2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Talk on the BF board that we are interested in GWS academy recruit Josh Fahey. I would imaging GWS would match the bid, but the kids kicking is apparently elite.

Anyone know much about him?

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Nice work Bullus. I just read about an interesting three way trade by a Freo supporter that involved the Tigers, Freo and GWS. Basically it ended up that we would swap 7, 15 and 26 for 2 and 19. Of course pick 19 is the first pick on the second night so it could be highly sought after. Would you like this trade or happier to keep what we have ?
2. Ward
19. van Rooyen
27. Butler
28. Taylor

I think that's also a decent haul. It's missing the wingman but you get a mid/forward instead, next year can always be the year of the rebounder.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
The more I assess the various strengths of the draft, the more I'm leaning towards a WA combo for our first two picks, that ensures we get a tall midfielder and ensures we get a swingman, it also comes with a good insurance policy for the go home factor.

9. Johnson (tall midfielder0
17. van Rooyen (key defensive swingman)

From here it gets interesting, mainly due to the fact I want an outside runner. So my suggestion would be to package some picks in the twenties for pick19 and wait for one of Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera or Chesser to drop.

19. Sinn (rebounding defender/wingman)

I'm slightly favouring Sinn here although it's a close call, I just think he's the best bet for Houli's position and that's where the gap is. Then with the last pick I would pick the best player left out of Taylor, Butler, McDonald & Sheldrick.

28. Taylor (rounded midfielder)

I would be very confident to get three core players from this list & I think there's scope to get at least one A grader. I think grabbing a swingman as opposed to two key position players also makes sense, particularly in a midfielders draft.
Im not sure what it is as i cant put my finger on it but have had the feeling that Chesser would be the player that slides and could be available at our later 3 picks . same with Roberts.

Whats your opinion on the 2 St Kilda Academy boys Owen & Windhager. Michito Owens looks like a real bull that can accumulate possessions and has Petracca like power through the hips.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Talk on the BF board that we are interested in GWS academy recruit Josh Fahey. I would imaging GWS would match the bid, but the kids kicking is apparently elite.

hes double Academy but GWS have dibs. spent a while at the Suns too.

yeah good leg. pretty outside.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
The more I assess the various strengths of the draft, the more I'm leaning towards a WA combo for our first two picks, that ensures we get a tall midfielder and ensures we get a swingman, it also comes with a good insurance policy for the go home factor.

From here it gets interesting, mainly due to the fact I want an outside runner. So my suggestion would be to package some picks in the twenties for pick19 and wait for one of Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera or Chesser to drop.

I'm slightly favouring Sinn here although it's a close call, I just think he's the best bet for Houli's position and that's where the gap is. Then with the last pick I would pick the best player left out of Taylor, Butler, McDonald & Sheldrick.

I would be very confident to get three core players from this list & I think there's scope to get at least one A grader. I think grabbing a swingman as opposed to two key position players also makes sense, particularly in a midfielders draft.
Johnson is a great pick at 9.
17 is a little too early for JVR I feel.
Sinn and Taylor nice additions

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Nice work Bullus. I just read about an interesting three way trade by a Freo supporter that involved the Tigers, Freo and GWS. Basically it ended up that we would swap 7, 15 and 26 for 2 and 19. Of course pick 19 is the first pick on the second night so it could be highly sought after. Would you like this trade or happier to keep what we have ?
I would do that trade in about 2 seconds ................. No Brainer
Callaghan & JVR/NWM/Sonsie/Butler

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

I mentioned Fahey on here a while back - its probably where the BF discussion stemmed from.
We are interested, however, so are others. He'll go between 10 and 20 I feel.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Wouldn't they go with Erasmus? That seems to be the buzz at the moment.
Depends who is still in the board. If Hobbs is there they know we will take Hobbs. If he isn’t and say Ward is taken as well there is chance we go for Johnson. So they will need to weigh up whether they pull the trigger at pick 6.

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
It'll be interesting to see if the noise of Andrew to GWS & Gibcus to GC are just red herrings come draft night. I have a feeling at least one of them will be

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Just on Sinn he was touted as very early selection at the start of the year. Why the drop off?

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
A freo supporter came up with it you say?
Must be in a purple haze.
I can't see how all 3 clubs would benefit.

at 2 and 19 we would be happy, but I bet GWS get stiffed.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Depends who is still in the board. If Hobbs is there they know we will take Hobbs. If he isn’t and say Ward is taken as well there is chance we go for Johnson. So they will need to weigh up whether they pull the trigger at pick 6.
That's why I hope we are madly talking to Erasmus and Amiss. Get Freo thinking these are our targets

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
you really take Ward at 2 Bully?
Callaghan would be the one for me, but I'm not confident about that scenario, I think there's too many clubs bidding for him. Ward would be a nice target however, I think he's gettable with the right deal.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Just on Sinn he was touted as very early selection at the start of the year. Why the drop off?
Injuries & lockdown so I think it's worth trading up for, his contested game is also more developed than Wanganeen-Milera, he's the only real candidate for Houli's role.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
17 and 18 yolds with dodgy hammy's/soft tissue injuries are a massive red flag and a fair sign of issues to come. I expect us to steer clear

Structural issues (joints, bones, ligaments) don't raise the same concerns - albeit Varcoe, Judd and Selwood all dropped a few spots on the back of structural issues

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Haven't seen the mooted trade, but throwing some numbers around, maybe its something like.

Richmond - In 2 and 19 Out, 7, 15 and 26
Freo - In 13 and 15, Out 8 and 19
GWS - In 7, 8 and 26 Out 2 and 13

Its probably fairly even all round, and just depends on who each team is targeting and where they think they will fall.

Richmond - Its a no brainer, sign, sign, sign
GWS - If they are after Andrew, he probably slides to there or thereabouts, and they pull their pick 13 into the top 10 and then gain a pick in the 20's to match Fahey. At this stage they probably need to go into deficit next year for him as 53 won't cut it
Freo - It all depends on who they are targeting, its kind of a nothing trade but depends on who they are after and if they don't think he will slide to 19 (lets say they are after Johnson (6), Erasmus (13) and JVR (15) its highly probable they could get them there, but may not get JVR at 19.

Its a possibility and might work well all around. Would be a great deal for us, get Callaghan, we can then either pick with 19 or field trade requests for the pick.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Johnson is a great pick at 9.
17 is a little too early for JVR I feel.
Sinn and Taylor nice additions
You could feasibly pick Sinn up at 17 and then trade up for JVR, it may make a difference in cutting the collateral damage in a future deal. It depends on who you reckon will drop. Sinn probably fair weight at our first, JVR slightly overs but not by a huge amount.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Haven't seen the mooted trade, but throwing some numbers around, maybe its something like.

Its probably fairly even all round, and just depends on who each team is targeting and where they think they will fall.

GWS - If they are after Andrew, he probably slides to there or thereabouts, and they pull their pick 13 into the top 10 and then gain a pick in the 20's to match Fahey. At this stage they probably need to go into deficit next year for him as 53 won't cut it
Freo - It all depends on who they are targeting, its kind of a nothing trade but depends on who they are after and if they don't think he will slide to 19 (lets say they are after Johnson (6), Erasmus (13) and JVR (15) its highly probable they could get them there, but may not get JVR at 19.

Its a possibility and might work well all around. Would be a great deal for us, get Callaghan, we can then either pick with 19 or field trade requests for the pick.
From memory I think GWS got 6 and 7. Freo 8, 13, 15 and 26

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006

I suppose it does work although Freo would be very nervous about all their home grown talent being gobbled up.

But as a hypothetical, doing that trade wouldn't hurt us much if we are keen on van Rooyen, unless of course Freo grabs him instead. Maybe that would be their motivation for making such a trade.

2. Callaghan
19. Sinn
27. Bazzo
28. Taylor

Not bad, a lot of risk weighted at the top end, which is ok provided you get your A grader.