2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Sounds like most would be stoked if the actual draft worked out the way of the BF Phantom draft.

Our 5 picks in that phantom are:
Josh Ward
JVR
Zac Taylor
Cooper Murley
Blake Howes

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like most would be stoked if the actual draft worked out the way of the BF Phantom draft.

Our 5 picks in that phantom are:
Josh Ward
JVR
Zac Taylor
Cooper Murley
Blake Howes
Good mix, nicely balanced with some top end talent. I'd be very confident of getting 3 core players & even a couple of A graders from that batch.

Good mix, nicely balanced with some top end talent. I'd be very confident of getting 3 core players & even a couple of A graders from that batch.

What are your thoughts on Murley and Howes?

Howes sounds like a good type that will be a few years away, but could play as a 3rd tall forward or back.

Would you go with Murley or Butler for that type of player? From what I've seen I probably prefer Butler.

What are your thoughts on Murley and Howes?

Howes sounds like a good type that will be a few years away, but could play as a 3rd tall forward or back.

Would you go with Murley or Butler for that type of player? From what I've seen I probably prefer Butler.
I would probably break it down like this

A Class - Rachele, Sonsie
B Class - Butler
C Class - Murley

Reactions: 1 user
SUBIACO COLTS PREMIERSHIP COACH CHAYCE CREEDY SAYS:
“You don’t come across a 192cm midfielder who can kick a ball as well as he can too often. “His ability to play in multiple positions probably helps Fremantle, whether he’s a half-back, half-forward, they need someone who can kick a goal which he’s shown he can do. He’s strong overhead as well so Fremantle’s not a bad fit. “For him to be able to learn off someone like Mundy who’s a really good ball user and then develop and take over that role would be ideal. “I wouldn’t say he’s like-for-like for Cerra but he’s certainly going to add something they need. “Both Fremantle and West Coast need good ball users and he’s certainly one of those.”

Reactions: 1 users
SUBIACO COLTS PREMIERSHIP COACH CHAYCE CREEDY SAYS:
“You don’t come across a 192cm midfielder who can kick a ball as well as he can too often. “His ability to play in multiple positions probably helps Fremantle, whether he’s a half-back, half-forward, they need someone who can kick a goal which he’s shown he can do. He’s strong overhead as well so Fremantle’s not a bad fit. “For him to be able to learn off someone like Mundy who’s a really good ball user and then develop and take over that role would be ideal. “I wouldn’t say he’s like-for-like for Cerra but he’s certainly going to add something they need. “Both Fremantle and West Coast need good ball users and he’s certainly one of those.”
Who is he talking about bullus?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes i had seen this as well , I just want to see him running with the ball or even running to create an option
do you have any access to his 2klm times or his sprint times. He certainly has afl traits and tools but as i mentioned in another post i also was sucked in to similar vision of David Gourdis when we drafted him. it pretty much will be a choice between Alleer & Bazzo if both available at our later picks

Yes i had seen this as well , I just want to see him running with the ball or even running to create an option
do you have any access to his 2klm times or his sprint times. He certainly has afl traits and tools but as i mentioned in another post i also was sucked in to similar vision of David Gourdis when we drafted him. it pretty much will be a choice between Alleer & Bazzo if both available at our later picks
Don't have his times but I'm sure he's a reasonable endurance runner, doesn't really use his pace much either. But I think it's better to look at him as glass half full given his rate of improvement, he's tracking faster than I predicted and has some good weapons, namely the leap & marking ability. Can you teach him to kick, handball & bounce? That would be the acid question.

Don't have his times but I'm sure he's a reasonable endurance runner, doesn't really use his pace much either. But I think it's better to look at him as glass half full given his rate of improvement, he's tracking faster than I predicted and has some good weapons, namely the leap & marking ability. Can you teach him to kick, handball & bounce? That would be the acid question.
I think its possible to teach kicking, handball & bouncing as that seems to be easy with players from other countries but having the game awareness and nuances of the timing and selecting the correct option whilst doing them is the hard part.
Even players like Majak stll struggle with this Aliir Aliir has just seems to be getting it right, Chol was surprisingly good t this if only he had more 'killer' in him :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
I think its possible to teach kicking, handball & bouncing as that seems to be easy with players from other countries but having the game awareness and nuances of the timing and selecting the correct option whilst doing them is the hard part.
Even players like Majak stll struggle with this Aliir Aliir has just seems to be getting it right, Chol was surprisingly good t this if only he had more 'killer' in him :rolleyes:
On that front his anticipation is good and he has courage, the ability to set off chains still a work in progress but getting better. I think someone will take the punt, he has potential to slide out to the rookie draft but I think he goes around the 40 mark.

I looked at Johnson at the combine on the Afl website ,and he was doing the running jump,the Tiger recruiter in the back ground wasn't even watching,he was too busy yakking.
Prob didnt want everyone to see him looking intently at Johnson. Reverse pyschology stuff i hope b/c MJ is a good player.

I have Gibcus & Alleer neck and neck for marking ability, the reason Gibcus is seen as the best defender is his kicking is much more assured and he tends to run off his man more often, although this can send him into trouble on occasion. Not a terminal issue and probably one you could iron out once in an AFL system. Alleer simply doesn't have that spontaneity in his game but there's growth potential & that makes him a reasonable bet in the second round.

Van Rooyen is a very strong mark in a pack situation, doesn't shirk responsibility & of all the KP prospects he presents as the best swingman, comfortably I might add. Where he might have a few problems is with the Inspector Gadget types who use their reach, this was something Bazzo did to great effect. Van Rooyen is a good runner with a very high work rate, not an elite leap but Oscar Allen isn't in that category either. Happy to grab him in the twenties & would take him over Alleer if both were available.

Amiss is more of a leading type, he's more in that Jack Gunston mould of canny one on one operator who can get separation & a player who can hustle his way to front position. Technically fine as a contested mark but not a pack splitter, he probably relies on silver service delivery more than your typical power forward but his kicking for goal is first class.

Bazzo is still a player I'm assessing, his play in defence has largely been a negating role, I'm still trying to dig up some footage of his work in the forward line. Given that he's spent a fair chunk of time as a junior forward indicates he's a competent grab. Will get back to you on this one.
Oscar Allen is the player that comes to mind with JVR and also has some traits that Jack has with game smarts that i like , He doesnt have the leap of Jack but i dont think he is too far off Allen. The thing that make me like JVR is that he is a footballer that always wants to be involved and makes himself get involved in the game/play. Also has that uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time , He is a footballer and more a foward imo

His range looks to be between 14 -25 with Brisbane being the 1st of the teams that would look at him , Im not sure he will be still on the board at #26 and i would say most likely he is gone before #20.

I could live with JVR as our #15 selection as he does fill a need and has the ability to play fwd/def

Reactions: 3 users
Half glass empty or half glass full? He will polarise for sure, his ball drop isn't great and may break down under extreme duress but I've seen worse. Esava Ratugalea had a pretty rotten technique but has improved greatly since being at a professional club. Most of the Sudanese guys have improved their kicking over time, Chol was a pretty good kick but there has been some noticeable improvement. Aliir Aliir has improved every year and is now an AA backman. Funny enough, the one Sudanese player who entered AFL with elite kicking stats was Buku Khamis and he's really struggled to cement a spot at the Doggies. I can certainly see the reluctance to grab Alleer with a second rounder but that is our current hand, so if we want him we need to pay up.
Im thinking if Alleer was a target for RFC
would we have still done the trade with the Pies as #38 or pick #40 would have been the range i would have been happy to take that chance with what effectively is a 'project player'

The only way we will know is judging the bloke picked in the third round next year. If that's pick 50 or thereabouts, I'm pretty certain the club won't be losing sleep.
I think i read somewhere that players picked up after pick #50 (i think it was ) had a 6% chance to play 50 games
or something like that and picks 20-30 were about 28% to play 100 games. and with 3 picks inside 2 rounds in 2022 not fussed about the 3rd rounder that we tossed

just some useless info thats stuck in my head

Reactions: 5 users
He's had senior experience & two years of development, you tend to have to pay a premium. Some will have him 4th round to rookie, some will have him late second round. I have him around the the 40 mark, give or take.

But looking at things in totality, this draft will be a failure if we don't manage to secure three core players, don't think you can afford to take a risk on Alleer if it's only 4 selections - not much room for error with the first 3 picks.
Agree Bullus, we must nail these picks and deliver core Best 26 Players into the club - especially b/c some of this year's picks are from losing two young players chosen in the late first round/early 2nd - CCJ and Higgins the year before. And we traded away last year's 1st.

The realist in me says all clubs have young players selected early that are a bust /left their team. We are no different.

The pessimist in me says if players selected this year end up being a bust, our depth wont easily recover from these 3 years of lost players and trades.

Last edited: