2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Love your work and contribution Bully. You with Cesar in particular, provide this site with first rate information and insight.
Season over. My warmest regards and thanks to you both.

Season over?? Its just getting started for Caesar :D

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Eight unlucky players, Syzbkowski, Hagen, Gilbey, Phillips, Sadler, Teal, Lovelock & Corbett. Hopefully this is just a set back, still time if you get into the state leagues and prove your worth. The mid season draft is the goal now, best of luck lads & I hope to see your name in neon lights next year.
Hopefully some will get an SSP opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Hopefully some will get an SSP opportunity.
We will definitely bring players in to train over summer. If we don't like them, then we just hold the spot over to the MSD, but I reckon we will ask 3-4 to come down and train with us through Jan and Feb

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Reckon we are going all in to find a replacement for Lambert.
Clarke, Green, Campbell

That role is perceived as critical

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
Any idea why bull? Over-rated? Attitude?
Shattered for young Sibba but the tribe has spoken unfortunately.

At some stage once the heat goes down I will try and find out what the feedback was from clubs to improve etc...as my Son and him are still good mates.

Whatever it was all teams agreed, so hopefully it's fixable.

• Sad

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yeah, Szybkowski's an interesting one. Let's see what happens.
Really feel for Sibba. My son was at school with him. Great kid and a great family.
Can only think that he lack of speed was the main issue. However, whilst he wasn't the fastest kid going he was a very balanced mover through traffic and had great footwork and really fast hands.
And he copped COVID just before the NAB GF and his performances in that and the VM v VC game were down on his usual standards so no doubt he was still recovering from that.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
big risk putting all the eggs in that basket though. No guarantees it works out. Needed a tall here.. even a project tall.
Not really risky at all.
If they’ve got an agreement in principle with a proven free agent KPF or have a trade up their sleeve, it’s probably the safest route you can go.
We don’t have a future 1st next year to trade with so speculating it’s a free agent atm.
Not having to speculate with an unproven junior a huge advantage.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
You can't win em all and you can't have everything. Maybe we would have taken a punt on Lemmy or Scully if they'd been there, but a strong theme of our drafting, which has been successful, is that we have our criteria and we stick to it. If you don't meet it you won't be drafted, regardless of how tall you are.

No list is ever perfectly balanced with no weaknesses. We need another young KF sure, but they are hard to come by and the cupboard ain't bare.

Reactions: 7 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Don't know about all the kids but I do like the look of Phillipou. Time will tell but I think for once the Saints have got a beauty there at pick 10.
Adrian Dildo reported a brief exchange he had with Phillipou after he was drafted by St Kilda.
Apparently Phillipou said “Elija better be good”!
Classic

• Haha

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Pretty sure we have 3 spots , Most likely will use 2 and save 1 for the mid season draft

which KPF remain that may suit
I cant help but think that next big Key Forward is most likely playing at another club Turk! What's your opinion on it?

The drafting shows the Tigers are into known commodities with the Talls after taking Tyler (known commodity) as a rookie and leaving the main draft alone for talls.

They rate Tyler better and I reckon JR8's replacement is being hunted from elsewhere, otherwise we would have drafted one out of desperation.

Others have pointed this out and I'm starting to come around to this theory.

I'm glad the Tigers have left one spot available to allow some flexibility.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Great to see the reaction videos of the guys and their families when getting their names called out!

Pure excitement looks like the Tigers have picked up another 2 WA kids who wont be in a hurry to go back home.

Both wrapt to be selected as were their family and friends.

Great to see.

Congratulations boys.

Reactions: 4 users

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Any idea why bull? Over-rated? Attitude?
Ok, here's my final thoughts on the unlucky 8.

Mitch Szybkowski - I felt he has done everything asked of him, as an academy player he struck me as ultra professional, a two way runner, very consistent & a reasonably well rounded midfield game. Perhaps too one paced? That would be reasoning, reminds me of Luke Bunker a few years back, I also liked him but he was never given the opportunity. I daresay he's one who could easily find a way onto a list. Looking at a similar type in Joshua Browne, I think he needs to go back to the state leagues and prove the naysayers wrong.

Ethan Phillips - Some seriously good intercept numbers, the first player who came to mind was McGovern, what he lacks in pace he makes up for with his anticipation and reading of the play. I think he gets a shot but it won't be this year, prime candidate for the midseason draft.

Jed Hagan - Tenacious warrior type who didn't get recognised, not sure to be honest, I think there was an abundance of similar types and that has seen a few glaring omissions. Thought he'd be good as a rookie at the very least. Perhaps it was the lack of zip, perhaps it was the height, or maybe the combination tipped him out of the equation.

Archie Lovelock - Having so many small forwards in the pool made the road to an AFL list all the more difficult, nothing wrong with his game, I had him ahead of Drury who got drafted, these calls can come down to things so trivial as the go-home factor. I think he's still in the frame, probably needs a 30 goal season to put himself back in contention. He's a much better player than Rowe who got delisted this year.

Sam Gilbey - Probably suffers from a similar fate as the small forwards who missed out, so many flankers to choose from, Luke Teal another very stiff player.

Luke Teal - Same deal as Gilbey, could easily have been picked up and still stands some chance next year if he performs at state level.

Marlin Corbett - Can't do much more than he's done, senior exposure tick, sound kicking technique tick, played well at state level and is AFL fit and ready to roll. Gold Coast would be silly to let him slip through at this stage.

Reactions: 13 users