2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
That's been my position from a long way out. It's locked. I still think Mac Andrew and GWS at pick 2, 3or 4 is real as well.

One of Hobbs, Ward, Callaghan to be there at our pick. Fingers crossed.
I would throw Rachelle into that mix. I think he could be as good as that trio.

Reactions: 3 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
GC Suns Academy pre-list (rookie) Bohdi Uwlands and Sandy Brock before final list lodge today.

taking the *smile* with Brock (KPD -WAFL via NT).

my understanding is hes been a member of the Academy for all of 10 days.

its not like he looks like the next dylan grimes or anything,

but these pisstake cynical rule semantic stretches annoy the *smile* out of me.

i get the Suns need a leg up, but really? Theres a 195/100 accomplished kid called Will Bella moved from Cairns and has done 3 years in the Academy.

and it makes me wonder if Jason Horne wanted to, if he couldve signed up to the Academy a fortnight ago and be pre-listed for free?

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
The number is always relevant, if our picks hold and we took Dean with a pick between 28-35 as our final pick I'd be furious.

There will be better on the board than a VFL full-back. I'd sign Schlensog as a DFA and use the fifth pick on some quality that will be there. And we took Tarrant to plug and play the Astbury role and we are going to rookie Biggie who IMO is on par with Dean. Even if we took Dena he'd be spending the bulk of his time in the VFL with limited scope for improvement. Prefer to ake another mid or pacey small forward like Judson Clarke with that final pick.
You're right, the numbers are relevant but I just wanted to include him in the picture given our picks don't extend past 28. Happy to do a split if necessary, maybe even buy into the 2022 draft and grab a junk pick this year. But I'm probably with you on just grabbing the one tall this year and dipping into the midfield bounty. I'll be doing cartwheels if we manage to grab one of Johnson/Hobbs, then trade up for Rachele/Goater/Sinn and then grab one of Taylor/Butler with our third pick. I think we could also squeeze in your boy Howe with our fourth pick. That would be a dream result.

Reactions: 4 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm a fan of Rachele, his upside has me thinking of a Butters/Simpkin type role player, his kicking skills are sublime and he comes across as a big game player. His record extending back to under 16s has been as good as any & I'm confident he'll be one of those guys who rises to the challenge of AFL football.

Is it possible to get Johnson, Rachele, Goater & Taylor/Butler? I'd certainly be trying, three from this list will be a slam dunk for the RFC and will set us up for a decade. It won't be easy of course but I see possibilities at pick 19 & pick 9 & believe we can cut a deal with a bit of poker face. Grab pick 19 and tell the Saints we're hot for Owens, that may throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

Anyone compared to Butters gets a thumbs up. I like that Butler has been compared to him as well.

Ward/Hobbs/Johnson, Sonsie/JVR/NWM, and a mix of Taylor, Butler, Wilmot, Roberrts, Long, WIlliams,

Reactions: 3 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
GC Suns Academy pre-list (rookie) Bohdi Uwlands and Sandy Brock before final list lodge today.

taking the *smile* with Brock (KPD -WAFL via NT).

my understanding is hes been a member of the Academy for all of 10 days.

its not like he looks like the next dylan grimes or anything,

but these pisstake cynical rule semantic stretches annoy the *smile* out of me.

i get the Suns need a leg up, but really? Theres a 195/100 accomplished kid called Will Bella moved from Cairns and has done 3 years in the Academy.

and it makes me wonder if Jason Horne wanted to, if he couldve signed up to the Academy a fortnight ago and be pre-listed for free?
There is no such thing as wasted cynicism when it comes to the AFL mate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Hey @King Kong I’ve really enjoyed your posts re the drafts. I haven’t read anything that suggests a lack of appreciation by others on what you bring. Please leave the other *smile* out.

Reactions: 5 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
You'd think Fremantle would be quite happy if Cal Twomey's October Phantom picks fell that way it would have them getting

#8 Rachelle
# 10 Erasmus
# 21 Van Rooyen

Clubs will be coming hard for their pick (21) though, being the 1st pick of round two so they might accept something too good to refuse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Hey @King Kong I’ve really enjoyed your posts re the drafts. I haven’t read anything that suggests a lack of appreciation by others on what you bring. Please leave the other *smile* out.
Thanks mate, I'm going to take a break for a few weeks now as its a bit like groundhog day for me at the moment. Same players, same discussions, same arguments! Not always productive.

I'll come back the week before the draft when I have more info and intel on what we're intending to do and the interest starts to really ramp up.

Reactions: 9 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Good question. But again the AFL in their wisdom do not reveal this information.
They made a decision moons ago Joking Faces not to publish them for obvious reasons - including kids being publicly embarrassed and pigeon holed if they finished bottom end in a category - and as an extension of that the reluctance of future nominees to participate as a result.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
History shows that all of the above can also be sourced from outside the top 10, Priddis a rookie won a Brownlow, he fits the definition of inside mid better than most. Two time Brownlow winner Fyfe came from the second round, Norm Smith winners Luke Shuey (second round) Ryan O'Keefe (third round) and Paul Chapman (second round) were all overlooked by every club in the competition. I could go on but for every inside mid taken in the first round, there would be scores of successful ones taken after. Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Touk Miller, Jarryd Lyons....................................think I've made my point and this situation is nothing like finding a key forward.
this is why i am dead against trading future picks in what looks like a talls draft next yr. inside mids are dime a dozen, decent key fwds are like hens teeth. surely our F1 is absolutely untouchable for this very reason. we are drafting for our future not just for next yr. 8 picks all with 1st 2 rounds over 2 yrs isn't worth minimising given our current position. rebuilding sides could only dream of that

Reactions: 9 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
U act like your the only one who knows about the draft. You‘re just an amateur draft nuffy Bullus. Its important not to forget that
this rubbish is why bully left last time. i for 1 enjoy the discussion & different opinions as i knew nothing at all about the kids before reading this thread. at the end of the day we are all amateurs but all enjoy the discussion & certainly in my case it helps me know enough to know how feel once the draft is over.

Reactions: 5 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
this is why i am dead against trading future picks in what looks like a talls draft next yr. inside mids are dime a dozen, decent key fwds are like hens teeth. surely our F1 is absolutely untouchable for this very reason. we are drafting for our future not just for next yr. 8 picks all with 1st 2 rounds over 2 yrs isn't worth minimising given our current position. rebuilding sides could only dream of that
Agree. You should always have your first round draft pick in tact each year. Imagine if we ended up getting Treloar. It would resulted in missing out on Prestia and Rioli.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I agree with not trading out of 2022 1st round or the north 2022 2nd rounder we have
Happy to trade Richmonds 2022 2nd rounder plus any of the 26/27/28 picks

Whilst Callaghan is clearly the #4 pick in this years draft at the moment im not too sure he is worth potentially 2 x top 10 picks spcially with very limited exposure the last 2 years and with the depth of KPP next year.

Keep our powder dry unless we can move up with this years selections , Pick #27 & #28 + Richmond 2022 2nd rounder to St Kilda for pick #9 is the trade i would like giving us 7 , 9 , 15 , 26

Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
You'd think Fremantle would be quite happy if Cal Twomey's October Phantom picks fell that way it would have them getting

#8 Rachelle
# 10 Erasmus
# 21 Van Rooyen

Clubs will be coming hard for their pick (21) though, being the 1st pick of round two so they might accept something too good to refuse.
I bet London to a brick they take Amiss with one of their first two picks.

Reactions: 2 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I bet London to a brick they take Amiss with one of there first two picks.
I also think they take Amiss with their 2nd pick and are seriously looking at Rachele with #6

Freo have traded for both Brodie & Clarke (inside mid and outside hb/wing)
They also have Lobb looking to leave and will be thinking next year he will again try to leave and will want a ready replacement so Amiss would be that player more than JVR. Small foward with midfield potential is another area of need

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I also think they take Amiss with their 2nd pick and are seriously looking at Rachele with #6

Freo have traded for both Brodie & Clarke (inside mid and outside hb/wing)
They also have Lobb looking to leave and will be thinking next year he will again try to leave and will want a ready replacement so Amiss would be that player more than JVR. Small foward with midfield potential is another area of need
Yep good summary Turkey. Rachele certainly makes so much sense in that context. I’m almost ready to lock that.