2023 Draft Thread. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2023 Draft Thread.

Yeah I reckon we can. Him and Short are far easier to replace than Vlastuin for mine.

Once Gibcus comes back in it’ll flesh out, or push out, the likes of Young to play Broad’s role. Like Broad, Young is a running machine with big aerobic capacity.

Short…we have a bunch of outside “receivers to kick” to replace him. Banks is priming for that sort of role. Ross could do it as well. Both are better kicks than Short too.

Vlastuin is just going through a bad stretch in a backline that’s a bit disjointed this year. He’s a cornerstone player with unparalleled courage. Loved by his team mates. Nobody plays like him. Still only 29. He’s one good game away from everyone saying how great he is and has been. We have nobody that’s prepared to fill the hole like he does week in and week out.

Me personally, I’m not dumping someone like Nick just coz he’s had a bad 5 week stretch for a pick 25 or whatever when there’s others that are easier to replace.

I’d be shocked if Richmond tried to move someone like Nick on. In fact I’d see that as a bit of cultural deterioration if we did that.

Hang on.

So I can't use Brown as a possible replacement for Vlastuin (or Broad as Broad could play Vlastuins role) because he's unproven, but you can use Banks as a reason why we can make do without Short?????

What?????

Broad and Vlastuin are both similar players, you look at the level of intercept marks that both take, and they are similar, but Broady (from both vision and stats) is far far better 1 on 1 than Vlastuin is. Reckon we are more likely to be able to rearrange the defence to replace Nick rather than Broady, and we would certainly get a higher draft pick for Vlastuin.

It really comes down to where we end up finishing this year. If its starting to look like neither will be in our next premiership then we take the move that gets us the better draft pick.

Hang on.

So I can't use Brown as a possible replacement for Vlastuin (or Broad as Broad could play Vlastuins role) because he's unproven, but you can use Banks as a reason why we can make do without Short?????

What?????

Broad and Vlastuin are both similar players, you look at the level of intercept marks that both take, and they are similar, but Broady (from both vision and stats) is far far better 1 on 1 than Vlastuin is. Reckon we are more likely to be able to rearrange the defence to replace Nick rather than Broady, and we would certainly get a higher draft pick for Vlastuin.

It really comes down to where we end up finishing this year. If it’s starting to look like neither will be in our next premiership then we take the move that gets us the better draft pick.
Huh ????

Banks has a body of work at VFL level that is far in excess of Brown who we have barely seen. Banks plays a role like Short. Brown DOES NOT PLAY A ROLE LIKE VLASTUIN. And again, Ross can easily fit into that receive to kick role that Short plays as well.

Yes, we would get a higher return on trading a Vlastuin and that’s because….wait for it..he’s a better player.

But if you think Jayden Short and Nathan Broad are better footballers than Nick Vlastuin and Vlastuin is easier to replace than them, then good luck to you.

Not that I’m one of them, but for 2 years I’ve been reading on here from a bunch of people about how we need to get rid of Short. He’s expendable etc etc. Cant recall seeing Vlastuin framed quite that way.

Reactions: 1 users
Huh ????

Banks has a body of work at VFL level that is far in excess of Brown who we have barely seen. Banks plays a role like Short. Brown DOES NOT PLAY A ROLE LIKE VLASTUIN. And again, Ross can easily fit into that receive to kick role that Short plays as well.

Yes, we would get a higher return on trading a Vlastuin and that’s because….wait for it..he’s a better player.

But if you think Jayden Short and Nathan Broad are better footballers than Nick Vlastuin and Vlastuin is easier to replace than them, then good luck to you.

I didn't say that Vlastuin wasn't a better player, but I think structurally, Broad is much harder to replace and we are seeing that now. Our defence has looked awful since he's been out, despite Vlastuin being in that group.

I didn't say that Vlastuin wasn't a better player, but I think structurally, Broad is much harder to replace and we are seeing that now. Our defence has looked awful since he's been out, despite Vlastuin being in that group.
I agree that Broad is a structural loss for us right now. But as I said, we have Gibcus back in that side (or perhaps even Tarrant) and it pushes Tylar Young into the Broad spectrum and it’s not such an issue then if Broad’s out.

Last edited:
I agree that Broad is a structural loss for us right now. But as I said, we have Gibcus back in that side (or perhaps even Tarrant) and it pushes Tylar Young into the Broad spectrum and it’s not such an issue then if Broad’s out.

Young has shown he is a good 1 on 1 defender, but yet to show any of the intercepting work and link work that Broad does. He may get there but I wouldn't be throwing him out for basically nothing to make a point. Thats why I'm suggesting Vlastuin is more appropriate as he will get a better draft pick, being younger than Broad and more rated outside of our club.

Young has shown he is a good 1 on 1 defender, but yet to show any of the intercepting work and link work that Broad does. He may get there but I wouldn't be throwing him out for basically nothing to make a point. Thats why I'm suggesting Vlastuin is more appropriate as he will get a better draft pick, being younger than Broad and more rated outside of our club.
Yeah but beyond the fact Vlastuin is a better player - which you’ve acknowledged - we don’t have anyone to replace him and his role with. We do with both Short and Broad.

Further, outside of the last 5 weeks, Vlastuin’s impact or output is significantly greater than Broad’s. I don’t know where you get the intercept comparison ?? Vlastuin streets Broad in that regard. And does also in inside 50’s and linking and also tackling and so on. And more than anything else there is nobody…nobody… who puts themselves in the hole across half back like he does, time and time again. Those players are as rare as hens teeth.

Broad only produces nothing if we don’t bring in a FA ourselves. Or we have a net gain of FA’s. Otherwise, if we don’t, then given a club is probably going to have to put up something much better than we can (a la Ellis), then Broad would produce something commensurate ….not withstanding the way the AFL likes to shaft us in such things , like they did with Ellis. Again, IF we didn’t bring in a FA of our own.

Net sum outcome in all of this, is that in all reality, if we wanna re stock with picks, it should be Short (and possibly Graham) that we look to trade ahead of others ie getting a return value, more easily replaced etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Even Cornes is saying Georgiades future at Port looks very shaky. Dropped after round 2 and been out since. Only 21. 32 goals in his second year. Can be re built at a better club with better coaches.
Get him.

Broad is a free agent @Scoop and unlikely to attract a big offer so if we brought another in like Himmelberg for eg. we'd get nothing for Broady.

Get him.

Broad is a free agent @Scoop and unlikely to attract a big offer so if we brought another in like Himmelberg for eg. we'd get nothing for Broady.
I see Hindenburg attracting a premium that may not match the return. GWS will stump up and others will test it eg Cwood.

Whilst he has versatility being able to play KPD/KPF, I see him becoming an overs equation like McStay did.

Georgio just reeks of being great risk/reward. Expecting the WA clubs will be enquiring.

I see Hindenburg attracting a premium that may not match the return. GWS will stump up and others will test it eg Cwood.

Whilst he has versatility being able to play KPD/KPF, I see him becoming an overs equation like McStay did.

Georgio just reeks of being great risk/reward.
I'm a huge Georgiades fan, have been since day 1. Let's get him.

Could work. If we could get him for Graham and this year's second we'd be laughing.
I’m in for that. I love the Fridge but I think Georgio a) is big time un developed talent and b) fills a BIG need up front.

I just get the feeling Georgio needs to be made more focal and given a bit more confidence by another team eg us. Think the G would really suit him as well. He’s been pushed aside by the Cue Ball, Marshall and Dixon. They keep playing him as a tall hff bit player when I’d have him at CHF or the square.

Get him.

I don’t reckon we can bring Harry Him in. Too big a contract. I‘m a fan but it seems unlikely. A second after our second would be nice for Broad.

I’m in for that. I love the Fridge but I think Georgio a) is big time un developed talent and b) fills a BIG need up front.

I just get the feeling Georgio needs to be made more focal and given a bit more confidence by another team eg us. Think the G would really suit him as well. He’s been pushed aside by the Cue Ball, Marshall and Dixon. They keep playing him as a tall hff bit player when I’d have him at CHF or the square.
100%. Fancy playing that sheila Dixon ahead of a potential star like Georgio.

100%. Fancy playing that sheila Dixon ahead of a potential star like Georgio.
Do you remember some of the heavy marks he took in his first and second years ? Outstanding.

Needs some work on his set shots, but otherwise, I’m in on what just screams big time risk-reward favourability.

Hindenburg is sort of ok, but I’m not liking the price I’m expecting that he’ll come with.

Do you remember some of the heavy marks he took in his first and second years ? Outstanding.

Needs some work on his set shots, but otherwise, I’m in on what just screams big time risk-reward favourability.

Hindenburg is sort of ok, but I’m not liking the price I’m expecting that he’ll come with.
Bloody oath I remember. Careyesque.

His kicking was great, just a confidence thing I reckon.

Agree with all the talk. Georgio will need a trade though.

Humberbun is "just" $$$. But looks like those $$$ will be excessive given Free agent and the interest.

Reckon we will be tight for a year or two after Taranto and Hopper as well.