2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

I think the gap between Knevitt's best & worst is sizeable whereas Bont always seemed to appear fluid. I think Bont was a natural on the run whereas Knevitt is more proppy. I'm struggling to see another role for Knevitt apart from the midfield, but he does have a turn of speed which is the reason he's not sitting alongside Roberts & Long. Definitely an all or nothing selection but I suppose when you are carrying five top 30 picks you can afford to roll the dice on one or two.
Thanks.

I don't see Bont effective in any role other than midfield either. Thats why I see Knevitt similarly to Bont. He's more athletic than Cripps at a similar height. But Knevitt better athletically than Cripps. If he can improve his kicking, IMO, he could be a Bont clone (without any pressure of course!)

I think the gap between Knevitt's best & worst is sizeable whereas Bont always seemed to appear fluid. I think Bont was a natural on the run whereas Knevitt is more proppy. I'm struggling to see another role for Knevitt apart from the midfield, but he does have a turn of speed which is the reason he's not sitting alongside Roberts & Long. Definitely an all or nothing selection but I suppose when you are carrying five top 30 picks you can afford to roll the dice on one or two.
I think there have been many players with questionable kicking that have become very good players specially when they have the assets knevitt does , Size speed and ability to find and extract the ball as well as being a good mark. Im a believe his kicking can be improved and he also offers an option up foward with his size and marking.

At 1 of our later picks he certainly has the potential to become a value pick that has massive upside

Reactions: 1 user
Callaghan Smokie?
Pick 3, is that the GWS pick? Gets confusing with the father sons this year.

If it is, then the Hawks want Finn. If it’s later I’m thinking they want Andrew.

That's been said by Cal by memory but I'm not so sure we will pull the trigger on him at pick 7 (9). I still think he goes outside the top 10, now if we were able to snare Hobbs at 9 and Sinn at 17 wow! But perhaps unlikely to make it our 2nd first-rounder.

Draft Range

9-16

Potential Landing Spots

St Kilda (Pick 9), Brisbane (Pick 14), Richmond (Pick 15)

That would be the dream

the idea of pairing them with buddies is fine on your first day of Kinder,

but as men? seriously?
Not many 18 year olds qualify as “men” not now . Maybe in 1950 but unfortunately although kids grow up quicker they are more immature at 18 than any time in history IMO.

Geez - I'll have a bite on this one.

I don't think boys of that age could be considered adult or men at all - only for the rarest of exceptions. Boys are emotionally incomplete - they have a lot of growing to do. Having someone you trust to help you along that path is really important (assuming good character, of course).

Having a mate along with you could help enormously to adjust to interstate life, life away from home. I moved interstate when I was 32 and wished for 2 years I could have a few more mates about - and I had my wife with me! Some one to have a laugh with, to confide in, to have a whinge to. At 18 I would have been lost.

I think it's good drafting strategy to bundle mates together - so long as you're getting the players you want / need.

No way I'd do it with high picks for the sake of it - they'd need to good players in their own right. But as a drafting consideration - certainly part of the mix.
Great post. I didn’t grow up until I was in my 40”s. The world is full of men who are really boys. Fortunately you don’t really need to be a man to play football. Ask JDG, Toby Greene etc.

Reactions: 1 users
“November latest: Relentless inside midfielder Hobbs has been reportedly linked to the Tigers and they have also shown a keen interest in Ward, but the Northern Knights product may become a Hawk with the previous pick. Key forward Amiss is also in the mix and would address another glaring need. Goater would be difficult to resist if he fell to Richmond’s second selection, or will the the Tigers pounce on another Butler? As for their trio of picks in the 30s, Richmond has shown interest in crafty forward Motlop, while Bazzo could come into the equation as a tall defender.”
Hasnt Motlop had some dud games this year ? Very outside and low stats.

AFL Draft Central Ranking points (average per match)

1. Nick Daicos 136
2. Morgan Ferres 125
3. Connor McDonald 121
4. Zac Taylor 117
5. Cooper Murley 116
6. Joshua Browne 108
7. Jase Burgoyne 107
8. Hugh Jackson 107
9. Neil Erasmus 106
10. Lewis Rayson 103
11. James Willis 103
12. Blayne O'Loughlin 102
13. Angus Sheldrick 102
14. Arlo Draper 102
15. Josh Ward 101

* Johnson 93, Callaghan 87, Hobbs 86

Need to view these numbers with some trepidation, some players have been playing seniors so naturally they will have inferior stats. In any case it's a good guide as to potential bargains down the order.
I see that as being good for SuperCoach over anything else. The Prospectus really needs to come back, i am assuming u were a fan of that each yr?

Richmond

Draft picks: 7, 15, 26, 27, 28, 83

List needs: Inside midfielders, key forwards, outside speed, key defensive depth

Who could be available at first pick: Josh Rachele, Josh Ward, Ben Hobbs, Jye Amiss

Could be in the mix after that: Josh Goater, Josh Sinn, Sam Butler Zac Taylor, Angus Sheldrick, Jack Williams, Blake Howes

Richmond is crying out for inside midfielders after being smashed in the clinches last season, ranking dead last for stoppage-clearance differential and 16th for contested-possession differential. Ball-winning machine Hobbs would suit the Tigers’ needs perfectly, but will he still be on the board at seven (nine after bids)? Ward, an ultra-consistent midfielder likened to Zach Merrett, could also impact right away and may be on offer, while Rachele has the matchwinning traits as a forward-mid to be a superb option for the Tigers. Amiss is worth considering after the loss of Callum Coleman-Jones and Mabior Chol during the trade and free agency period. With five picks inside the top 30, Richmond could look to package selections to move up the board, but expect them to be sitting pretty either way with their strong hand. Line-breaking options Goater or Sinn may be available at the Tigers’ second pick, while draft bolter Sheldrick, a tough-as-nails 179cm midfielder and classy ball user Taylor look to be around the mark for their three picks in the 20s.

November latest: Relentless inside midfielder Hobbs has been reportedly linked to the Tigers and they have also shown a keen interest in Ward, but the Northern Knights product may become a Hawk with the previous pick. Key forward Amiss is also in the mix and would address another glaring need. Goater would be difficult to resist if he fell to Richmond’s second selection, or will the the Tigers pounce on another Butler? As for their trio of picks in the 30s, Richmond has shown interest in crafty forward Motlop, while Bazzo could come into the equation as a tall defender.