2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Provisional Top 50 (rankings)

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Josh Ward
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Rachele
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Josh Goater

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasmus
14. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Arlo Draper
20. Campbell Chesser

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition.

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Darcy Wilmot
23. Blake Howes
24. Michito Owens
25. Josh Fahey
26. Mitch Knevitt
27. Tom Brown
28. Connor MacDonald
29. Toby Conway
30. Cooper Murley

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Ned Long
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts & Long, both of whom can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Constable & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Josh Ward
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Rachele
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Josh Goater

Resembling the Joshua Tree this group is a blend of upside and relatively solid floors, don't think there will be any outright busts amongst this group. Many will be surprised by how high Johnson is but that's just emblematic of how high is upside is in comparison to the others.

Ok Bully based on those rankings and if picks went to your rankings, (and not where you think they'll go), we would miss out on Johnson, Ward, Hobbs and Rachelle so who would you take at pick #9, Gibcus or a midfielder?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Ok Bully based on those rankings and if picks went to your rankings we would miss out on Johnson, Ward, Hobbs and Rachelle :confused: so who would you take at pick #9, Gibcus or a midfielder?
Confirmation bias, @caesar. In all likelihood Bully rates at least one of them higher than where they'll land. Other clubs will have different rankings.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Ok Bully based on those rankings and if picks went to your rankings we would miss out on Johnson, Ward, Hobbs and Rachelle :confused: so who do Richmond take at pick #9
I think GWS will take Mac Andrew so I'm not concerned, but if they have a change of heart then I would probably take Gibcus & rejig my strategy a little. The value of Dean & Schlensog allows for a midfield focus but if Gibcus is our selection then I think we could start to pick off the midfielders & forwards.

9. Gibcus
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. MacDonald
32. Murley / Fejo Jnr.

I think that is a similar composition to a list including Rachele, Dean/Schlensog & Sinn/Wanganeed-Milera.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Confirmation bias, @caesar. In all likelihood Bully rates at least one of them higher than where they'll land. Other clubs will have different rankings.
I know that but still interested in the hypothetical if all 4 were off the board whether you would still take a mid or go Gibcus, Mac, Amiss for example

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
Hawks would be only giving up next years 1st.
This year they move up from 5 to 2.
Similar to the Crows & us really.
I doubt the Hawks would give up a future 1st with Kp's galore next year which they need.
Crows on the other hand.They may do it.
Who are these "Kp's galore" you talk about? How many and will we be in any better position to pick one that is better than available to us this year??????

gehring

Tiger Rookie
Oct 16, 2006
I think GWS will take Mac Andrew so I'm not concerned, but if they have a change of heart then I would probably take Gibcus & rejig my strategy a little. The value of Dean & Schlensog allows for a midfield focus but if Gibcus is our selection then I think we could start to pick off the midfielders & forwards.

9. Gibcus
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. MacDonald
32. Murley / Fejo Jnr.

I think that is a similar composition to a list including Rachele, Dean/Schlensog & Sinn/Wanganeed-Milera.
Like the switch, but would extend the strategy with Van Rooyen at 17 or Bazzo at 32.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015

9. Gibcus
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. MacDonald
32. Murley / Fejo Jnr.

I like Murley and hope he's on our radar for one of our picks in the 20's.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Josh Ward
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Rachele
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Josh Goater

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasumus
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Arlo Draper
20. Campbell Chesser

This group has A grade upside but might come with a lingering doubt or two. Many will be surprised by Erasmus being pegged so low but I wouldn't be risking him in the top ten given he's not quite an accomplished mid. There is enormous potential but with his kicking more B class I think there's some chance he lands in no mans world as a flanker without the kicking smarts of the best rebounders in the competition.

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Darcy Wilmot
23. Blake Howes
24. Michito Owens
25. Josh Fahey
26. Mitch Knevitt
27. Tom Brown
28. Connor MacDonald
29. Toby Conway
30. Cooper Murley

This group has some potential to become A grade but would require everything to go right, quite a few have inconsistent disposal which needs to be cleaned up at the highest level. I have Howes ranked higher than most but I've factored in plenty of upside and feel he could become an extremely damaging wingman/half forward. Very impressed with his overhead marking and work below the knees. Knevitt would be higher if not for his patchy disposal. Wilmot & Fahey project as flankers but very good ones so they deserve their top billing.

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Ned Long
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts & Long, both of whom can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Consatble & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

A bit of an odd ball collection, some with big upside like Alleer, some with a limited ceiling like Dean. Harrison is the athlete who may prove to be successful based on his athletic profile alone. Dittmar a solid pick if you're looking for a midfield addition.
Delighted if they fell in that way and if I had advance knowledge of that fact, I'd vote for keeping all of our picks and taking at 9, Erasmus, 17 Van Rooyen,
and in alphabetical order at 28, Alleer, 29 Fejo jr and 30 Macdonald. All imo best available at the pick, or start of the cluster, and joining to provide a great start to our rebuild.
Unfortunately it is not that easy.
Chesser unlucky.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015

1. Horne-Francis
2. Nick Daicos
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Josh Ward
6. Matthew Johnson
7. Ben Hobbs
8. Josh Rachele
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Josh Goater

11. Tyler Sonsie
12. Mac Andrew
13. Neil Erasumus
15. Josh Sinn
16. Jye Amiss
17. Zac Taylor
18. Sam Butler
19. Arlo Draper
20. Campbell Chesser

21. Jacob van Rooyen
22. Darcy Wilmot
23. Blake Howes
24. Michito Owens
25. Josh Fahey
26. Mitch Knevitt
27. Tom Brown
28. Connor MacDonald
29. Toby Conway
30. Cooper Murley

31. Ronald Fejo Jnr.
32. Judson Clarke
33. Rhett Bazzo
34. Brady Hough
35. Matt Roberts
36. Ned Long
37. Joshua Browne
38. Jesse Motlop
39. Jack Williams
40. Sam Banks

Such a mix here, most need plenty of development time with the exception of Roberts & Long, both of whom can be a little one paced. I read an article about Roberts having a similar impact to Dunstan. I think that says it all really, there's a number of guys like Dunstan & Brodie who could fill this void. Yet to be convinced that Roberts can eclipse the output of Consatble & Hately, that is effectively why he ranks so low.

41. Angus Sheldrick
42. Charlie Dean
43. Leek Alleer
44. Bodhi Uwland
45. Alastair Lord
46. Kade Dittmar
47. Marcus Windhager
48. Hugh Jackson
49. Paul Curtis
50. Harvey Harrison

Don't rate Charlie Molan BH or did you have him at 51?
:D

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

9. Gibcus
17. Taylor
30. Howes
31. MacDonald
32. Murley / Fejo Jnr.

We need our next AAA midfielder NOW , we d be as mad as a snake to go gibicus regardless of his standing , our midfield needs are more acute than def

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Who are these "Kp's galore" you talk about? How many and will we be in any better position to pick one that is better than available to us this year??????
At this early stage.

8. Harry Lemmey - South Aus/West Adel - 199cm(KPF)
9. Isaac Keeler - South Aus/North Adel - 197cm(Ruck/KPF)

16. Jackson Broadbent - West Aus/Peel - 205cm(Ruck)

21. Alex Condon - West Aus/Claremont - 201cm(Ruck)

25. Jedd Busslinger - West Aus/East Perth - 195cm(KPD)

31. Harvey Howe - Vic Country/Gipps - 200cm(Ruck)
33. Koby Cockshell - South Aus/Sth Adel - 195cm(KPD)

44. Brodie Tuck - South Aus/Central Dist - 193cm (forw/def)
45. Harry Barnett - South Aus/Wst Adel - 202cm(Ruck/KPD)

50. Will Verall - South Aus/Sth Adel - 200cm(Ruck)

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Like the switch, but would extend the strategy with Van Rooyen at 17 or Bazzo at 32.
If we chose to go with a mid first then I would rejig that to include Van Rooyen at 17, we could also push the key defender to the thirties or even later if Dean was a preferred option. I've pegged Bazzo a little higher based on his forward potential but as a defender he's roughly on par with Dean.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
If we chose to go with a mid first then I would rejig that to include Van Rooyen at 17, we could also push the key defender to the thirties or even later if Dean was a preferred option. I've pegged Bazzo a little higher based on his forward potential but as a defender he's roughly on par with Dean.
Yep Van Rooyen would be a excellent get at 17. What's you opinion on Charlie Dean mate showed a bit at Williamstown.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
We need our next AAA midfielder NOW , we d be as mad as a snake to go gibicus regardless of his standing , our midfield needs are more acute than def
Based on my rankings the top tier mids are off the table, but that is my preference too. In saying that I wouldn't reach for Sonsie, he's the type I would rather bundle a couple of twenties picks and grab in the mid teens. If we go Gibcus first we need to follow that with at least 2 mids, Taylor & Macdonald are value selections and fill an urgent need. Howes I'm looking at as a wingman, think he's got the game to tie down that position. Murley is also a mid but I expect him to play forward in his first couple of years.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Yep Van Rooyen would be a excellent get at 17. What's you opinion on Charlie Dean mate showed a bit at Williamstown.
I'm very bullish on Dean, seems to be supremely composed and has excellent penetration with his kicking, usually low and flat which cuts down the hangtime. I'm a fan even if he doesn't scamper down the field like Gibcus. He's a player who focuses on his strengths and doesn't attempt the low percentage plays. I reckon his impact will be similar to Thomas Highmore who looked really comfortable at AFL level. I reckon Highmore was thrown around like a ragdoll in his first few games, looked lost in the forward line and then found his niche in defence.

Stan

Tiger Cub
Nov 4, 2014
I like Murley and hope he's on our radar for one of our picks in the 20's.
I concur. FWIW.
Nice burst and can go forward.
Good user. Maybe Lambert could take him under his wing…. Similar size.
Not sure of his tank but coming second to Tom Powell in the BnF last year and being injury prone this year….
Maybe a steal at 20’s pick?!