2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Did anyone watch the Herald Sun, (subscriber only), top 30 mock draft and who did they have us picking?

As usual HS knows Richmond sells, they only went up to Richmond's last pick ;) :)

Mock Draft replay: How the top 30 could play out​

They had us swapping 9 & 17 for Adelaides 6 & 33 and taking Hobbs with 6, Jack Wliiams at 27 and Sheldrick at 28.

• Dislike
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
A future first for one of those. Doubt it very much. I would hazard a guess and say a future second. I reckon there is a good chance our phones are running hot at those picks
We will not hand a early to mid second by only accepting a second with only 5 clubs likely to better our 20s picks with all the matching that's going on next year.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
They had us swapping 9 & 17 for Adelaides 6 & 33 and taking Hobbs with 6, Jack Wliiams at 27 and Sheldrick at 28.
Not sure I would like that outcome?

Our picks 26,27,28 become 28,29,30 who was the other player they selected for us?

Last edited:

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
The reason clubs are so high on him is he is tracking similar to Bont - late developer that has had a big final year - same height and marking ability- same skills and movement - same running ability. Bont was similar (flanker that moved into midfield) in his final year.

Some can get carried away in these circumstances but with Callaghan the opinion is pretty much unanimous which rules out the risk that any one individual recruiter gets luv nuts for a particular player.
100% agree Kong, you are right everyone rates him and its pretty much unanimous - I did say that I cant see it, but that I knew it was me and not others.

I still cant, even allowing for the Bont comparisons. But if every recruiter and expert says so, I guess its Callaghan at 2 (4).

I think the point I was also trying to make - but made it poorly - was that if we are going to try and move up the board by packaging up picks, gee we better get those picks right.

If we give up 15 and 7 for one pick 2, we better be 100% certain. or if its 2 x 20s and pick 15, again it seems a lot to give up for 1 player.
I trust the club though.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I dont like that mock draft from the HS at all!

The Hobbs bit was good, but not sure on Williams and Sheldrick that they had us taking. I wonder who else was still on their board at those picks.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Can you draw any correlation between KPF's who perform against men (im thinking Jack Reiwoldt kicking the winning goal in a senior prelim for Clarence at 17)

and AFL success?

this model would rule Amiss out, for instance? for Logan McDonald, for other instance, goals were like shelling peas in the WAFL league in 2019. yet to bear fruit.

Can we narrow the field with senior mens goals as a KPF?

im with you in largely discounting colts form.
This is a great question & one which is complex on many fronts, Jack I simply loved in his draft year, there was certainly criticism that he was too focused on taking a speccy but I loved that element of his game because the leading patterns are something that can be taught. I was slightly concerned about his athleticism but give me a footballer over an athlete any day, especially one who can kick straight. Conversion is the most critical issue, then I would look closely at contested marking ability, I would also ensure that the player has enough power to gain separation. Playing against the bigger bodies also critical.

Now there's more to it, I call it the Josh Schache phenomenon , that is to completely disregard goals scored at the state carnival given the zoning rules are designed to give leading types a lift. Schache from memory scored all his goals on the lead, not too much in the way of species. Chalk & cheese compared to Jack & what some observers saw as a red flag, I saw as an asset. I think it was Weaver who ripped into Jack about his tendency to launch into the packs instead of leading, overly harsh assessment of a kid with precocious talent.

I'm not even sure there's an ironclad way to guarantee a top pick will star as a forward, I think you have to assume you will get one wrong eventually so it usually pays to grab a guy who can play in multiple positions, at least the floor is solid and you still manage to get a core player.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
No one, they only did top 30.

Just seen the list, they mucked up the draft order in hilarious HS style. They missed out Pick 28 completely, as they gave West Coast (who has the pick after it) the final pick in the top 30.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
So they didn't have a pick 30 or did they have someone bid on an academy player that was matched and therefore pushed our pick 30 to 31?

They had our picks at 27 and 28 as Williams and Sheldrick, then 29 they had West Coast bidding on Windhager (and Saints matching), then had the weagles with Pick 30, and missed our Pick 28 completely.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
They had us taking Williams when Bazzo was still on the board (which I doubt would happen) and I don't think we would take Sheldrick over McDonald either

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Just seen the list, they mucked up the draft order in hilarious HS style. They missed out Pick 28 completely, as they gave West Coast (who has the pick after it) the final pick in the top 30.
Yeah, just had another look, I’m totally confused now. I think they may have missed one of our picks.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
About the trade or the picks? They mentioned on the trade that we would also swap 2nd rounders in 2022 to add some value to the deal.

If they think Adelaide would swap who did they have Adelaide wanting and expecting to be available at pick 9?