2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Just to illustrate the hit or miss nature of talls in the top 10 -

2005 - Kennedy (A grade)
Dowler (F)
Clark (C)
Ryder (A)

2006 - Gumbleton (F)
Thorp (F)
Ben Reid (B)

2007 - Grant (D)
Henderson (B)

2008 - Watts (C)
Hurley (A)
Vickery (D)
Davis (B)

2009 - Butcher (F)

2010 - Day (B)
Gorringe (F)

2011 - Patton (D)
Tomlinson (B)

2012 - Daniher (B)

2013 - Boyd (C)

2014 - McCartin (F)
Marchbank (D)
Wright (C)
Moore (A)

2015 - Weitering (A)
Schache (C)
Weiderman (C)
McKay (B)

2017 - Naughton (A)

2018 - Lukosius (A)
Max King (B)
Ben King (B)
Blakey (D)

So that's 33 talls (forward or swingmen) in 13 years, 7 A graders (roughly 20% strike rate) four of which came in the top 5. So your chance of securing an A grader from picks 6-10 is less than 10%.

Think I would much rather try and find the next Pendles, Bont or Macrae.
A lot of effort there BH , I sometimes write down things like that to gain perspective myself.
Food for thought:
If you were to look at key position types taken in the 1st round compared to your top 10 the percentage goes up significantly to around 40-45%. from my ratings.
A lot of A grade talent taken between 10 & 18 over the years.

I see us going a midfielder with our first pick and after that it will get interesting.

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure I would like that outcome?

Our picks 26,27,28 become 28,29,30 who was the other player they selected for us?
All depends how desperate we are to get Hobbs. No doubt Hobbs is the one we want.

Reactions: 1 user
I like viewing all Mock drafts whether the person knows what they are talking about or not as it creates debate or leaves them open to ridicule :) , in the one below we can get Hobbs and 9 and Goater 17 although he had us taking Van Rooyen

I would be doing cartwheels if we ended up with Hobbs and Van Rooyen.

Reactions: 4 users
Here's the full Mock Draft (Top 30).

1. NM - Jason Horne-Francis
2. Coll - Nick Daicos (Matched Bid)
3. WB - Sam Darcy (Matched Bid)
4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
5. GCS - Josh Gibcus
6. RICH - Ben Hobbs (Live Trade - Adelaide trades pick 6 and 33 to Richmond for picks 9 and 17, plus a swap of future second-round selections.)
7. HAW - Josh Ward
8. FRE - Jye Amiss
9. ADE - Josh Sinn
10. FRE - Wanganeen-Milera
11. STK - Matthew Johnson
12. WC - Neil Erasmus
13. ESS - Josh Rachele
14. PA - Matthew Roberts
15. GWS - Mac Andrew
16. BL - Arlo Draper
17. ADE - Josh Goater
18. SYD - Tyler Sonsie
19. MEL - Campbell Chesser
20. BL - Darcy Wilmot
21. FRE - Jacob Van Rooyen
22. NM - Leek Alleer
23. HAW - Zac Taylor
24. GEE - Tom Brown
25. HAW - Sam Butler
26. CAR - Jesse Motlop
27. RICH - Jack Williams
28. RICH - Angus Sheldrick
29. STK - Marcus Windhager <----- this should be our pick too (we traded for St Kilda's 2nd rounder last year).
30. WC - Blake Howes

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/25d894d25f9ff64cdc2aea3cfdf71a42

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure but we've both got a different take on this draft so it will be interesting in the wash up. I'm also eyeing off next year so let's compare once the two drafts are done. Grades awarded for list balance, individual performance & number of busts. Six core players wanted so let the games begin.
Lets do our 5 picks draft morning,or before if you want,but l was thinking the later the better in case we do another trade of picks.

Just to illustrate the hit or miss nature of talls in the top 10 -

2005 - Kennedy (A grade)
Dowler (F)
Clark (C)
Ryder (A)

2006 - Gumbleton (F)
Thorp (F)
Ben Reid (B)

2007 - Grant (D)
Henderson (B)

2008 - Watts (C)
Hurley (A)
Vickery (D)
Davis (B)

2009 - Butcher (F)

2010 - Day (B)
Gorringe (F)

2011 - Patton (D)
Tomlinson (B)

2012 - Daniher (B)

2013 - Boyd (C)

2014 - McCartin (F)
Marchbank (D)
Wright (C)
Moore (A)

2015 - Weitering (A)
Schache (C)
Weiderman (C)
McKay (B)

2017 - Naughton (A)

2018 - Lukosius (A)
Max King (B)
Ben King (B)
Blakey (D)

So that's 33 talls (forward or swingmen) in 13 years, 7 A graders (roughly 20% strike rate) four of which came in the top 5. So your chance of securing an A grader from picks 6-10 is less than 10%.

Think I would much rather try and find the next Pendles, Bont or Macrae.

Not a bad summary - I like it but I would raise you two A‘s- reckon the Kings will both end up A grade talent.

Just seen the list, they mucked up the draft order in hilarious HS style. They missed out Pick 28 completely, as they gave West Coast (who has the pick after it) the final pick in the top 30.
Well who did they name for west coast,he's ours

Not a bad summary - I like it but I would raise you two A‘s- reckon the Kings will both end up A grade talent.
Probably, although Max is a nervous Nelly in front of goals. Some of his shanks have really taken the sails out of St Kilda's momentum, Higgins has done the same at the Saints so he has company. Once he sorts out his kicking he will likely get an A.

Probably, although Max is a nervous Nelly in front of goals. Some of his shanks have really taken the sails out of St Kilda's momentum, Higgins has done the same at the Saints so he has company. Once he sorts out his kicking he will likely get an A.
Yeah, but he's still playing #1 key forward. Lukosious is playing the easiest spot on the ground and kicking it beautifully down oppo defenders' throats.

Got a 20m there Spook Skywalker ?
I do not.

Edit: There is footage on the AFL site of Williams (and JVR) doing the 20. Obviously hard to compare given they're different vids. I just hand-timed Williams at 3.1 - and 8.5 for the agility and JVR 3.2/8.7. Bowling ball of salt required given notorious hand-timing issues and having to guess from their lunge where the finish line was.

Last edited:
Yeah, but he's still playing #1 key forward. Lukosious is playing the easiest spot on the ground and kicking it beautifully down oppo defenders' throats.
He'll be forward next year and are you talking about Bowes or Lukosius? The former is the butcher.

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
5. GCS - Josh Gibcus
6. RICH - Ben Hobbs (Live Trade - Adelaide trades pick 6 and 33 to Richmond for picks 9 and 17, plus a swap of future second-round selections.)
7. HAW - Josh Ward
8. FRE - Jye Amiss
9. ADE - Josh Sinn
12. WC - Neil Erasmus
13. ESS - Josh Rachele
14. PA - Matthew Roberts
15. GWS - Mac Andrew
16. BL - Arlo Draper
17. ADE - Josh Goater
18. SYD - Tyler Sonsie
20. BL - Darcy Wilmot
22. NM - Leek Alleer
23. HAW - Zac Taylor
24. GEE - Tom Brown
25. HAW - Sam Butler
26. CAR - Jesse Motlop
27. RICH - Jack Williams
29. STK - Marcus Windhager <----- this should be our pick too (we traded for St Kilda's 2nd rounder last year).
30. WC - Blake Howes

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/25d894d25f9ff64cdc2aea3cfdf71a42
Yeah, nah, bum trade.

Johnson & Goater > Hobbs

Reactions: 3 users

4. GWS - Finn Callaghan
5. GCS - Josh Gibcus
7. HAW - Josh Ward
8. FRE - Jye Amiss
9. ADE - Josh Sinn
12. WC - Neil Erasmus
13. ESS - Josh Rachele
14. PA - Matthew Roberts
15. GWS - Mac Andrew
16. BL - Arlo Draper
17. ADE - Josh Goater
18. SYD - Tyler Sonsie
20. BL - Darcy Wilmot
22. NM - Leek Alleer
23. HAW - Zac Taylor
24. GEE - Tom Brown
25. HAW - Sam Butler
26. CAR - Jesse Motlop
27. RICH - Jack Williams
30. WC - Blake Howes

If we did that pick swap and have 6 wouldn't we go Ward instead of Hobbs if the 1st 5 picks went as they suggest.

He'll be forward next year and are you talking about Bowes or Lukosius? The former is the butcher.
I'm talking about Lukosious. His kicks look great. Watch who catches them.

I don't think he'll be much of a key forward. If anything he'll play third tall.