kept them goalless, should have kicked more ourselves. Then they came back as I expected because they are a good team. Would we step up or fold? We stepped up, I knew then that we were contenders. Couldn't believe we won the PF, those first 2 goals in about a minute were magic. Then the GF, Adelaide were deserving favourites, but they had won their two finals in the first quarter, killed the opposition stone dead. But I was at Punt Rd at quarter time saying, we're still in this which was significant as they had not put us away. Then, second quarter, Adelaide's best quarter all year, and they were held goalless. I well remember when I went to the footy just expecting us to win back in the 1970s, but after so many years I didn't think we had it until about 10 minutes to go. 2017, we were irresistible, and we were killing it in the back half of the game.

2018 I never felt I saw that 2017 form. Yeah we were great, we kept winning, but some of those games we didn't deserve to win. The game against Footscray we shouldn't have won - but, then again, we just kept winning. Seemed to be a habit, just win. I was very worried we wouldn't turn it on for the finals, that you can't just flick the switch and go up a couple of levels. That's what happened. I think we won too easily for too long and couldn't hit another gear.

2019 feels more like 2017 but still not the same. We're not irresistible, yet. May be able to hit that form again, but this year has been a grind. We're hungry after missing out in 2018 and we have hit form at the right time. Grinding out the win against WC was big, managing to get 13 points in front, they got it back to level, and we prevailed - that says a lot. In hindsight you would pick Richmond to win all those finals in 2017, but here we are again and we're a genuine chance. Not quite 2017 level but on our day we can beat anyone, we're 4 wins from a flag but can't afford to lose any of them. It feels different, then again it isn't 37 years since the last flag. So hard to say, it feels different but it feels more like we are hitting form at the right time, unlike in 2018.

Ain't it great to be in contention, been so long since we have been a force, time to win a few and have a golden period like '67 to '74.

I hope it is like '69, 100 point thrashing of Geelong in week 1, but I reckon Geelong are much better than that.

DS

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
This will sound stupid and over confident, but i knew we had the flag at half time in the Grand Final. Adelaide just couldn't string 2 possessions together.

During the Preliminary final it was hard to relax as the Giants at times moved the ball well, so there was always the worry that they might get a roll on and get back into it. The one comfort i had was that if challenged, Cotchin just starts cracking in like a madman and influences the contest. With Martin next to him doing what he does, it made it hard for any team to get a run on against us late 2017.

2018 i was ver y confident after the Qualifying Final save for the lack of football between that game and then the Preliminary Final. The best team doesn't often lose the GF, but it happens so often in the Preliminary Final, often when you have a hot favorite for the flag. It's like they are thinking about the following week before getting thejob done in the week at hand (PF). Playing one game in 29 days is just Bu!!S!te, and it shouldn't be structured that way, bu tthats the pantomine of the current AFL boys club leadership group.

Since the bye this year, we've easily had every opponent, getting a lead of 6 to 8 goals and then just cruising to the line. WC jumped us so it was a little different this time, but on performance, really we had them by about 6 goals had we kicked straight, and 10 goals had the umpiring been just a little bit normal.

Mollinson:- "Sweety, they were calling me a little flog today at the ground"!
Mrs Mollinson:- Hahahaha, sweety....................... you are a little flog!"

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I felt the last couple of games in 2018 showed signs we were maybe taking it a bit breezy, limped over the line against Geelong & Western Bulldogs. Lulled into a false sense of security with how we're going against a mediocre Hawthorn.

Really important to be played your best footy at the pointy end, and I feel like we're doing that at the moment, but we've still gotta prove we're on top of our game again by beating Brisbane.
The last few weeks of 2018 had me worried ...third gear and lucky to get 4 points ...didn't buy the line we were deliberately easing off, heavy training loads and all that .... the Hawks win was comfortable but they weren't a top 4 side ...in reality were 7 or 8. .. nonetheless went to prelim expecting to win but as we know 10'minutes in every omen and sign was working against us....then we find out we played sick players.
2017 like most was just a joyous journey of discovery. After so long just couldn't build expectations beyond very hopeful.
2019'we seem to be more professional and predictable (in a good way) like the 80s Hawks. Our Achilles heel is that all opponents now know we are the benchmark. Flag is ours if we play 4 more games at our best.