2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I think we need an independent review of bulluss and Redford to see who has been more accurate over the years in their assessment of junior footballers.

The ranking can be on a scale from Dodoro to Wells (or somewhere in between).

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I think we need an independent review of bulluss and Redford to see who has been more accurate over the years in their assessment of junior footballers.

Not that I've done any assessment for a dozen years or whatever, I would lose. But as long as I'm still well ahead of you and Nobets, that's all that matters.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

When it comes to reviews, consult the Bummers for good advice.

Reactions: 1 user

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005

Well put it this way, I put Redfern (Dodoro) on ignore after his ridiculous comments on the draft process last year and his lack of knowledge on how it all worked was pretty clear. Where I have nothing but respect for the work Bullus (Wells) does even though I may not agree with all of his thoughts I certainly respect his knowledge and the effort he puts in to putting that analysis together.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The fact I am the only one here willing to put the hours in running the phantom draft thread says it all really. All give & no take, not even the respect to produce any similar material and put your name & judgement on the line.
I'm no draft guru Bully but with respect I've run a heap of those Phantom drafts before you & so have others. Not that I'm looking for credit.

I think everyone needs to chill a bit here. It is just meant to be fun after all.

Reactions: 6 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I didn't misquote you or take you out of context or accuse you of anything of the sort. You had stated that you would have traded your 2019 first-rounder to get two picks to take Williams and Bytel in 2018. You then said you would have traded out of 2020 to get back into 2019. So you wouldn't have had pick 17 in 2021, which we obtained at the 2020 draft by trading the 2020 first-round pick you'd already traded in your hypothetical to get Bytel and Williams. So you couldn't have Johnson as well. That is all fact. If anything I just typed is wrong, I asked you at the time to explain how, which you didn't. Because it wasn't. You said I didn't credit you with the player you would have picked in 2019, but as far as I can tell you didn't nominate anyone, so it's a bit tough to credit you with Player X. I said you had that 2019 pick, just that you couldn't have Johnson.

If you put your opinions out there as strongly as you do - especially if you're going to compile threads that are basically "this is what I would have done" - you have to expect them to be questioned at times. And you have to have a thicker skin than claiming persecution when they are. Some people are blunter than others. Be the duck's back. It's a forum. Opinions fly back and forth and none of it should be taken too seriously.

As to your rankings, while I appreciate you put a lot of time into them, there is no void if you don't. No one asks or expects you to produce them, you've done that off your own bat. Some, as they've said, appreciate them because they don't get to see the kids. Others, who do watch the kids to greater or lesser extents, take them as no more or less than just another opinion like we all have. There are plenty of rankings put out by other pundits and they are all opinion, and none of them with the exception of Twomey's late mail turn out to be all that accurate.

(I rose to allybabe's bait in 2010 and posted my own top-75, so I understand a lot goes into compiling rankings. I'll never do it again because I don't have the depth of knowledge. I don't go to under-18s games. I don't know the kids or their families or circumstances. My opinions are all eye-based, from the vision available. You like to dig into analytics and testing more, that's fine. But I'd bet you don't go to under-18 games either, or at least not many.)

As you say, there are many fine contributors to draft threads. It's one of the things that makes PRE what it is. But we're all just arseholes with opinions. Some, like Reds and Bengal and Kong, know people and are told stuff and/or are even involved with under-18 clubs. Some like Scoop have other contacts and go to a few under-18s games. Some like me don't know anyone and back our eye.

You are not the guru. Neither am I, neither is Reds, neither is Scoop. None of us are. But we all have something to add. How others take it is not for us to worry about. I didn't give a *smile* last year when Kong bagged my judgement - he said there were only seven good players in what has turned out to be one of the deepest drafts in history, so what would he know! Scoop and I are famous for having similar usernames and vastly different player preferences. We disagree all the time, often vigorously, but neither of us takes it personally. Redders and Leysy challenge everyone to back up their calls and aren't shy if they disagree or find a flaw in your logic.

I think all that is part of what makes this a great forum. If you don't, no one is forcing you to be here. No one is persecuting you either. As Redders and I have both said, if you stay, great, we'll read your thoughts with interest. And if and when we have a problem with your reasoning, we'll probably continue to say so. It would be a boring forum otherwise.
All reasonable points but the trading of the first rounder was mentioned as a possibility given we had a strong F&S candidate, that point was omitted, as was the fact I made the comment 12 months prior to the season unfolding, there wasn't even a fixed pick, it was a given scenario, one which wasn't even discussed once pick 25 was in the kitty. There was not even one suggestion a year later, no players mentioned, just you coming up with a hypothetical that left me with no player in return, just a flippant remark about not having Johnson. That to me was unfair based on a throwaway line about the potential to buy back in. The trading of a first rounder was/is a high risk approach but one that probably came up trumps on this occasion, Dow still has time but the clock is ticking. We'll know in 2 years I suppose.

Anyhow, people need to stop with the snowflake calls, these recent posts have all been about testing the water for another tilt but I'm pretty worn down all things said and done. Last year was like a full time job & to be honest, my actual job did suffer but that is more a labour of love because I do enjoy watching the young kids strut their stuff.

No one expects me to do the lists, granted, but just a bit of refrain from the keyboard warrior jibes when I do make the effort would be appreciated. If I use my old data it's not about pretending to be a recruiter, it's the fact that I've collated it and tried to simulate an actual list building exercise, I've tried to factor in list sizes & have used our picks as best I can to try and come up with an apples for apples comparison. This is not about being the kingpin, it spawned initially out of years of frustration, particularly in the early 2000's when our recruiting stunk to high heaven. I just wanted to see just how easy or difficult it was to get things right. If I refer to these picks it's an exercise in assessing historical data and identifying opportunity cost. Nothing more, nothing less. I think you will find I'm also gracious about my mistakes, I'm not out to destabilise the current hierarchy either, but I do worry about the next batch of mids coming through, I hope I'm wrong but let's give these guys some more time to show their wares. Mind you, the situation isn't nearly as bad as I first thought, finals this year has been a pleasant surprise.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
All reasonable points but the trading of the first rounder was mentioned as a possibility given we had a strong F&S candidate, that point was omitted, as was the fact I made the comment 12 months prior to the season unfolding, there wasn't even a fixed pick, it was a given scenario, one which wasn't even discussed once pick 25 was in the kitty. There was not even one suggestion a year later, no players mentioned, just you coming up with a hypothetical that left me with no player in return, just a flippant remark about not having Johnson. That to me was unfair based on a throwaway line about the potential to buy back in. The trading of a first rounder was/is a high risk approach but one that probably came up trumps on this occasion, Dow still has time but the clock is ticking. We'll know in 2 years I suppose.

Anyhow, people need to stop with the snowflake calls, these recent posts have all been about testing the water for another tilt but I'm pretty worn down all things said and done. Last year was like a full time job & to be honest, my actual job did suffer but that is more a labour of love because I do enjoy watching the young kids strut their stuff.

No one expects me to do the lists, granted, but just a bit of refrain from the keyboard warrior jibes when I do make the effort would be appreciated. If I use my old data it's not about pretending to be a recruiter, it's the fact that I've collated it and tried to simulate an actual list building exercise, I've tried to factor in list sizes & have used our picks as best I can to try and come up with an apples for apples comparison. This is not about being the kingpin, it spawned initially out of years of frustration, particularly in the early 2000's when our recruiting stunk to high heaven. I just wanted to see just how easy or difficult it was to get things right. If I refer to these picks it's an exercise in assessing historical data and identifying opportunity cost. Nothing more, nothing less. I think you will find I'm also gracious about my mistakes, I'm not out to destabilise the current hierarchy either, but I do worry about the next batch of mids coming through, I hope I'm wrong but let's give these guys some more time to show their wares. Mind you, the situation isn't nearly as bad as I first thought, finals this year has been a pleasant surprise.
BH any feedback you can give will be greatly appreciated. No one here is an expert even though in our own minds we all think we are. It provides great debate and makes the mundane off season more bearable.
I like the banter and ongoing debate. Ultimately it makes this forum all the better.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
9 – Gibcus - Key defender (196cm/87kg)
17 – Sonsie – Midfielder (181cm/77kg)
28 - Taylor - Midfielder (180cm/74kg)
29 - Knevitt – Midfielder (193cm/81kg)
30 – Clarke – Small Forward (179cm/70kg)
Not bad AT, not bad at all. :clap2

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Ok, that's it.

Nobody appreciates the effort Leysy puts into his "near perfect" betting tips.

It's near a full time job putting all those winning "or losing" bets up.

Nobody else makes that effort. Not worth the ridicule.

See ya fellas.

• Haha

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Anyone know how Billyon McTavish-Sonton went this season?
Thought he showed something in the juniors and thought he,d make the grade

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Bully understand mate , but we're all here because we love the Tigers let's not forget that people. Feel free mate to answer a few queries if you like.

Any how Bully what's this year's draft strengths and weaknesses position wise ?.Should we go for Taranto or keep our picks.
How have you seen the crop of 2021 at the tigers ?
The emergence of Cumberland and Miller ?.

I like you surprisingly we have rejuvenate a bit on the run still plenty of work through , but still made finals and not relied on Dusty to.

Reactions: 1 users