2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
Hi Archy,

I have always valued your opinion. Your comment makes sense - 4/5 picks inside 20/30 is great. Good outcome.

But to lose 2 x talls in one swoop (even just average talls) when both our tall fowards are 29+ and 33+ at the beg of 2022; Soldo back from an ACL and Balta a bad ankle is worrying. No Dave as backup. Miller 1 game.
I do like Samson Ryan though.
Hey Bob,
If I asked you the question straight after the 2017 draft, if we could win 2 out of the next 3 premierships but after that we are going to lose 3 out of our top 4 players we selected, Would you take that outcome??
I don’t want to lose them either but if we do, it’s one of the pitfalls of being what we have been.
I’ll ask everyone, What would you do if you were in CCJ or Chols shoes bringing everything into consideration?? To me it’s a very tough choice of staying or going as the grass isn’t always greener or better the devil you know.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Draft for talent when you have a balanced list profile.
We literally have no developing tall forwards.
Trading for need stated today.
Hope they’ve got something up their sleeves because the cupboard is bare.
Jack Watts n Paddy McCartin say Hi. :eek:

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
As for waiting another year, we need Jack to mentor a developing junior whilst he’s still playing. We don’t want to break the link. That will put us even further behind.
So Lynchman can't mentor any new forward prospects??

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Don't care about losing Chol but losing CCJ will suck. He's 22yo and has 8 years left, 6 of them at peak performance.

Anyway, out of interest I looked at Aaron Naughton's pre-draft profile to see what people were saying about him. I intended to compare it to current draftees. Naughton went at 9. I love the way he attacks the ball in the air. For those who can't be bothered looking, Naughton was considered to be a defender.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We need to target Bulldogs Pick 19. This can be done by giving 40, 44 and our compo pick for Chol. Points wise we are covered.

We also need to go hard and get pick 20 off Norf for CCJ.

We then end up with 7, 15, 19 & 20.

Reactions: 6 users

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
Over the moon. But how?
We already have 7 & 15 from memory.
Get pick 20 for CCJ.
Whatever pick we get for Chol, let’s say worst case scenario it’s pick 50 odd.
Trade picks 28,40,44 & 50 for Bulldogs first this year and 2nd next year. Based on same ladder position as this year, Bulldogs still come out in front points wise.
We end up with picks 7, 15, 17/18, 20 & 26 this year and a bonus 2nd next year.
Something to mull over.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
So Lynchman can't mentor any new forward prospects??
Jack is a generational IQ talent.
A coach in waiting.
I’d have him coaching juniors every day of the week over Lynch.
That’s why now is so important.
Not every great player is a great mentor although not suggesting Lynch is no good.
But he’s no Jack Riewoldt

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Hey Bob,
If I asked you the question straight after the 2017 draft, if we could win 2 out of the next 3 premierships but after that we are going to lose 3 out of our top 4 players we selected, Would you take that outcome??
I don’t want to lose them either but if we do, it’s one of the pitfalls of being what we have been.
I’ll ask everyone, What would you do if you were in CCJ or Chols shoes bringing everything into consideration?? To me it’s a very tough choice of staying or going as the grass isn’t always greener or better the devil you know.
100% I'd take the outcome.

And I dont blame either player, in fact the last paragraph in The age article (about lack of VFL making it even harder for young players to show their wares), really shines a light on why they need to seek out more opportunity. I am just surprised we 'let' both go.

I actually dont rate either player too highly - although CCJ will do well at North, he's suited to Marvel.

Just losing both when we have not much in talls is a surprise.

Dont want to jump at shadows, but I'm a litte worried about some of the functioning in the footy dept. Not so much Blair and Clarke (even though the loss of Chol and CCJ is in their dept).

But can someone tell me - what does Tim Livingstone do? Is he the boss of the coaches? Is it his role to structure the Coaches/does he have a say in Match C. He just doesnt strike me as the kind of footy leader like Graham Wright, Rob McCartney, etc. I feel since the restructure in 2020, even though we won the flag... there's just some stuff that doesnt seem as strong as 2017-2019. Just gut feel, nothing else.

Reactions: 1 user

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
We need to target Bulldogs Pick 19. This can be done by giving 40, 44 and our compo pick for Chol. Points wise we are covered.

We also need to go hard and get pick 20 off Norf for CCJ.

We then end up with 7, 15, 19 & 20.
Yep, need Dogs to come to the party. Naughton firing, Ugle Hagan in the background for next season and Darcy’s kid to get a bid.
Cmon Dogs, let’s play ball.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002

And I dont blame either player, in fact the last paragraph in The age article (about lack of VFL making it even harder for young players to show their wares), really shines a light on why they need to seek out more opportunity. I am just surprised we 'let' both go.

I actually dont rate either player too highly - although CCJ will do well at North, he's suited to Marvel.

Dont want to jump at shadows, but I'm a litte worried about some of the functioning in the footy dept. Not so much Blair and Clarke (even though the loss of Chol and CCJ is in their dept).

But can someone tell me - what does Tim Livingstone do? Is he the boss of the coaches? Is it his role to structure the Coaches/does he have a say in Match C. He just doesnt strike me as the kind of footy leader like Graham Wright, Rob McCartney, etc. I feel since the restructure in 2020, even though we won the flag... there's just some stuff that doesnt seem as strong as 2017-2019. Just gut feel, nothing else.
Good to have you back mate. Hope all is well.

• Haha

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Btw If CCJ did stay, Lynch can be a great CHF... And CCJ could be FF. Lynchy is at his best when he get's some room to move. Assuming his knee holds up of course.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We already have 7 & 15 from memory.
Get pick 20 for CCJ.
Whatever pick we get for Chol, let’s say worst case scenario it’s pick 50 odd.
Trade picks 28,40,44 & 50 for Bulldogs first this year and 2nd next year. Based on same ladder position as this year, Bulldogs still come out in front points wise.
We end up with picks 7, 15, 17/18, 20 & 26 this year and a bonus 2nd next year.
Something to mull over.
I posted something similar. We will definitely have an ample amount of picks to work out something. We need to get creative!

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River

So we win 3 out of the last 4 flags and nearly every player on our list is exhausted, we have a plethora of injuries this year, our footy department doesn’t have big names throughout it and you’re concerned??
I’m quite chuffed....
Sure, I don’t like seeing up and comers leave but I can understand why they would.

Reactions: 2 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Good to have you back mate. Hope all is well.
I see how you are being smart:unsure:

I float in and out depending on work.
Picked Melb early this year, not jumping at shadows. But ultimately as Gale said on SEN, we finished 12th this year and that's something we need to be serious about.
Standards slipped up North last year, Dimma has some press conferences he'd regret this year, Daniel/Shai punch up at a nightclub, strange MC decisions, 2 very good assistants leave last year. Dont know, NQR I reckon.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Not sure what you’re getting at?
Both were rated number one picks by their clubs and picked accordingly.
Are you suggesting don’t recruit talls early?
Buddy Franklin says hi back
No, I'm suggesting don't pick the KPP bloke just because you need a KPP and ignore better talent that's available. Especially with your premium selection.

ARCHYBOY

Tiger Superstar
Mar 30, 2010
Little River
I posted something similar. We will definitely have an ample amount of picks to work out something. We need to get creative!
Yeah I just read that Smoking......Great minds think alike.
In fear of sounding like a big noter, A recruiter from another club mentioned to me in conversation that he is very envious of the position we are in this coming draft.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
I see how you are being smart:unsure:

I float in and out depending on work.
Picked Melb early this year, not jumping at shadows. But ultimately as Gale said on SEN, we finished 12th this year and that's something we need to be serious about.
Standards slipped up North last year, Dimma has some press conferences he'd regret this year, Daniel/Shai punch up at a nightclub, strange MC decisions, 2 very good assistants leave last year. Dont know, NQR I reckon.
Not trying to be smart or sarcastic. I thought you may have been the Bob who I once went to Mildura with along with Mr Brightside.