2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

???, we have plenty of main list spots, no rookies spots though, unless that is what you meant

Expect our pick 28 in 2021, to turn into a pick in 2022 on draft night

Giving us an extra rookie, or supp list selection before round 1

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder if Liam Jones early retirement will affect the Blues draft strategy or it just looks like the kid they pinched from the Dogs will play alot of footy next year.

Not forgetting they wont have Marchbank for part of the year either

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
???, we have plenty of main list spots, no rookies spots though, unless that is what you meant
I guess I wasn't clear.
As I see it we effectively have 5 list spots and 5 early picks. To pre-list Schlensog we would have to forgo pick 28 or trade it.
There is no certainty to trade which would mean passing on 28 and taking Schlensog.

Admittedly we might have an agreed trade deal already.

But if we guaranteed Schlensog we should be using what would have been pick 83

I guess I wasn't clear.
As I see it we effectively have 5 list spots and 5 early picks. To pre-list Schlensog we would have to forgo pick 28 or trade it.
There is no certainty to trade which would mean passing on 28 and taking Schlensog.

Admittedly we might have an agreed trade deal already.

But if we guaranteed Schlensog we should be using what would have been pick 83
we currently have min 7 & max 9 spots available on main list & 0 on rookie list

To rookie Cumberland & Biggie ( has nominated for draft) we would need to upgrade 2 rookies

we currently have min 7 & max 9 spots available on main list & 0 on rookie list

To rookie Cumberland & Biggie ( has nominated for draft) we would need to upgrade 2 rookies
So if we upgrade 2 rookies and then take C & B.
Leaves 5 spots?

I know a few on here don't rate Matt Rendell but the below article is still an interesting look at a recruiters view on a few players from their under 16 year. He had the Vic pool substantially ahead of the rest. Recruiters won't forget and will back their early judgment, their will be bargains to be had for sure.

"4. Tyler Sonsie
Played mainly as a high half-forward but will be a midfield-forward at AFL level. Great skills on both sides of his body and decision-making is excellent. Work rate and competitiveness I really liked. But his influence on games was elite to go with being a natural goal kicker."

Reactions: 3 users
I reckon Leysy might be onto something, Hobbs at 15 still a chance, particularly if Ward goes to Hawthorn as expected.
Personally i dont believe Hobbs or Ward will slide to 15 and both will be gone but if we could somehow manufacture a trade with StKilda or the Eagles then it could be possible but reliant on the WA boys and how highly Erasmus,Amiss & Johnson are rated by freo/Eagles. But you are correct in having dreams

Reactions: 1 users
I like it BH but we would need to convert two of our 20's picks into an early teens pick for that to happen.
I would be approaching Brisbane

They need picks for points in 2022 for their kids
#26 +F2 for #18 would be a great trade alternatively St Kilda or Essendon might be looking at #26+#27

But if all else fails just make sure we pick the eyes out of this draft

Interesting.
Presumably not us as we don't yet have a list spot
Maybe or maybe not , I still think there could be a bit to play out regarding Schlensog , If we do have an interest then we may have committed to him verbally and would have made the call to either trade 2 x 2nd's to move up or trade out 1 of them in the draft then sign him as a FA as it has been mentioned in other articles regarding his eligibility (which there is conflicting reports)

But according to articles it was between Richmond and Geelong , Maybe Carlton may now have also entered the race with the retirement of Jones

Jon Ralph’s article late today says club sources are telling him they believe the top 5 selections will be -
1 Horne-Francis
2 Darcy
3 Callaghan
4 Daicos
5 Andrew

"4. Tyler Sonsie
Played mainly as a high half-forward but will be a midfield-forward at AFL level. Great skills on both sides of his body and decision-making is excellent. Work rate and competitiveness I really liked. But his influence on games was elite to go with being a natural goal kicker."
Proud parent post.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Jon Ralph’s article late today says club sources are telling him they believe the top 5 selections will be -
1 Horne-Francis
2 Darcy
3 Callaghan
4 Daicos
5 Andrew
Reckon that’ll be about right. Only slight query Andrew v Gibcus for the Suns.

Last edited:
I wonder if Liam Jones early retirement will affect the Blues draft strategy.
Picks 25 64 82.
Not much scope for strategy!
Can't see them changing too much with their pick 25, as Jones wouldn't be in their long term plans.

Though the Blues could take Schlensog which would be a sensible Option

Bugger. Was always a long shot, but was holding out hope against hope the Big Mac got through.

If the talk of Biggie nominating for the draft is correct, we'll have to select at least 2 talls, the cupboard is just about bare.

1 Horne-Francis
2 Darcy
3 Callaghan
4 Daicos
5 Andrew
I dont think you would need any sources to name the first 4 with Andrew the only real risk , Surprise he didnt say he ws confident that 5 out of 6 would be a mic of
Horne-Francis
Darcy
Callaghan
Daicos
Andrew
Rachele

Picks 25 64 82.
Not much scope for strategy!
Can't see them changing too much with their pick 25, as Jones wouldn't be in their long term plans.

Though the Blues could take Schlensog which would be a sensible Option
Im thinking Alleer & Bao would come into calculations at pick #25 and may even force North to take 1 of them earlier with their #20 selection