2020 AFL Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2020 AFL Draft

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I think we will have to turn over 8? To get our 3 picks. It wouldn’t surprise me if the AFL allow teams to go with 2 selections to ease pressure on delistings this year.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I thought it was Ross's best game ever. Much cleaner. Better use. More rounded. Accountable. Measured. Consistently busy. A highlight.

Six score involvements.

[Oops. Wrong thread. I knew I'd posted it somewhere.]

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It's the tan, muscles and 'tache that is making the difference for Ross right now

Reactions: 1 users

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
Is Dan's brother Brayden Rioli eligible for the 2020 draft?

I know he is zoned to the Bombers but doesn't mean other clubs can't bid, if he's any good, like the Bombers did with Irving Mosquito.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I read somewhere that Collingwood's round two pick in this year's draft is tied to Richmond's finishing position.

Can someone explain to me in English what that means and how it happened?

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I read somewhere that Collingwood's round two pick in this year's draft is tied to Richmond's finishing position.

Can someone explain to me in English what that means and how it happened?
Richmond traded it to Collingwood last year. Clubs can trade the picks they will hold in the following year’s draft and the pick will end up being tied to where they end up after the season has ended. So the clubs are taking a risk when they trade these picks as what number it will be is unknown.

Richmond traded 2020 2nd round + 2019 pick 45 for Collingwood’s 2019 pick 46 + St.Kilda’s 2020 2nd round pick.

Collingwood got St.Kilda’s 2020 2nd round pick from other trades they did.

Reactions: 3 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Richmond traded it to Collingwood last year. Clubs can trade the picks they will hold in the following year’s draft and the pick will end up being tied to where they end up after the season has ended. So the clubs are taking a risk when they trade these picks as what number it will be is unknown.

Richmond traded 2020 2nd round + 2019 pick 45 for Collingwood’s 2019 pick 46 + St.Kilda’s 2020 2nd round pick.

Collingwood got St.Kilda’s 2020 2nd round pick from other trades they did.
Great explanation, thanks @Giardiasis

I guess you can deduce from that, Richmond thought it was a good chance to finish higher than the Saints in 2020 so would receive an overall net benefit from that trade?

Which leads to the question: why would Collingwood have done that trade (I assume it was they who proposed it)? Was there someone at 45 they really wanted and thought Richmond might take? Perhaps they didn't value the Saints' 2020 2nd round pick that highly (ie. maybe they thought back then they had enough picks in this region)? Maybe they thought the Saints would rise (correct) and that the Tigers would fall (incorrect)?

I'd also be interested to know if the tied pick is based on finishing H&A position or post-finals position?

Postscript: the Pies took Trent Bianco @ 45 and the Tigers took Hugo Ralphsmith @ 46 in the 2019 draft.

Reactions: 1 user

dusty123456

Tiger Cub
Aug 12, 2020
Great explanation, thanks @Giardiasis

I guess you can deduce from that, Richmond thought it was a good chance to finish higher than the Saints in 2020 so would receive an overall net benefit from that trade?

Which leads to the question: why would Collingwood have done that trade (I assume it was they who proposed it)? Was there someone at 45 they really wanted and thought Richmond might take? Perhaps they didn't value the Saints' 2020 2nd round pick that highly (ie. maybe they thought back then they had enough picks in this region)? Maybe they thought the Saints would rise (correct) and that the Tigers would fall (incorrect)?

I'd also be interested to know if the tied pick is based on finishing H&A position or post-finals position?

Postscript: the Pies took Trent Bianco @ 45 and the Tigers took Hugo Ralphsmith @ 46 in the 2019 draft.
They really wanted that kid Bianco. Mad pies supporter growing up too I think. Funny thing is we got Ralphsmith, the one that we wanted, whilst also exchanging our pick for Saints which is an absolute win

Reactions: 3 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Pies wanted Bianco and there might have been a few clubs offering deals and the pies one was the best. We still got the player we were after (Ralphsmith) and yeah I guess we thought we’d finish higher than the Saints.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Pies wanted Bianco and there might have been a few clubs offering deals and the pies one was the best
Ok, that would make sense. I can't recall but maybe Bianco was a slider?

Interestingly, the Tigers took Cumberland and Martyn in the two picks immediately beforehand. That suggests other clubs maybe thought we'd take Bianco then came knocking prior to our third pick in a row with the hope they could secure him.

Clearly says we didn't rate Bianco as highly as other clubs.

I guess we now hope the Saints get beaten in the first week, either by Collingwood (if the Pies win tonight) or the Dogs (if the Pies lose tonight).

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Trades[edit]

2019 AFL trade period
They really wanted that kid Bianco. Mad pies supporter growing up too I think. Funny thing is we got Ralphsmith, the one that we wanted, whilst also exchanging our pick for Saints which is an absolute win

Seemed strange to me at the time.
Richmond were rumored to be into Bianco.
Collingwood wanted Bianco and blinked.

I always wondered if there was a side deal with Collingwood to switch picks, but only if Collingwood definitely took Bianco (remember this was live trading)

Because if Richmond were at all worried that they would miss their next rated player in Ralphsmith by doing the deal, it is logical for Richmond to insist that Collingwood only take Bianco.........or not take Ralphsmith ........
But then Collingwood would have known that Richmond were not into Bianco and therefore did not need to do the pick swap .......

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Or there were other teams wanting that pick and Pies were more desperate

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
Bianco was a big slider, top30 talent, elite kick, leader, etc. MASSIVE Pies fan, but had interviewed with Richmond a few times too prior to the draft. Pies jumped when he was still available and Richmond did a good deal.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Richmond did a good deal.
It seems to me we are rarely active in the pick-swap space but this may have been a deal too good to pass up.

Agree with @Baloo that it feels like Collingwood may have had to pay overs due to multiple clubs having an interest in Bianco. I doubt anyone thought the Saints would finish higher than the Tigers so they obviously knew they were likely giving up something of value.

Interesting that the Pies have used 40 players this year, more than any other club bar the Bulldogs and Hawks who also used 40. The kid didn't get a start ahead of Keane, Appleby, Ruscoe, Lynch, etc.

(Richmond has used just 33 players so far, with only the Power (30) and Suns (31) using fewer.)

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Pies wanted Bianco and there might have been a few clubs offering deals and the pies one was the best. We still got the player we were after (Ralphsmith) and yeah I guess we thought we’d finish higher than the Saints.

Which we will. Saints will come 7th and we'll come 1st.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I would’ve taken Bianco. Lot of Caleb Daniel to him. Elite kick.

With all our picks he clearly wasn’t a Richmond man.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Real good story about Heath Chapman

Good size, elite decision making from the back half. Pace and run at 191cm. I know nothing and had only heard the lads name as a first rounder but after reading that and watching the highlights, he’s firmly on my watch list.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'd seen those highlights, SCOOP, but didn't know the story. Incidentally, the article says he's 193, which helps. Likely type. Quality aerialist, would be interested to see his sprint times.

I like Eddie Ford.

• Love