2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

As far as KP's and rucks go, I'm very keen on Connor O'Sullivan so far. Real footballer, smart, mobile and can go forward. 198cm. On the watch list. He really stood out to me in the academy game, times his leap so well to spoil. And apparently has spent time in the midfield at NAB level.

And Will Green, look like a giraffe but is surprisingly mobile and smart. Tap work was good. On the list as well.
Yeah l like O'Sullivan ,would make a good swing man ,l have never seen him play midfield ,but he was good at CHB in the Bushrangers game l seen.
The more l look at the list of player's this year,there does appear to be quite a bit of depth going through to a few rounds .

Next year looks good to,but l guess a lot depends on the interstate depth.

Reactions: 1 user
The more l look at the list of player's this year,there does appear to be quite a bit of depth going through to a few rounds .
Same, that's why I think if we can end up with 4-5 picks between 20-60 we can get plug some gaps.

Same, that's why I think if we can end up with 4-5 picks between 20-60 we can get plug some gaps.
It is great to see some posters looking forward rather than re hashing the previous drafts that have been done countless times and can’t be changed no matter what we think. Nice work!

Reactions: 9 users
It is great to see some posters looking forward rather than re hashing the previous drafts that have been done countless times and can’t be changed no matter what we think. Nice work!
What, you don’t like the continuous playing of broken records?

Reactions: 3 users
What, you don’t like the continuous playing of broken records?
Ha, no I don’t, I know some of these blokes need their egos padded over and over again but unfortunately it drives the rest of us insane !

Reactions: 1 users
I just don’t think you can judge one set of moves without seeing the next, you can call them out at the time as being wrong but you can’t call call them terminal. We need to be brave this off season, few favourites need to go.

I just don’t think you can judge one set of moves without seeing the next, you can call them out at the time as being wrong but you can’t call call them terminal. We need to be brave this off season, few favourites need to go.
I can see a few moves on the list of some more experienced players. What they bring in return, I’m not certain though. Hate to say it coz I like him, but Fridge probably stands out the most. Injuries, in and out of the side, dunno if he’d bring much however.

I can see a few moves on the list of some more experienced players. What they bring in return, I’m not certain though. Hate to say it coz I like him, but Fridge probably stands out the most. Injuries, in and out of the side, dunno if he’d bring much however.
Fridge, Short, Vlastuin,test the waters. Letting Broad walk in free agency is a must for me.

Dunno if I could wear Vlastuin leaving. Short probably the most expendable (we have a bunch of hbf’s) relative to return.
Shorty is my boy and I reckon he fetches a first. Vlastuin a second, I think his best is gone, it’d hurt but I’d do it. Not both this year, only one if you let Broad walk.

Shorty is my boy and I reckon he fetches a first. Vlastuin a second, I think his best is gone, it’d hurt but I’d do it. Not both this year, only one if you let Broad walk.
I think Vlas is just having a bad stretch this year. Plenty left in him. Short and Broad I can live with despite loving Broady. In Broad’s case we have Young and one or two other potential replacements.

Dunno if Short gets a first rounder. If he does, it’s a very late one.

Even Cornes is saying Georgiades future at Port looks very shaky. Dropped after round 2 and been out since. Only 21. 32 goals in his second year. Can be re built at a better club with better coaches.

Even Cornes is saying Georgiades future at Port looks very shaky. Dropped after round 2 and been out since. Only 21. 32 goals in his second year. Can be re built at a better club with better coaches.

At this stage do we have those coaches?

I reckon we have taken a decent sized step back in this area from Leppa and Fly.

Anyone know if Andy Collins is still coaching, and how he is going?

I think Vlas is just having a bad stretch this year. Plenty left in him. Short and Broad I can live with despite loving Broady. In Broad’s case we have Young and one or two other potential replacements.

Dunno if Short gets a first rounder. If he does, it’s a very late one.

Personally, if Broad wants to stay I'd keep him without a second thought, and test the market on Vlastuin. Reckon we are seeing that Broady is more important to us structurally than Vlastuin and hopefully next year Brown will be fit and ready to replace Vlastuin in a similar role. We'd get much more in a trade too. I'd think we'd get something between 20 and 25 for Vlastuin from a contender. Bearing in mind we brought Brown in for this role, I'd be comfortable with pick 25 personally. Depending on how settled Vlastuin is in VIC, I could see him potentially following Ellis to Gold Coast, great surf beaches up there might be enough to tempt him.

Reckon we are seeing the value of Short to the team also. I'd consider Graham as much as I love what he does for us, especially if his head is set on going back to SA as others have suggested, A pick around 30 would be around the right mark.

Adding 2 seconds without losing too much on field would be a good list management move for us.

At this stage do we have those coaches?

I reckon we have taken a decent sized step back in this area from Leppa and Fly.

Anyone know if Andy Collins is still coaching, and how he is going?
Pretty confident Hardwick, Rutten and Teague is a better trio than Hinkley, Chad Cornes and Carr.

Andy Collins is one of the best coaches I’ve ever heard speak. His results parallel with that. He’s Head Of Development at Hawthorn I believe.

Personally, if Broad wants to stay I'd keep him without a second thought, and test the market on Vlastuin. Reckon we are seeing that Broady is more important to us structurally than Vlastuin and hopefully next year Brown will be fit and ready to replace Vlastuin in a similar role. We'd get much more in a trade too. I'd think we'd get something between 20 and 25 for Vlastuin from a contender. Bearing in mind we brought Brown in for this role, I'd be comfortable with pick 25 personally. Depending on how settled Vlastuin is in VIC, I could see him potentially following Ellis to Gold Coast, great surf beaches up there might be enough to tempt him.

Reckon we are seeing the value of Short to the team also. I'd consider Graham as much as I love what he does for us, especially if his head is set on going back to SA as others have suggested, A pick around 30 would be around the right mark.

Adding 2 seconds without losing too much on field would be a good list management move for us.
Brown is so far off playing Vlastuin’s role, and playing like him, it’s not funny. Brown doesn’t have 10% of Vlastuin’s courage, hardness nor versatility. Brown is totally unproven.

We have nobody to replace the likes of a 29 y.o. Vlastuin at this present time.

Brown is so far off playing Vlastuin’s role, and playing like him, it’s not funny. Brown doesn’t have 10% of Vlastuin’s courage, hardness nor versatility. Brown is totally unproven.

We have nobody to replace the likes of a 29 y.o. Vlastuin at this present time.

Yet clearly we can't replace Broady but people are assuming we can just replace him. His absence has been very clear in the last 3 games.

Personally with the footy Vlastuin is playing at the minute, we can replace him far easier than Broad.

Yet clearly we can't replace Broady but people are assuming we can just replace him. His absence has been very clear in the last 3 games.

Personally with the footy Vlastuin is playing at the minute, we can replace him far easier than Broad.
Yeah I reckon we can. Him and Short are far easier to replace than Vlastuin for mine.

Once Gibcus comes back in it’ll flesh out, or push out, the likes of Young to play Broad’s role. Like Broad, Young is a running machine with big aerobic capacity.

Short…we have a bunch of outside “receivers to kick” to replace him. Banks is priming for that sort of role. Ross could do it as well. Both are better kicks than Short too.

Vlastuin is just going through a bad stretch in a backline that’s a bit disjointed this year. He’s a cornerstone player with unparalleled courage. Loved by his team mates. Nobody plays like him. Still only 29. He’s one good game away from everyone saying how great he is and has been. We have nobody that’s prepared to fill the hole like he does week in and week out.

Me personally, I’m not dumping someone like Nick just coz he’s had a bad 5 week stretch for a pick 25 or whatever when there’s others that are easier to replace.

I’d be shocked if Richmond tried to move someone like Nick on. In fact I’d see that as a bit of cultural deterioration if we did that.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I reckon we can. Him and Short are far easier to replace than Vlastuin for mine.

Once Gibcus comes back in it’ll flesh out, or push out, the likes of Young to play Broad’s role. Like Broad, Young is a running machine with big aerobic capacity.

Short…we have a bunch of outside “receivers to kick” to replace him. Banks is priming for that sort of role. Ross could do it as well. Both are better kicks than Short too.

Vlastuin is just going through a bad stretch in a backline that’s a bit disjointed this year. He’s a cornerstone player with unparalleled courage. Loved by his team mates. Nobody plays like him. Still only 29. He’s one good game away from everyone saying how great he is and has been. We have nobody that’s prepared to fill the hole like he does week in and week out.

Me personally, I’m not dumping someone like Nick just coz he’s had a bad 5 week stretch for a pick 25 or whatever when there’s others that are easier to replace.

I’d be shocked if Richmond tried to move someone like Nick on. In fact I’d see that as a bit of cultural deterioration if we did that.

IMO you seriously underestimate how good Broad and Short are.