2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Could be an opportunity to downgrade our first if other team's reach for talls we don't rate and we can pick up the mids we want anyway.

@Dont Argue Richmond rated Roughead, just thought they could get him at pick 4.

Those were the bad old days.

None of those guys got past pick 5, so the industry rated them highly.

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day, it’s a fact that our recruiting team rank every single player in the draft. 1-100. Clarke and Blair have been very clear on that.
I’m suggesting we trade down to pick up a player like Gibcus if we want a KPD bad enough. Or Andrew if we need a KPF/Ruck.
Our club may prioritise a need and be prepared to reach a couple of spots if they are convinced there’s not much in it.
No one here is suggesting we chase players way out of turn because we’re desperate.
If the club feels JVR is ranked 22 in the draft, they won’t pick him at 15 regardless.

It’s certainly a stimulating conversation.
Not sure they’re listening to us but I’m enjoying the banter.

Reactions: 1 users
They're certainly not listening to PRE. Blair tells me that every time he rings to ask my opinion. :p

I wouldn't be giving away draft capital for a defender. Bazzo should be there at one of our 20s picks.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
@Dont Argue Richmond rated Roughead, just thought they could get him at pick 4.

Those were the bad old days.

None of those guys got past pick 5, so the industry rated them highly.
Hawthorn bamboozled us.
Because our recruiter was on radio the night before the draft spilling the beans who we were going to select.
Hawthorn already knew we werent going after Franklin because he interviewed apparently really badly.
So our preferences were out in the open before the draft, when he said Deledio 'it will be nearly impossible not to select Brett at number 1'
So hawthorn took Roughhead at 2
Griffens went to Footscary at 3 (for a club crying out for a forward also ignored Franklin)
Tambling at 4
Franklin at 5
*Franklin wouldn't have lasted at Richmond. He a huge chip on his shoulders and we weren't a club that would've handled him.
It is what it is.

People have short memories Hawthorn also drafted Mitch Thorpe and Beau Dowler a couple years later with top 10 picks.
*smile* happens

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hawthorn bamboozled us.
Because our recruiter was on radio the night before the draft spilling the beans who we were going to select.
Hawthorn already knew we werent going after Franklin because he interviewed apparently really badly.
So our preferences were out in the open before the draft, when he said Deledio 'it will be nearly impossible not to select Brett at number 1'
So hawthorn took Roughhead at 2
Griffens went to Footscary at 3 (for a club crying out for a forward also ignored Franklin)
Tambling at 4
Franklin at 5
*Franklin wouldn't have lasted at Richmond. He a huge chip on his shoulders and we weren't a club that would've handled him.
It is what it is.

People have short memories Hawthorn also drafted Mitch Thorpe and Beau Dowler a couple years later with top 10 picks.
*smile* happens
Nailed it

Not convinced the talls are that bad in this draft. Less exposure thats all. You have Darcy, Gibcus, and Amiss all pushing for the top 10.

Last year was tall heavy in the first ten but the year before had two talls taken. And I think Darcy, Gibcus and Amiss are all quality talls.

1632185708911.png 1632185800573.png

Not convinced the talls are that bad in this draft. Less exposure thats all. You have Darcy, Gibcus, and Amiss all pushing for the top 10.

Last year was tall heavy in the first ten but the year before had two talls taken. And I think Darcy, Gibcus and Amiss are all quality talls.

View attachment 13608 View attachment 13609
Van Rooyen, Bazzo, Willams and Mac Andrew are also all likely to go top 25. That's 8 talls in the top 25 which is around 32%. An average or above average year for talls on those numbers.

Reactions: 3 users
Van Rooyen, Bazzo, Willams and Mac Andrew are also all likely to go top 25. That's 8 talls in the top 25 which is around 32%. An average or above average year for talls on those numbers.
Who of that group can take pack marks or intercept marks?
That's what we need

View attachment 13608 View attachment 13609
Yeah, but Darcy's unavailable and Gibcus probably too. You could argue Gibcus and Amiss are rising because of a lack of talls.

I'm not writing them off. I want to see more, that's all.

Reactions: 1 users
You have to fish where the fish are.

Saying "we must pick talls" gets you Vickery, Post and Griffens while the team behind you scoops up Sidebottom, Beams and Fyfe. Then you convince yourself you have enough talls and ignore Lynch for Conca.

This is a draft full of quick, skilled mids and hybrids. We need them too.

Some drafts don't have great talls. Look at 2016 - would you want to have spent pick 8 on Logue when you could have had Jye Simpkin? 2018 had the Kings, Lukosius (flanker) and then nothing except maybe Koschitzke and possibly Bailey Williams who both went post-35. Port took Rozee, Butters and Duursma and got Georgiades the next year. (Probably lucky that having declined Ben King that Georgiades fell to pick 19.)

Question marks on the talls in this draft, IMO.
Talking about fish.
How do we get Fischer McAsey out of Adelaide?

They're certainly not listening to PRE. Blair tells me that every time he rings to ask my opinion. :p

I wouldn't be giving away draft capital for a defender. Bazzo should be there at one of our 20s picks.
Hi Spook,

Love to have a beer with you one day mate. Reckon I agree with almost every post of yours re: draft and trading.

Mids and mids with the 1st two picks for me too. If anything, I'd try my darndest to get Pick 3 from GCS to guarantee Ward (although I really rate Sinn as posted before). Bazzo in the 20s was what I am hoping for also, am a fan. Wouldn't pick a tall in the top 10.

Reckon the only 2 clubs with a pick in the top 15 that can afford to 'reach' for a tall is GWS (overflowing with mids and HBFers on their list; I mean what luxury to play Taranto as a forward b/c he cant get into the midfield) or GCS with 3 - but even then, I wouldn't do that.

Reactions: 2 users
If you look at Mac Andrew as a key position player rather than a ruckman, how does he stack up against the W.A. talls ? If he was still there at 15 would be better to look at him ? No go home factor.
He's quick takes marks, kicks well.
This kid could play any position.
If I was picking him early I'd earmark him our forward line.
He's got pretty good defensive pressure for his size which won't have gone unnoticed.
Yeah, Andrew is a tantalising prospect. I think he does have KPP potential. He's easily the best athlete of the lot, takes a good grab and looks good on the lead. He will take time, though. 200cm and 70kg (I suggest 70 was at the start of the year and he's put some weight on since - we'll find out at the Combine).

I've suggested before we could consider Andrew at one of our first two picks. He won't last much longer than that, if at all.
I've felt all along this year will be interesting and this kid is part of that reason.
I'd like to think we'll hit this draft similar to Hawks in 2004 with their early picks.
2 talls early and then focus on the other positions.

We should end up with 4 picks inside the top 25 I would think for this draft, so maybe we can keep everyone happy.

FWIW I think best available for at least the 1st 2 and suspect we really want Ward, so may need to get upto the GCS pick. If they want to split it, would we consider Pick 3 for 15 and 17 (assuming we get 17 from the Dogs)? Or is that too much.