2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’ve been on Gibcus from Day 1 and won’t deviate. If we could trade down, I’d grab him.
We’re desperate for a developing tall illustrated by recruiting Tarrant which is a stop gap at best.
I had JVR as back up but am now convinced we’d have to take him at 15 which may be a reach.
Lack of talls have put a premium on these boys and have no idea how they compare to previous drafts. Hawks took one low last year in Barass. Wonder how he compares to the two above mentioned?

Reactions: 1 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I’ve been on Gibcus from Day 1 and won’t deviate. If we could trade down, I’d grab him.
We’re desperate for a developing tall illustrated by recruiting Tarrant which is a stop gap at best.
I had JVR as back up but am now convinced we’d have to take him at 15 which may be a reach.
Lack of talls have put a premium on these boys and have no idea how they compare to previous drafts. Hawks took one low last year in Barass. Wonder how he compares to the two above mentioned?
Do we have a perception that this years talls are not as good because there is a limited amount in this years draft or is the quality genuinely not there?

BTW - I agree. Getting Gibcus should be high on our priority list

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
They are both the same type of player, it won't work. Like having 2 full forwards, Roach & Taylor, Roach & Teasdale. Getting King to Richmond is ideal. on another note: Gold coast wants to swap their first rounder for multiples in the first round. this tells us there is a great opportunity for Richmond to use (potentially 4 second rounders into 2 first rounders. if we can get 4 quality kids at 3,7,15 & ?, this will set us up for years, then go specific selecting gap fills when they retire.

Hopefully this is the thinking here. Get as many picks in the top 20/30. Also helps with the salary cap. 6 new kids on minimum contracts, then get the top players contracts paid now and free up space for free agents or trades, like Tom Green

Reactions: 1 user

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
It’s getting harder and harder for me to think of reasons why we shouldn’t draft Amiss with our first pick after Chol & CCJ have moved on. Huge swing by me I know but I think it may be necessary.
I'm in the same boat. We'll get a mid at the next pick.
Getting a KPF in to learn from Jack and Tom, needs to happen now.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You have to fish where the fish are.

Saying "we must pick talls" gets you Vickery, Post and Griffens while the team behind you scoops up Sidebottom, Beams and Fyfe. Then you convince yourself you have enough talls and ignore Lynch for Conca.

This is a draft full of quick, skilled mids and hybrids. We need them too.

Some drafts don't have great talls. Look at 2016 - would you want to have spent pick 8 on Logue when you could have had Jye Simpkin? 2018 had the Kings, Lukosius (flanker) and then nothing except maybe Koschitzke and possibly Bailey Williams who both went post-35. Port took Rozee, Butters and Duursma and got Georgiades the next year. (Probably lucky that having declined Ben King that Georgiades fell to pick 19.)

Question marks on the talls in this draft, IMO.

Reactions: 16 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Just looking at Van Rooyen and what might happen after our pick.

St KIlda- could pair him up with King, need a tall defender.
Essendon- Took forwards last year but with Hooker and Hurley aging, there's a real chance.
Sydney- Think they look at midfield.
GWS - second pick, they need a forward and a back so I think this is the prime landing spot.
Brisbane- probably not, think they need more class and runners. Think Rochelle is perfect for them.

There are three clubs that are in the market for talls by my reckoning, I think if he plays well this week there is no chance he is available at our second pick. For me GWS definitely go tall at their second pick and JVR looks the fit.
IMO i reckon Bris will be after a tall given Hipwood will miss most of/all of next yr. they may look to State leagues/mature age tho as they'll need an impact next yr.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
IMO i reckon Bris will be after a tall given Hipwood will miss most of/all of next yr. they may look to State leagues/mature age tho as they'll need an impact next yr.
Hipwood is tall, but he's not a tall. They have Daniher and McStay and young Whatshisname who is coming along pretty well.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

Saying "we must pick talls" gets you Vickery, Post and Griffens while the team behind you scoops up Sidebottom, Beams and Fyfe. Then you convince yourself you have enough talls and ignore Lynch for Conca.

This is a draft full of quick, skilled mids and hybrids. We need them too.

Some drafts don't have great talls. Look at 2016 - would you want to have spent pick 8 on Logue when you could have had Jye Simpkin? 2018 had the Kings, Lukosius (flanker) and then nothing except maybe Koschitzke and possibly Bailey Williams who both went post-35. Port took Rozee, Butters and Duursma and got Georgiades the next year. (Probably lucky that having declined Ben King that Georgiades fell to pick 19.)

Question marks on the talls in this draft, IMO.
Besides the kings, lyold made me dislike them even before they were drafted, who have been top rated talls?
McNaughton is and should've been pick 1
Oscar Allen polled brownlow votes before Simpson destroyed him in the ruck and he hurt his knee.
The last Tall that was news heading into a draft, that i remember is Kruser.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Besides the kings, lyold made me dislike them even before they were drafted, who have been top rated talls?
McNaughton is and should've been pick 1
Oscar Allen polled brownlow votes before Simpson destroyed him in the ruck and he hurt his knee.
The last Tall that was news heading into a draft, that i remember is Kruser.
Jackson says hi

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

conversely, they scoop up franklin, roughhead and pavlich

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Vickery looked good at the time.
Everyone had forwardsight on Franklin, Roughead and Pav. I'll give you Vickery.

My point is if you're taking the best of an ordinary bunch, you're getting an ordinary player.

Reactions: 3 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
Everyone had forwardsight on Franklin, Roughead and Pav. I'll give you Vickery.

My point is if you're taking the best of an ordinary bunch, you're getting an ordinary player.
If you look at Mac Andrew as a key position player rather than a ruckman, how does he stack up against the W.A. talls ? If he was still there at 15 would be better to look at him ? No go home factor.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If you look at Mac Andrew as a key position player rather than a ruckman, how does he stack up against the W.A. talls ? If he was still there at 15 would be better to look at him ? No go home factor.
Yeah, Andrew is a tantalising prospect. I think he does have KPP potential. He's easily the best athlete of the lot, takes a good grab and looks good on the lead. He will take time, though. 200cm and 70kg (I suggest 70 was at the start of the year and he's put some weight on since - we'll find out at the Combine).

I've suggested before we could consider Andrew at one of our first two picks. He won't last much longer than that, if at all.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Plenty of talls in the mix.
Darcy, Gibcus both likely gone before our picks.
WA Amiss, JVR, Williams, Bazzo,
SA Lukas Cook, Lukac.
Vic Mac Andrew

There will be availability at 15 and later picks. Plus a bunch of good mids.
Best available at both 7 and 15