2022 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2022 Draft Thread

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Got a source at Hawthorn and some inhouse mail coming through.

They are over the moon with Cam MacKenzie, seeing things in match sim that have them convinced he is an A grader. Seeing Pendlebury type things.

And Josh Weddle is performing in every role they play him in. And is physical, ready to go. They think both are destined to play a lot of football this year.

I'm not convinced on MacKenzie, but good luck to him.

He has a nice shoe but looks slow and not particularly hard at it. He'll need a heap of footy smarts to make it with those attributes. I was surprised when the Hawks picked him ahead of Clarke.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I'm not convinced on MacKenzie, but good luck to him.

He has a nice shoe but looks slow and not particularly hard at it. He'll need a heap of footy smarts to make it with those attributes. I was surprised when the Hawks picked him ahead of Clarke.
I was the same, thought he was a bit vanilla. I would've taken Clarke as well.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I was the same, thought he was a bit vanilla. I would've taken Clarke as well.
I reckon the vanilla label is more appropriate for Clark to be honest, but in saying that, vanilla is the new black, just need to look at the last few Brownlow counts to see where the game is headed. McKenzie might appear vanilla, his kicking is often short but his accuracy cannot be faulted, he also slips into that elite category for height, this gives him the edge over the vertically challenged Clark in my opinion. I also don't think Clark's kicking is in the top bracket, Wardlaw is the same so it's not necessarily a deal breaker but as an extractor I think Wardlaw is at the top of the class. So in summary, the Hawks have picked the right bloke when comparing those two, I still would have taken Phillipou myself, slightly riskier but a bigger upside, I guess it's a bit of a risk/reward scenario.

Reactions: 1 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Got a source at Hawthorn and some inhouse mail coming through.

They are over the moon with Cam MacKenzie, seeing things in match sim that have them convinced he is an A grader. Seeing Pendlebury type things.

And Josh Weddle is performing in every role they play him in. And is physical, ready to go. They think both are destined to play a lot of football this year.
A club insider talking up their young players? I never thought I would see the day.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
That’s why I don’t have them finishing last this year like so many. They’re building a decent list Hawthorn. Could sort of see the roots of it last year and now they’ve added to it. Young ? Yes. But good young.

Only Mitchell can stuff it up.
I have them dropping this yr as they have made some cuts to the list & depth wasn't great beforehand.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Rossy has just given Phillipou the royal boost, best 18 y/o he's ever seen apparently, I reckon Scoop & I have called this one correctly, Wells, Dodoro etc. playing catch-up to PRE.

Reactions: 1 user

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earns Richmond VFL contract

By Zac Standish
Shepparton News
Mar 2, 2023

Welcome to Tigerland: Young Shepparton Swans star Max Clohesy will suit up for Richmond VFL in 2023. Photo by Megan Fisher

Another of the Goulburn Valley League’s top young football talents will be making the move to the VFL — with Shepparton Swans young gun Max Clohesy earning a contract with Richmond for season 2023.

The 19-year-old, who’s renowned for his silky skills and bursting pace off half-back, makes the move to Punt Road after a dazzling junior career with the Swans and Murray Bushrangers.

Touted as a potential draft prospect heading into last season, a string of injuries curtailed Clohesy during his crucial final year of juniors however, which ultimately resulted in him missing out on being selected at the 2022 AFL draft.

But those setbacks have not stopped him from chasing his dream, as he now enters a VFL program at Richmond that has had a lot of its players move onto AFL lists.

Clohesy said Tigerland would be the best place to continue his football journey.

“I am absolutely over the moon to be heading to Richmond,” Clohesy said.

“Considering last year was a bit disappointing for me I am super determined to have a bounce back year, and to be able to utilise Richmond’s facilities down at Punt Road it is an unreal opportunity.

“I chose Richmond because they were the AFL club most interested in me and the fact they have had five people recruited from their program in the last five years it is a very good record.”

Clohesy — who averaged 19.2 disposals, 3.2 rebound 50s and 3.2 marks in five senior GVL games last season — will not be lost to the region after he nominated Shepparton Swans as his home club for the upcoming campaign.

He will also be surrounded by a host of fellow district exports, with Tatura’s Billy Cooper, Shepparton United’s Angus Hicks and Nathalia’s Nathan Oakes on the VFL list and Mooroopna’s Tom Brown plying his trade as part of the AFL set-up.

Having been training with the Tigers since November, Clohesy said the step up in intensity had been a big one.

“It is a lot harder than GV training that’s for sure, it is certainly a lot more serious than I was used to,” he said.

“That took a bit of a toll on me at the start, as I was travelling down from Shepparton twice a week for training, but now I’m starting to really settle in and hit my groove.

“Having those other guys from up here down there with me has also been really helpful and made the summer training all the more enjoyable.”

Set to be Clohesy’s first foray into VFL footy, he recently got a glimpse of the higher standard during Richmond’s practice match against North Melbourne.

Having the opportunity to line-up against AFL-listed players every week was something he said excited him about this opportunity.

“I played in the AFL practice match the other day for a couple of quarters and that was surreal,” he said.

“Aaron Hall came and matched up on me and I certainly got taught how to play footy, but I’m excited to come up against guys like that because playing against better players makes you better.”

As for his goals for the season, he said it was all about getting into the side and improving as much as he could.

“I’ll be trying to play round one, whether that happens I’m not sure, but that is the objective,” he said.

“Ultimately I want to play AFL footy, so this is the best place for me to be to try and do that and also learn as a footballer.

“For this year I just want to play good, consistent footy and then go from there.”

https://www.sheppnews.com.au/sport/...-gun-max-clohesy-earns-richmond-vfl-contract/

Reactions: 3 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I think he probably emulates Van Rooyen with a 40 goal season in the VFL.
Don’t know if you have seen the “show me the money” episode on Stan relating to the trade period last year?
Not sure if it means anything much but one section dealt with Josh Schache and Melbourne trying to trade for him, which they did. The discussions were about how exposed they were with just Brown and McDonald as key forwards even though the plan is to play Gawn forward a lot more.
Not once was Van Rooyen mentioned.
As I said it may not mean anything but it said to me they may not think he is ready as they were very keen to get Schache to replace Wiedeman.
Key forwards take time and he is just a 2nd year player so maybe that’s why.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Don’t know if you have seen the “show me the money” episode on Stan relating to the trade period last year?
Not sure if it means anything much but one section dealt with Josh Schache and Melbourne trying to trade for him, which they did. The discussions were about how exposed they were with just Brown and McDonald as key forwards even though the plan is to play Gawn forward a lot more.
Not once was Van Rooyen mentioned.
As I said it may not mean anything but it said to me they may not think he is ready as they were very keen to get Schache to replace Wiedeman.
Key forwards take time and he is just a 2nd year player so maybe that’s why.
My biggest gripe with Van Rooyen has always been his heavy legs, nothing screams sharp shooter key forward, I think he'll be more of a utility type, not necessarily a guy who demands the ball in a pack situation. Schache isn't that player either but he's a taller version and can provide the chop out when the rucks are preoccupied. Plenty of sense with the approach, we're not talking superstars here, just core players who can fulfil a role.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
In an article today on recognizable names eligible in this years draft it had the below photo of Charlie Naish testing in March 2022. Going by attached 2022 stats i am not sure we have too much to be excited about?

Any junior footy watchers know?

1679356201640.png

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
In an article today on recognizable names eligible in this years draft it had the below photo of Charlie Naish testing in March 2022. Going by attached 2022 stats i am not sure we have too much to be excited about?

Any junior footy watchers know?

View attachment 18520

I dont know charlie,

But i know rookie me central data and opinion is meaningless.

Harley Reid wont even have to play a game, and theylle give him rookie me central player of the year

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Hopper/Taranto v Bowes/Bruhn 2022 Draft

Early days yes but it’s always going to be a discussion/comparison so let's get it on!! :D

Will be less on Taranto/ Hopper here as there’s enough threads and comments in our chat group about them.

So let's see how the others guys are going aye :eyes

Bruhn v Carltoon – 10 disposals, 74 metres gained!! o_O 74 metres gained is Ivan Soldo type stats. Actually he’s bettered that 48 times in his 49 games!! :LOL:

Now to the game - Bowes take a mark, pretty much a gimmy for nearly all talented footballers, 6 minutes 39 seconds left on the clock, a chance to turn a 15 point deficit into just 9 and give the Cats a chance son, be a hero son!

1679910070129.png

He shanks it so far right, it's probably joined the Ben Brown meme where he runs around the world!!

1679910263264.png

A bad miss from where he was, not just me but 'USELESS AFL STATS' have rated it at present for Miss of The Year –
from the position he was in, they rated it a 92% of striking goal-d…but he didn’t!! :nono

1679910330173.png

Now it's four minutes later still with plenty of time on the clock and his mate Bruhn
has a chance to possibly make a goal assist and turn it into a 2 point game, still very winnable.

Bruhn makes a really good dive at this ball versus two Bloos and wins a great ball one V two.

1679910530765.png

Spins out beautifully and in the clear to cap off a great play right? :censored:

1679910576995.png

Great stuff now hit the target young fella!!

1679910606873.png

There’s an open Stengle making a run and should be able to lace him 10 metres in the clear? :unsure:

1679910668532.png

Ohhh man, sprays it miles wide and on the full!! :rolleyes:
Possibility with a Bowes conversion, Bruhn hitting Stengle and him goaling, 11 points extra in an 8 point loss, makes it a :unsure:

1679910797698.png

Early days yes, but I still definitely prefer what we got out of this draft :eyes

azzatiger

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2021
Charlie Naish 15 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles and 1.3 for Northern Knights in their round 1 win on the weekend

Reactions: 6 users

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
We could be developing some talls down back, up forward and in the ruck? :unsure:

Possible Talls in the AFL Team in 2025 and their age in 2025 -
Backs - Young (26) - Balta (25) - Mutaz (23) - Gibcus (22)
Rucks - Miller (25) - Biggy (24) - Ryan (24), Colina (yet to decide if he's still be with us? - 26)
Forwards - Miller (25) - Ryan (24), Bradtke (24), Bauer (23)

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
Charlie Naish 15 disposals, 7 marks, 3 tackles and 1.3 for Northern Knights in their round 1 win on the weekend
Interesting name and stats :unsure:
Ryan Maric - 190cm - 06/09/2004
Gippsland Power v Murray Bushrangers
18 kicks, 5 handballs, 9 marks, 1 tackle, 6 inside 50's, 4.1, four goals man

1680090159705.png