2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Anyone watched many Gippsland Power games ? Not highlight reels or stats, (bit too much of that at the moment) but full length games ?

Couple of interesting players but I’ve only got the one game v Northern Knights.

Bengal, anyone follow or watch the Power games ?

Last edited:

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Bully you bring so much richness to this discussion and do so with good grace and respect. Rise above the boorish and petulant.

I wanted 5 top 30 picks in this draft from the outset. We have an amazing draft hand. No need to upgrade any of our picks unless we are made an offer too good to refuse!

Genius for our first 2 picks and I really think we need to pull the trigger with Rochelle Rochelle with our first. Despite my strong preference for mids, also beginning to warm to Andrew. For a big fella, he seems to make the amazing seem pedestrian.

So many options.....
I'm a fan of Rachele, his upside has me thinking of a Butters/Simpkin type role player, his kicking skills are sublime and he comes across as a big game player. His record extending back to under 16s has been as good as any & I'm confident he'll be one of those guys who rises to the challenge of AFL football.

Is it possible to get Johnson, Rachele, Goater & Taylor/Butler? I'd certainly be trying, three from this list will be a slam dunk for the RFC and will set us up for a decade. It won't be easy of course but I see possibilities at pick 19 & pick 9 & believe we can cut a deal with a bit of poker face. Grab pick 19 and tell the Saints we're hot for Owens, that may throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Reactions: 1 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Couldn't just let it go could you.

No you don't chortle or snigger at others I'll give you that, however, you do argue often in an irrational way when trying to promote your opinion at the expense of others.

You sure as hell ain't going to change mine opinion so not sure why you bother.
What is your opinion KK? You've spent the last month promoting Johnson (which has my full support) yet poo poo my advocacy of that very player?

Are you onboard with trading pick 15 for Hobbs or not?

Feb 25, 2007
pick 9 - Matthew Johnson
pick 11 - Josh Rachele (Richmond trades pick 17 & 28)
pick 29 - mid slider
pick 30 - Charlie Dean (a slight reach but ok for us)

DFA - Jake Schlensog

Has good hands, excellent foot skills and strong one on one but do you feel Bully that Dean doesn't seem to give much offensive run, rarely see him running out of the backline taking bounces, link up etc. Not a big deal, just curious to hear your thoughts on him . Can also be swung forward, has played there before.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Has good hands, excellent foot skills and strong one on one but do you feel Bully that Dean doesn't seem to give much offensive run, rarely see him running out of the backline taking bounces, link up etc. Not a big deal, just curious to hear your thoughts on him . Can also be swung forward, has played there before.

He's more Astbury than Rance if we're sizing up playing styles, I think Schlensog provides a bit more offensive drive so grabbing both would be a nice blend, the latter we can stitch up as a DFA. I think Bazzo & Dean are comparable but Dean has the senior exposure and the extra development time, I think I prefer players who can speed up the conveyer belt if we're talking about worst case scenarios. Don't need to remind people of the enormous success rate with Fothergill-Round medalists, he's an excellent pick with our last selection, wherever that may land.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertough12

Tiger Superstar
Jun 3, 2004
What is your opinion KK? You've spent the last month promoting Johnson (which has my full support) yet poo poo my advocacy of that very player?

Are you onboard with trading pick 15 for Hobbs or not?
I doubt pick 15 will be traded… it’ll be next years 1st rounder with Pick7(9) for Callaghan if we do go that way

I’m not a fan of Hobbs, would rather Johnson at our pick 7(9).

get Sinn at pick 15(17) , if he’s gone then Goater., if he’s gone too then Roberts.

fingers crossed Taylor is there at our late 20s picks.

Reactions: 3 users

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I doubt pick 15 will be traded… it’ll be next years 1st rounder with Pick7(9) for Callaghan if we do go that way

I’m not a fan of Hobbs, would rather Johnson at our pick 7(9).

get Sinn at pick 15(17) , if he’s gone then Goater., if he’s gone too then Roberts.

fingers crossed Taylor is there at our late 20s picks.
If we do that then I would be encouraging a swap of pick 13 & 15, that probably puts us in a sweet spot to collect the slider out of Rachele, Goater & Sonsie.

Sinn concerns me with the soft tissue injuries & lack of exposure but he's still a potential A grader, Probably one in the frame if our picks remain the same.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
Bullus is clearly passionate about the draft and makes this thread a lot more interesting as a result of his posts.
Indeed and as Ive said before we all see thing in varying ways.
I myself look for certain aspects of players and list needs as do most.
Reading other peoples views are the main reason Im here, reading others perspectives regardless of whether I agree or not.

One thing I will add that Ive learnt through years of reading posts is that a lot of the time a post can be read in a way it wasn't intended.

Just my opinion but this place still the best for draft time reading, always has been due to the above mentioned.

Reactions: 5 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
It's great reading your thoughts Bullus. I was wondering your opinion on Baynen Lowe. He was runner up best and fariest with the Tassie Devils this year and he always racks up a heap of possessions and uses it well. He never seems to get a mention as a potential draftee though. Do you think it is just his size and lack of potential upside that counts against him?

Reactions: 1 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
WTF are u on about? Be interesting to see how much sense you’re making in 4 weeks time.
Lay off it. While you might not agree with his opinions or finally his priorities, no one makes more sense or provides us with a better researched opinion.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I still cant see him sliding past GC. They are screaming out for a Key Back.
That's been my position from a long way out. It's locked. I still think Mac Andrew and GWS at pick 2, 3or 4 is real as well.

One of Hobbs, Ward, Callaghan to be there at our pick. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
The Short pick eright argument is based off Carlton making one trade that everyone agrees was a crazy price to pay.

Irrelevant argument.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

At 30, not for me. You don't take average VFL backs that high. After 50 or rookie.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
It's great reading your thoughts Bullus. I was wondering your opinion on Baynen Lowe. He was runner up best and fariest with the Tassie Devils this year and he always racks up a heap of possessions and uses it well. He never seems to get a mention as a potential draftee though. Do you think it is just his size and lack of potential upside that counts against him?
I think his height may work against him, he's in that range that usually means you require one outstanding weapon, accumulation not quite enough to elevate him to a best 22 position. He is a very hard worker defensively so maybe a club will take a punt with a view to making him a defensive forward. I reckon he's a late rookie selection, ideal for a team wanting a small midfielder/forward.

• Love

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
At 30, not for me. You don't take average VFL backs that high. After 50 or rookie.
I'm talking about him being our 5th slection if we go down that route, the number largely irrelevant. If we cut a deal with the picks in the twenties then by all means grab a junk pick and stitch him up but there's also a chance he gets taken in the 40s. If we want a tall defender and only one this year, then just grab Schlensog as a DFA. At least he comes cheaper and seemingly has a bit more versatility. But I like Dean and despite the lack of run his closing speed is good and he's a very nice height with excellent kicking skills. Nice plug and play option.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm talking about him being our 5th slection if we go down that route, the number largely irrelevant. If we cut a deal with the picks in the twenties then by all means grab a junk pick and stitch him up but there's also a chance he gets taken in the 40s. If we want a tall defender and only one this year, then just grab Schlensog as a DFA. At least he comes cheaper and seemingly has a bit more versatility. But I like Dean and despite the lack of run his closing speed is good and he's a very nice height with excellent kicking skills. Nice plug and play option.

The number is always relevant, if our picks hold and we took Dean with a pick between 28-35 as our final pick I'd be furious.

There will be better on the board than a VFL full-back. I'd sign Schlensog as a DFA and use the fifth pick on some quality that will be there. And we took Tarrant to plug and play the Astbury role and we are going to rookie Biggie who IMO is on par with Dean. Even if we took Dean he'd be spending the bulk of his time in the VFL with limited scope for improvement. Prefer to ake another mid or pacey small forward like Judson Clarke with that final pick.

Last edited:

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I'm a fan of Rachele, his upside has me thinking of a Butters/Simpkin type role player, his kicking skills are sublime and he comes across as a big game player. His record extending back to under 16s has been as good as any & I'm confident he'll be one of those guys who rises to the challenge of AFL football.

Is it possible to get Johnson, Rachele, Goater & Taylor/Butler? I'd certainly be trying, three from this list will be a slam dunk for the RFC and will set us up for a decade. It won't be easy of course but I see possibilities at pick 19 & pick 9 & believe we can cut a deal with a bit of poker face. Grab pick 19 and tell the Saints we're hot for Owens, that may throw the cat amongst the pigeons.
I am really starting to warm up to Rachelle. Could be very much the surprise packet of this draft. If he can hit the midfield more often than not then he could be a very good player.

Would be more than happy to take him at pick 7 but gut feel says he is off to the Crows.