2021 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2021 Draft Thread

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Not trying to be smart or sarcastic. I thought you may have been the Bob who I once went to Mildura with along with Mr Brightside.
wish it was me - would have been a blast with you both, would have had a ripper time.

Feb 25, 2007
There’s a lot of recruiters jealous of Richmond’s draft hand – and rightly so.

Compared to the past five years, the Tigers are now in unfamiliar territory. Not only did they miss finals this year, they have a stacked draft hand that includes two picks in each of the first, second and third rounds – and that’s before any possible trade involving Callum Coleman-Jones. As it stands, that’s Picks 7, 15, 26, 28, 40 and 44.

It gives Richmond ample scope at the trade table to add players to a list still seen by experts as flag contenders next year. At the same time, it’s a golden chance for the Tigers to add top-end talent via the draft.

If they went down the path of the latter, they’d then have the option of packaging up those selections and offering them to a rival club in a bid to move up the draft order.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/draft/afl-draft-2021-order-news-top-prospects-future-trade-selections-new-bidding-rules-mac-andrew-melbourne/news-story/3f9c57e3ca550bbc86b0fc21bfa5bed0

Reactions: 1 users
Feb 25, 2007

AFL Draft 2021 Dossier: Profiles and stats on all the top prospects​

All eyes are about to turn to the 2021 AFL Draft. Get to know who’s available in our interactive dossier featuring full profiles and stats on 70 of the country’s best prospects.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I’m not saying we would, I’m hinting that there would be further trades there after that would net us that result.
I also disagree that the 2017 draft was a bust. Would people rather we played the players that have left / might be leaving and miss out on a premiership or two??
It’s called a trade off for being successful/ a dynasty.
I agree it's a failed crop but it isn't the recruiters fault. They can all play, CJ would have played more if he was at pretty much any other Club over the last 4 yrs.
Getting the 4 inside 20 & 5 inside 30 after trading would be a very good outcome overall. Inside mids are our biggest need & now KPF's are as well so we are going to need them

Reactions: 1 user

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Not sure what you’re getting at?
Both were rated number one picks by their clubs and picked accordingly.
Are you suggesting don’t recruit talls early?
Buddy Franklin says hi back
The vast majority of decent key fwds were all taken in the 1st round. it's very rare you get a decent one outside that range.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
We already have 7 & 15 from memory.
Get pick 20 for CCJ.
Whatever pick we get for Chol, let’s say worst case scenario it’s pick 50 odd.
Trade picks 28,40,44 & 50 for Bulldogs first this year and 2nd next year. Based on same ladder position as this year, Bulldogs still come out in front points wise.
We end up with picks 7, 15, 17/18, 20 & 26 this year and a bonus 2nd next year.
Something to mull over.
To further the question you put to us earlier, if u (post '17 GF) could take 2 of the next 3 flags, lose 3 of the 4 draftees & end up with a haul like that a yr after going back to back we'd all be laughing all the way to the Draft.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Lots of angst here, how about some perspective.

2 premiership players have retired, not great, but that happens.

2 young talls are leaving. Ok, would prefer to keep CCJ, but this is a team that has won 3 of the last 4 premierships. Yet the 2 talls who are leaving have played in zero premierships between them.

Yeah, we could have picked better in the 2017 draft, ain't hindsight a b1tch.

We have a decent draft hand, we also have too many picks really. So, what do you reckon our recruiters are going to do? Gee, couple of clubs out there looking for points, I reckon we will be trying to trade up and Footscray are the obvious target. They want points, we have points, we want early draft picks, they have a first round pick which won't be a really high first round pick - it is a deal too obvious for either club to ignore.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Lots of angst here, how about some perspective.

2 premiership players have retired, not great, but that happens.

2 young talls are leaving. Ok, would prefer to keep CCJ, but this is a team that has won 3 of the last 4 premierships. Yet the 2 talls who are leaving have played in zero premierships between them.

Yeah, we could have picked better in the 2017 draft, ain't hindsight a b1tch.

We have a decent draft hand, we also have too many picks really. So, what do you reckon our recruiters are going to do? Gee, couple of clubs out there looking for points, I reckon we will be trying to trade up and Footscray are the obvious target. They want points, we have points, we want early draft picks, they have a first round pick which won't be a really high first round pick - it is a deal too obvious for either club to ignore.

DS
And one of those talls leaving was previously delisted right?
And the re-rookied.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We have a decent draft hand, we also have too many picks really.
Agree with most of your comments SSS, but with six very good picks and already five off the list, plus the list also at the point of needing a refresh. We actually don't have too many picks.
Hoping we can condense some picks for even earlier ones, nothing wrong with scooping up as much cream as possible when you've got a ladle instead of a teaspoon. Then perhaps find a roughie or two late draft or pre season draft.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I like what's going on.
It's the refresher we needed.
Dave and Bachar looked very tired at times this year. Chol and Jones were touted as leaving earlier on in the year so no great surprise. Naish never quite had enough. There may still be more to go?
We have Soldo returning. Samson and Mate as developing talls.
We have excellent draft picks, some of which may be used to get someone with experience in.
And we have clever list and recruitment managers.
No problem.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I like what's going on.
It's the refresher we needed.
Dave and Bachar looked very tired at times this year. Chol and Jones were touted as leaving earlier on in the year so no great surprise. Naish never quite had enough. There may still be more to go?
We have Soldo returning. Samson and Mate as developing talls.
We have excellent draft picks, some of which may be used to get someone with experience in.
And we have clever list and recruitment managers.
No problem.

yeah I like it too.

in the old days, tantalising, erratic talls stayed on the list without delivering much for 6-7 years,

now its 4-5 years.

eventually, someone we let go or who chooses to go, will become a very good player,

but that's a decent price to get rid of dozens of under-performers.

we are watching a live dynastically rapid bounce IMHO.

of course we will need a bit of luck and a lot of judiciousness at the draft.

But we've got luck and judiciousness coming out our arses

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Some real interesting prospects talked about in the video. All to be available around picks 15 - 25.

Chesser is the interesting one. Was touted as top 10 pick before the season started. However injuries and then cancellation of the season has seen him fallen. One to watch with our Geelong pick

15. Campbell Chesser​

Midfielder/defender
186cm/83kg
27/4/03
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country

Chesser is an attacking player who moves well, kicks long and plays with energy. The mobile midfielder has also been used off half-back and on the wing at stages and has shown he can impact games with his kicking and run. A knee injury has bugged him this season, seeing him go in for surgery earlier this year and cause some more disruption but if games get back for Victorian prospects the 18-year-old, who is considered one of the most solid characters in the group, will be ready to hit the ground running.

18. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera​

Midfielder
187cm/69kg
22/2/03
Glenelg/South Australia

One of the best kicks in the draft. You want the ball in Wanganeen-Milera's hands because his capacity to find a teammate with a long or short kick is as good as any in the pool, often perfectly weighting his passes. Wanganeen-Milera is a wingman who can also play off the flanks at either end and his size and shape makes him a modern prototype. The nephew of Essendon and Port Adelaide great Gavin Wanganeen and son of former Saint Terry was his side's best player in its opening championships game against Western Australia with a poised display. One who could spike late.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Some real interesting prospects talked about in the video. All to be available around picks 15 - 25.

Chesser is the interesting one. Was touted as top 10 pick before the season started. However injuries and then cancellation of the season has seen him fallen. One to watch with our Geelong pick

15. Campbell Chesser​

Midfielder/defender
186cm/83kg
27/4/03
Sandringham Dragons/Vic Country

Chesser is an attacking player who moves well, kicks long and plays with energy. The mobile midfielder has also been used off half-back and on the wing at stages and has shown he can impact games with his kicking and run. A knee injury has bugged him this season, seeing him go in for surgery earlier this year and cause some more disruption but if games get back for Victorian prospects the 18-year-old, who is considered one of the most solid characters in the group, will be ready to hit the ground running.

18. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera​

Midfielder
187cm/69kg
22/2/03
Glenelg/South Australia

One of the best kicks in the draft. You want the ball in Wanganeen-Milera's hands because his capacity to find a teammate with a long or short kick is as good as any in the pool, often perfectly weighting his passes. Wanganeen-Milera is a wingman who can also play off the flanks at either end and his size and shape makes him a modern prototype. The nephew of Essendon and Port Adelaide great Gavin Wanganeen and son of former Saint Terry was his side's best player in its opening championships game against Western Australia with a poised display. One who could spike late.
Lol. The Tombstone just stole my Tarryn Thomas call about NWM is that clip. I'm a fan, I want him as one of our picks.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
I wonder if our thinking has changed now that both CCJ and Chol are almost out the door.

You would think we call out Gibcus name regardless if he is still on the board with our first pick. Van Rooyen is also a must with one of our picks in the 20's.
That was my thinking before we knew they were going.
Let everyone else clamber over mids and get a couple of KP types early.

• Love

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I wonder if our thinking has changed now that both CCJ and Chol are almost out the door.

You would think we call out Gibcus name regardless if he is still on the board with our first pick. Van Rooyen is also a must with one of our picks in the 20's.

If we can move towards 4 picks inside 20 I sill think you go best available. If you have 6 inside 30, it's a different, you can target postions. There is a trend towards drafting bunches of players in the same position of late. It's going to be so interesting. I've woke up ok with CCJ and Chol going, let's go get the kids and start again, go and get Talia and Lynch and we can win short term and long term.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
would we be entertaining the thought of getting the No.1 off North in a CCJ deal?

would we rate any of the Top 3 prospects highly enough to sell the farm?

CCJ, 7 and ? for pick 1?

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
would we be entertaining the thought of getting the No.1 off North in a CCJ deal?

would we rate any of the Top 3 prospects highly enough to sell the farm?

CCJ, 7 and ? for pick 1?
Love your thinking EZY but Norf would have to be drunk to take that deal.

They know they can get CCJ for at worst a pick in the 20's and still get arguably the best kid in the draft.

Reactions: 2 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Lol. The Tombstone just stole my Tarryn Thomas call about NWM is that clip. I'm a fan, I want him as one of our picks.

Whats your thoughts on Chesser?