2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
FWIW i am more than happy to take our picks in as they are. take 5 picks instead of trading up for a higher pick, which will cost 2 picks min, also i am not keen on using any of our 3 picks we'll likely be using next yr.

Reactions: 9 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
FWIW i am more than happy to take our picks in as they are. take 5 picks instead of trading up for a higher pick, which will cost 2 picks min, also i am not keen on using any of our 3 picks we'll likely be using next yr.
I thought that 3 way trade was pretty fair for all and it could of benefited all teams but like you I would still be happy to stick with what we have.

Reactions: 1 user

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I'm happy with our picks as it spreads the risk a bit more evenly.
I thought that 3 way trade was pretty fair for all and it could of benefited all teams but like you I would still be happy to stick with what we have.
It was fair from my perspective, it probably means you lose the rights to van Rooyen who would be snapped up by Freo, that may also leave you without a key position player. It may even cut you out of the wingman lottery. Think I prefer our position.

Reactions: 3 users

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005

It was fair from my perspective, it probably means you lose the rights to van Rooyen who would be snapped up by Freo, that may also leave you without a key position player. It may even cut you out of the wingman lottery. Think I prefer our position.
Yes good summary, we would have to rate the talent at pick two to be something special and rely on pick 19 getting us a very good outcome in terms of a player or picks.

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

I dont know guys.

Agree with the above. I might be one of only a few who doesnt want to give up pick 15. Sorry. Go easy on me!

I also might be the only person who doesnt see how Callaghan is head and shoulders above the next tier - I just dont see it. I've watched highlights (only highlights I know) so many times. I see nice things but also a player who gets himself into his own trouble with some of his plays.

Am i nitpicking?

Why not just keep pick 15 - it's in a sweet spot for a solid player.

Sure 7 wont get us Ward (the one player I will regret missing out on).
And 15 wont get us an A grader. But shouldn't the 9th and 17th best player from this draft better what we have in Ross, Martyn, Cumberland, Hugosmith, even Dow. Isn't that building depth by bettering these players we already have who were taken in the 30s/40s from prev years.

I know its not a Cotchin/Martin A grader - but it'll give us a better quality to what we have. Then try and convince an A grader like Noah Anderson at GC or Taranto (the player I really rate at GWS) to come to us in the next couple of years and give up picks for these guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I dont know guys.

Agree with the above. I might be one of only a few who doesnt want to give up pick 15. Sorry. Go easy on me!

I also might be the only person who doesnt see how Callaghan is head and shoulders above the next tier - I just dont see it. I've watched highlights (only highlights I know) so many times. I see nice things but also a player who gets himself into his own trouble with some of his plays.

Am i nitpicking?

And 15 wont get us an A grader. But shouldn't the 9th and 17th best player from this draft better what we have in Ross, Martyn, Cumberland, Hugosmith, even Dow. Isn't that building depth by bettering these players we already have who were taken in the 30s/40s from prev years.

I know its not a Cotchin/Martin A grader - but it'll give us a better quality to what we have. Then try and convince an A grader like Noah Anderson at GC or Taranto (the player I really rate at GWS) to come to us in the next couple of years and give up picks for these guys.
Agree Bob re: Callaghan. A bit too outside for mine and at pick 2 of the draft thats just too high risk for me. Hobbs/Ward look far more accomplished right now as footballers.

Tortured Tiger

Jan 24, 2005
I dont know guys.

Am i nitpicking?

Very fair comments Bob. I haven’t seen enough of Callaghan to make any sort of call on him. I certainly like Ward a lot but it is a fair bit to give up. If a club like Carlton came to the second night and saw a player they ranked as a top 15 pick still on the board they might do a trade like pick 25 and a future second for 19 which would make the whole deal look a lot better. Anyway all a bit of fun, still happy with what we have.

Reactions: 1 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Very fair comments Bob. I haven’t seen enough of Callaghan to make any sort of call on him. I certainly like Ward a lot but it is a fair bit to give up. If a club like Carlton came to the second night and saw a player they ranked as a top 15 pick still on the board they might do a trade like pick 25 and a future second for 19 which would make the whole deal look a lot better. Anyway all a bit of fun, still happy with what we have.
I agree Bob,I'm a fan of keeping our picks as is, especially with the advantage of 5 hits in top 30,that will get u guys that vary well at picks 15-26 with a full season could of gone top 5-10,u only need to look at Sinn who was a top5 but now through not playing is likely to go 11-17 somewhere.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Agree Bob re: Callaghan. A bit too outside for mine and at pick 2 of the draft thats just too high risk for me. Hobbs/Ward look far more accomplished right now as footballers.
I’m the same as you and Bob Joking Faces.

Callaghan is a real neat and tidy mover. His build and the way he moves reminds me a bit of Nathan Buckley. But you are right. He doesn’t have much of an inside or physical game. He’s a great athlete, covers the ground well, fair enough kick. But he needs to win a bit more of his own ball.

He had a poor U/16 Championships, got told to work on some things, improved, and had a good practice match start for Sandy this year when he started to rise on people’s radar again. But like Erasmus, it’s really only been this year, and in limited game time and exposure that he’s risen.

I think clubs really like the athletic and classy look he has about him and that he has big upside if he can win a bit more of his own ball.

Good player but I think he’s a tad over priced at pick 4. See him more as about 10-12 to be honest.

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004

Callaghan is a real neat and tidy mover. His build and the way he moves reminds me a bit of Nathan Buckley. But you are right. He doesn’t have much of an inside or physical game. He’s a great athlete, covers the ground well, fair enough kick. But he needs to win a bit more of his own ball.

He had a poor U/16 Championships, got told to work on some things, improved, and had a good practice match start for Sandy this year when he started to rise on people’s radar again. But like Erasmus, it’s really only been this year, and in limited game time and exposure that he’s risen.

I think clubs really like the athletic and classy look he has about him and that he has big upside if he can win a bit more of his own ball.

Good player but I think he’s a tad over priced at pick 4. See him more as about 10-12 to be honest.
I know its been done to death, but this draft is a real crap shoot. Callaghan, Ward shooting into the top 5 and Sonsie and Sinn sliding well and truly out of top 5 contention- all based off a few games in a massively disrupted season.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
This is for next year,l was bored last night and watched a bit of the Vic country-Metro under 17 match 2022-23 prospects.
There where quite a few likely types,and l really liked the look of a indigenous boy playing up forward,he was really dangerous kicked 3 goals ,really lively and smart .

I looked him up and he's eligible for us in 2022 NGA Ashtyn Atkinson ,l have him at 184cm but not totally sure ,play's for the Murray Bushrangers.
If he keeps working hard,might be one to watch next year.

Reactions: 8 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
From memory I think GWS got 6 and 7. Freo 8, 13, 15 and 26

That could work too. That would obviously rely on GWS expecting Andrew to not be taken by anyone else, and then they upgrade their 2nd pick.

I know a lot don't like it, but I do. I see a lot of quality in Callaghan, I think the tiges getting 1 of he, Hobbs or Ward is massive and whilst we may lose out on JVR, Pick 19 is very valuable. Callaghan is ready to go and could take our attacking wingspot next year IMO.

We either get the 1st pick of the 2nd round, or we hold a lot of trade value overnight from the 1st day to the 2nd, where we could potentially trade for additional value. I can see Freo only giving this up, if it gets them into a position like shown where they have 13 and 15 to take JVR with. Maybe even both he and Amiss.

Plus I'm still in the thought pattern that we may only take 4 picks into the draft, but we have delisted Biggie and Cumberland to provide flexibility on draft night.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I dont know guys.

Am i nitpicking?

Good summary, pick 15 may get us an A grader, albeit a player with some element of boom/bust. It's the range where the top end talent with question marks comes into play.

Sonsie - Inconsistent, tank needs work, can look disinterested
Sinn - Injury history, lack of exposure
Wanganeen-Milera - very outside, doesn't appear to have lightening pace

If you don't feel these guys warrant the risk then in all probability you don't get an A grader. Next best thing is a swingman & jack of all trades., that's why I can see plenty of merit in grabbing van Rooyen.

Reactions: 2 users

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Haven't seen the mooted trade, but throwing some numbers around, maybe its something like.

Richmond - In 2 and 19 Out, 7, 15 and 26
Freo - In 13 and 15, Out 8 and 19
GWS - In 7, 8 and 26 Out 2 and 13

Its probably fairly even all round, and just depends on who each team is targeting and where they think they will fall.

Richmond - Its a no brainer, sign, sign, sign
GWS - If they are after Andrew, he probably slides to there or thereabouts, and they pull their pick 13 into the top 10 and then gain a pick in the 20's to match Fahey. At this stage they probably need to go into deficit next year for him as 53 won't cut it
Freo - It all depends on who they are targeting, its kind of a nothing trade but depends on who they are after and if they don't think he will slide to 19 (lets say they are after Johnson (6), Erasmus (13) and JVR (15) its highly probable they could get them there, but may not get JVR at 19.

Its a possibility and might work well all around. Would be a great deal for us, get Callaghan, we can then either pick with 19 or field trade requests for the pick.

This sort of massive change to the draft order won't happen IMHO

Clubs have had a month to arrange this with players as chips, no chance this happens now,

It will just be minor moves on draft night I reckon

Last edited:

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008

Sounds more like a Josh Kelly type

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Im not sure what it is as i cant put my finger on it but have had the feeling that Chesser would be the player that slides and could be available at our later 3 picks . same with Roberts.

Whats your opinion on the 2 St Kilda Academy boys Owen & Windhager. Michito Owens looks like a real bull that can accumulate possessions and has Petracca like power through the hips.
Chesser is the most likely to drop but I think I prefer the other two, although not entirely sure Wanganeen-Milera has enough pace. Sheds tested really well for endurance (elite), leap (elite) & speed (very good) so that comparison needs to be treated with caution. Kicking skills and evasion look similar it's just the other stuff that worries me.

Sinn is the one who could make this haul look like an act of genius, provided his injury history doesn't lead us down the Freeman path, don't think it's quite that bad to be honest. Dyson Heppell came in with plenty of question marks and he has had a stellar career.

Reactions: 6 users