2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
SUBIACO COLTS PREMIERSHIP COACH CHAYCE CREEDY SAYS:
“You don’t come across a 192cm midfielder who can kick a ball as well as he can too often. “His ability to play in multiple positions probably helps Fremantle, whether he’s a half-back, half-forward, they need someone who can kick a goal which he’s shown he can do. He’s strong overhead as well so Fremantle’s not a bad fit. “For him to be able to learn off someone like Mundy who’s a really good ball user and then develop and take over that role would be ideal. “I wouldn’t say he’s like-for-like for Cerra but he’s certainly going to add something they need. “Both Fremantle and West Coast need good ball users and he’s certainly one of those.”
its looking like Johnson/Amiss for freo

Reactions: 1 user

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
SUBIACO COLTS PREMIERSHIP COACH CHAYCE CREEDY SAYS:
“You don’t come across a 192cm midfielder who can kick a ball as well as he can too often. “His ability to play in multiple positions probably helps Fremantle, whether he’s a half-back, half-forward, they need someone who can kick a goal which he’s shown he can do. He’s strong overhead as well so Fremantle’s not a bad fit. “For him to be able to learn off someone like Mundy who’s a really good ball user and then develop and take over that role would be ideal. “I wouldn’t say he’s like-for-like for Cerra but he’s certainly going to add something they need. “Both Fremantle and West Coast need good ball users and he’s certainly one of those.”
Freo will be rapt to get him at 6(8).

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Oscar Allen is the player that comes to mind with JVR and also has some traits that Jack has with game smarts that i like , He doesnt have the leap of Jack but i dont think he is too far off Allen. The thing that make me like JVR is that he is a footballer that always wants to be involved and makes himself get involved in the game/play. Also has that uncanny ability to be in the right place at the right time , He is a footballer and more a foward imo

His range looks to be between 14 -25 with Brisbane being the 1st of the teams that would look at him , Im not sure he will be still on the board at #26 and i would say most likely he is gone before #20.

I could live with JVR as our #15 selection as he does fill a need and has the ability to play fwd/def
Good summary. I've been a fan of JVR and Oscar Allen has been my comparison the entire time. Whatever JVR lacks in elite athletic traits he makes up for competitiveness and smarts. He just wants to be involved. I'm fine with him at 15. I actually think the Ealges at 10 are a huge chance to grab him.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I think i read somewhere that players picked up after pick #50 (i think it was ) had a 6% chance to play 50 games
or something like that and picks 20-30 were about 28% to play 100 games. and with 3 picks inside 2 rounds in 2022 not fussed about the 3rd rounder that we tossed

just some useless info thats stuck in my head
Yep, I made that point earlier with picks in the 50s, just as much chance landing gold in the rookie draft.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Hi Bullus

sorry mate, I have asked your thoughts on a few players and read your post y/day which incl a few sentences about Goater.

Are you able to share a little more on Goater and how you rate his potential/skills/best position. Having watched his highlights incl some Youtube stuff a few times today (first time I've focused on him), he's better than what I thought he would be.

TBH, even a few of his very clever, instinctive handballs reminded me of the best handballs from Shane Edwards. Pace, great kick, great instincts I thought.

What do you think of him Bullus?

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Good summary. I've been a fan of JVR and Oscar Allen has been my comparison the entire time. Whatever JVR lacks in elite athletic traits he makes up for competitiveness and smarts. He just wants to be involved. I'm fine with him at 15. I actually think the Ealges at 10 are a huge chance to grab him.
If we were to land Johnson you could actually make an excellent case for getting Van Rooyen as well, always smart to get a traveling buddy.

Reactions: 3 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If we were to land Johnson you could actually make an excellent case for getting Van Rooyen as well, always smart to get a traveling buddy.
Yeah it's, becoming more commonplace. Rivers and Jackson from Melbourne is a masterstroke example of this. Thick as thieves.

The Johnson and Cerra comparison has made me think twice on Johnson. I can see a bit of that, laconic almost crusiey style of getting around the park. I'm not so down on taking him with our first pick first.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Hi Bullus

sorry mate, I have asked your thoughts on a few players and read your post y/day which incl a few sentences about Goater.

Are you able to share a little more on Goater and how you rate his potential/skills/best position. Having watched his highlights incl some Youtube stuff a few times today (first time I've focused on him), he's better than what I thought he would be.

TBH, even a few of his very clever, instinctive handballs reminded me of the best handballs from Shane Edwards. What do you think of him Bullus?
I really like Goater, I like the way he takes the game on, very daring, not afraid to take a bounce, not shy about climbing on shoulders, and most importantly, not afraid to drill a ball 50 metres. He can be hot and cold with the kicking but when he's on he can put in a flawless display. Whether the consistency can be improved is the only real question mark but I think he's an upgrade on McIntosh if he doesn't cut it in the midfield. The handballing has actually been sharp in the engine room, his kicking can look a bit rushed at times but certainly better than some mids going around and his marking ability is strong. I think the gap between his upside & downside is significant but some clubs like Port & Essendon don't mind a project type so I think he'll be snapped up in the top dozen. Reckon we would have to take him at 9.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I really like Goater, I like the way he takes the game on, very daring, not afraid to take a bounce, not shy about climbing on shoulders, and most importantly, not afraid to drill a ball 50 metres. He can be hot and cold with the kicking but when he's on he can put in a flawless display. Whether the consistency can be improved is the only real question mark but I think he's an upgrade on McIntosh if he doesn't cut it in the midfield. The handballing has actually been sharp in the engine room, his kicking can look a bit rushed at times but certainly better than some mids going around and his marking ability is strong. I think the gap between his upside & downside is significant but some clubs like Port & Essendon don't mind a project type so I think he'll be snapped up in the top dozen. Reckon we would have to take him at 9.

Cheers Bullus. You've summed up fantastically well - 'sharp handballing' is spot on.

His run and bouncing from the backline reminded me a bit of Lachie Whitfield and centre mid handballing was Shane Edwards-like.

I dont think he is a 'type' we have on our list at the moment - maybe Balta's ability to run and bounce and kick 60m. And maybe Short.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We could have played for lipinski and others.
We cannot worry about what we were not apart of.
5 picks is what we need now.
Let's hope we nail it.
We have not been in it this deep for ever.
17 years n three premierships since we had a massive crack at the draft. Sincerely hoping we've learnt a bit about drafting since then. One n a bit from five is a fairly crap return.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I agree with Goater and trust me i wont be too upset if we selected him with our pick #7 (9)
The thing with players like Goater who has shown at junior level to be able to find the ball is that when they have attributes like Speed agility leap and 'grunt' they usually become best 22 players. Provided they can and have the ability to find the ball in the midfield which he appears to have.

I get the feeling that he will be on Essendon & Syndeys wish list

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I looked at Johnson at the combine on the Afl website ,and he was doing the running jump,the Tiger recruiter in the back ground wasn't even watching,he was too busy yakking.
Pretty sure someone records how high the kid jumped in a little note book somewhere. Recruiter could just snaffle a look in the book while no-one was paying attention.
Far more important to know how a kid actually plays footy, fancy numbers for controlled running n jumping that are not even match competitive are fairly meh. Good commercial for AFLHQ to pretend relevance when there's no footy being played.

• Wow

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I would probably break it down like this

A Class - Rachele, Sonsie
B Class - Butler
C Class - Murley
I'd break it down like this:

A Class: King Kong, Redford. Bob, bengal_tigs,
B Class: bullus_hit
C Class: Brodders17, Spook

LOL - just jokes bullus! Its only cause u like Sonsie and dislike Gibcus!

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
The more I assess the various strengths of the draft, the more I'm leaning towards a WA combo for our first two picks, that ensures we get a tall midfielder and ensures we get a swingman, it also comes with a good insurance policy for the go home factor.

9. Johnson (tall midfielder0
17. van Rooyen (key defensive swingman)

From here it gets interesting, mainly due to the fact I want an outside runner. So my suggestion would be to package some picks in the twenties for pick19 and wait for one of Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera or Chesser to drop.

19. Sinn (rebounding defender/wingman)

I'm slightly favouring Sinn here although it's a close call, I just think he's the best bet for Houli's position and that's where the gap is. Then with the last pick I would pick the best player left out of Taylor, Butler, McDonald & Sheldrick.

28. Taylor (rounded midfielder)

I would be very confident to get three core players from this list & I think there's scope to get at least one A grader. I think grabbing a swingman as opposed to two key position players also makes sense, particularly in a midfielders draft.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Wouldn't they go with Erasmus? That seems to be the buzz at the moment.
I think they are aiming to get both.
Maybe they will take Erasmus first, but if they think Johnson rather than Erasmus is more likely to be taken by us, they may take Johnson.
Both look excellent prospects.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
Quick players often rush or appear to rush kicks - it goes with the territory of being quick. It can be worked on and improved if the kid is receptive to instruction and has a reasonable footy IQ. I have no real idea about junior footy talent but I thought his highlight package showed some superior traits that are much harder to teach.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
The more I assess the various strengths of the draft, the more I'm leaning towards a WA combo for our first two picks, that ensures we get a tall midfielder and ensures we get a swingman, it also comes with a good insurance policy for the go home factor.

9. Johnson (tall midfielder0
17. van Rooyen (key defensive swingman)

From here it gets interesting, mainly due to the fact I want an outside runner. So my suggestion would be to package some picks in the twenties for pick19 and wait for one of Sinn, Wanganeen-Milera or Chesser to drop.

19. Sinn (rebounding defender/wingman)

I'm slightly favouring Sinn here although it's a close call, I just think he's the best bet for Houli's position and that's where the gap is. Then with the last pick I would pick the best player left out of Taylor, Butler, McDonald & Sheldrick.

28. Taylor (rounded midfielder)

I would be very confident to get three core players from this list & I think there's scope to get at least one A grader. I think grabbing a swingman as opposed to two key position players also makes sense, particularly in a midfielders draft.
Nice work Bullus. I just read about an interesting three way trade by a Freo supporter that involved the Tigers, Freo and GWS. Basically it ended up that we would swap 7, 15 and 26 for 2 and 19. Of course pick 19 is the first pick on the second night so it could be highly sought after. Would you like this trade or happier to keep what we have ?