2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
They had our picks at 27 and 28 as Williams and Sheldrick, then 29 they had West Coast bidding on Windhager (and Saints matching), then had the weagles with Pick 30, and missed our Pick 28 completely.

I hate that mock. But feel 100% comforted that it's the HS and wont be anything like what we pick.
They have no knowledge of what we would do.
No one in the media even knew Matt Parker was on our radar.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
About the trade or the picks? They mentioned on the trade that we would also swap 2nd rounders in 2022 to add some value to the deal.
Hobbs is fine but I wouldn't be selling the farm to get him, he's also a medium mid, of which there are scores in the second round. Williams is high risk & Sheldrick is 179cm & 90kg so how confident are we he can take that weight into AFL?

Much prefer the strategy of picking three promising mids and waiting for an eventual hit, I think there's enough talent around to ensure we get a core player from 3 hits in the twenties. Butler, Taylor, McDonald, Sheldrick or even Roberts if you think he's better than Constable/Hately.

Reactions: 3 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
If Goater slides to our second I won't be able to call his name quick enough.

I like viewing all Mock drafts whether the person knows what they are talking about or not as it creates debate or leaves them open to ridicule :) , in the one below we can get Hobbs and 9 and Goater 17 although he had us taking Van Rooyen

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
You're a mind reader! Yes, that's how I approach list building, I like statistical reinforcement to go with the raw ability.

I picked Mitch Clark in 2005 (better than JON at least)
I picked Jack in 2006 (and nearly smashed my car window like Frank when we traded pick 8)
I picked Rance in 2007
I picked Vickery in 2008 (although happy to have fixed that with the Bolton acquisition)
I picked Sam Reid in 2009 (although I missed Astbury)
I picked Darling in 2010 (at pick 6 which was fair value considering his underage year)
I picked Membrey in 2012
I picked Ladhams in 2015 (rookie)
I picked Chol in 2016 (rookie)
I picked Sam Taylor in 2017
I picked Bailey Williams in 2018

Griffiths not my finest moment, but he taught me to tread with caution in the top 20, I've since become a lot more discerning with tall project types. Guys like McKernan & McKenzie also came into the picture but probably not great selections. Not huge collateral damage however. But it aint easy to find a tall forward but that's all the more reason to trade one in like Lynch or go for broke in the top 5.

I pegged Lukosius first in 2018, just felt it was better to nail down a tall, not too concerned that Williams & Walsh are slaying it, happy to have a swingman who kicks it like a midfielder. The opportunity cost of not having a gun onballer more pronounced now than it will be in 5 years.

So my record with talls is reasonably good and I haven't wasted too many picks trying to get one. I was also with Phantom in getting one tall in the 2004 draft, didn't really care whether it was Roughie or Buddy, but we absolutely needed to grab a good one when the opportunity presented itself. Don't think that applies to this year so I'm dipping into the midfield stocks.
The one type you wouldn't get me hoping for is a forward/ruck type,,l just don't like them.
I look at them as player's who aren't quite good enough to be regular rucks,but have the agility to play ff.
With 18 sides the chances of getting a decent regular sized kp 193-197 cm isn't good,so if a club rates a player early in the draft ,go for it

As for your draft picking ,l think l would of done better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but l don't have the proof on here.
I liked Jack ,and was happy when the bombers took meyers ,l knew there where looking at Rance as well.
I like Grigg as well ,he was out of the rebels GF,and it cost them the win.
I was really hoping we got Astbury ,he was such a strong mark ,and a very good reader of the play,and if he hadn't of done his knee,would of probably been a chf for us,but it slowed him down a bit.
I also liked Rioli from his very first game for the Rebels,l just thought he had a bit of quality about him.

I could go on and on ,but l would just give myself a big head ,and really it's all meaningless :ROFLMAO::unsure::unsure:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
If jvr was in 2022 draft he would range 25-35 by sheer number of Kps,this will come into clubs thinking.
If JVR had a full year of the form he showed in the last three months he'd be top 5 in 2022.

Not many KP's show outstanding stretches of form all year long, it's about what they project into.

Remember JVR had no preseason at all due to glandular fever. That's something that saps you of all energy for a good three months, to put together the 12 weeks he did coming off that illness, that's what will come into clubs thinking.

Reactions: 8 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
If JVR had a full year of the form he showed in the last three months he'd be top 5 in 2022.

Not many KP's show outstanding stretches of form all year long, it's about what they project into.

Remember JVR had no preseason at all due to glandular fever. That's something that saps you of all energy for a good three months, to put together the 12 weeks he did coming off that illness, that's what will come into clubs thinking.
I think we have to take at pick 17, I'm ok with that.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
The one type you wouldn't get me hoping for is a forward/ruck type,,l just don't like them.
I look at them as player's who aren't quite good enough to be regular rucks,but have the agility to play ff.
With 18 sides the chances of getting a decent regular sized kp 193-197 cm isn't good,so if a club rates a player early in the draft ,go for it

As for your draft picking ,l think l would of done better :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: but l don't have the proof on here.
I liked Jack ,and was happy when the bombers took meyers ,l knew there where looking at Rance as well.
I like Grigg as well ,he was out of the rebels GF,and it cost them the win.
I was really hoping we got Astbury ,he was such a strong mark ,and a very good reader of the play,and if he hadn't of done his knee,would of probably been a chf for us,but it slowed him down a bit.
I also liked Rioli from his very first game for the Rebels,l just thought he had a bit of quality about him.

I could go on and on ,but l would just give myself a big head ,and really it's all meaningless :ROFLMAO::unsure::unsure:
Not sure but we've both got a different take on this draft so it will be interesting in the wash up. I'm also eyeing off next year so let's compare once the two drafts are done. Grades awarded for list balance, individual performance & number of busts. Six core players wanted so let the games begin.

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
Not sure but we've both got a different take on this draft so it will be interesting in the wash up. I'm also eyeing off next year so let's compare once the two drafts are done. Grades awarded for list balance, individual performance & number of busts. Six core players wanted so let the games begin.
No lets wait 5 years and see how good our selections are

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Anything worth reading in this or just another 'fill the space' article?

1634715860166.png