2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yes. Unfortunate it means GC will be able to repeat their stars-for-10c-deposit-bottles routine again this year, and their academy will probably never net a result like this again, but thats the way it is.
I have no problem with the GC academy. They are genuinely putting in enormous resources into it and it’s generating results. Maybe the discounts should be removed but they should get some recognition for the development they put in.

Reactions: 1 user

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
I have no problem with the GC academy. They are genuinely putting in enormous resources into it and it’s generating results. Maybe the discounts should be removed but they should get some recognition for the development they put in.
I disagree. They are putting resources in sure, (whose resources? Our bloody resources!) and understandably doubling down after the 23 bonanza, but it runs itself. Look at the GC Suns academy results for the last 2 years when they have had indisputably great lists, grossly underperformed. They were overperforming when Andrew Raines ran it on a shoestring, but then they sacked him a few years ago.

Its mostly dumb luck. Walters, Reid and Graham from one team at one club! Palm Beach Currumbin, to my knowledge nothing even close to that has ever happened, that is astonishing.

Edit, My issue isn't with their Academy per se, my issue is with the bidding and points system which means they get their academy players for free. And the more they have, the cheaper they get. Discount sure, but not free, and there should be a limit of some kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Inconceivable!
The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
Surely thats introduced in 2025.
Notwithstanding our vested interest its the only fair way to do it.
But it would be typicaL of the AFL to shift the rules and goalposts without regard
My understanding is that they have to pay a higher price for academy and father sons…. so that should make our picks… and the associated points more valuable… which is why it won’t happen this year 😄

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, the discussion around the value of Big Shorts Baker took another turn last night with Chimpa’s comments.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Overs.

Players averaging 20+ disposals & 1+ goal this season (minimum 2 games played):
Isaac Heeney
Marcus Bontempelli
Connor Rozee
Errol Gulden
Sam Clohesy
Josh Kelly
Jason Horne-Francis
Liam Baker
Chad Warner
Jacob Hopper

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Come the end of trade period I can see us having 3 first round draft picks in our pockets.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
That sounds great but is it a "Good" draft or a "bad" one
That'd depend on who your club picks.
Was suggested last year that this year was supposedly a good draft year, but until this seasons done and the young blokes have had a chance to grow n develop nothing's certain.
Might be that this years good for talls. Might be that one or two kids really stand out n the rest are bog average. Might be that there's a whole heap of very evenly rated kids with virtually no stand outs. Pick the best ya think ya can get or need n hope they all grow into premium quality in a couple of years.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Not a lot to get excited about yet, especially in the talls department. But this bloke is interesting:

199cm, mobile, dual-sided, clean hands. You'd hope more of a KPP than ruck at the next level.

Btw, the 'Footy Stuff' channel that puts these clips together is doing a good job.

Reactions: 2 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Okay, having seemingly talked this draft down (and I don't think it has anyone of the level of Reid or JHF), we can still do well, especially with the hand we're likely to end up with. One of Finn O'Sullivan or Sam Lalor, and one of Zak Johnson/Taj Hotton would go a long way to securing our future midfield.

Look forward to seeing who else breaks out during the year.

• Wow

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

they actually rationalised it and downsized it end of 2022.

coincided with Jason Torney and Andrew Raines leaving and a couple of pretty underwhelming, cheaper, replacements.

but, yes, they provide a very thorough footballing education for 13-17 you

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Not a lot to get excited about yet, especially in the talls department. But this bloke is interesting:

199cm, mobile, dual-sided, clean hands. You'd hope more of a KPP than ruck at the next level.
Tall, mobile, dual sided definitely makes him interesting. But for a " highlights " package there's a stack of scrappy disposal by both hand and foot, kid would need some polishing.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
That'd depend on who your club picks.
Was suggested last year that this year was supposedly a good draft year, but until this seasons done and the young blokes have had a chance to grow n develop nothing's certain.
Might be that this years good for talls. Might be that one or two kids really stand out n the rest are bog average. Might be that there's a whole heap of very evenly rated kids with virtually no stand outs. Pick the best ya think ya can get or need n hope they all grow into premium quality in a couple of years.
IMO Its better than last year on a whole. However when you break it down the bulk of the top end talent are mids half of which will end up undersized flankers in AFL.
Can't say this is absolutely correct but basketball has most likely taken the bulk of the tall kids because there is a massive dearth across the Coates League. Heaps of kids in the 190 - 194 range but hardly any Tom Lynch types.

• Sad

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Okay, having seemingly talked this draft down (and I don't think it has anyone of the level of Reid or JHF), we can still do well, especially with the hand we're likely to end up with. One of Finn O'Sullivan or Sam Lalor, and one of Zak Johnson/Taj Hotton would go a long way to securing our future midfield.

Look forward to seeing who else breaks out during the year.
At this stage, take out Reid and Walter and 23 and 24 look similar. But as always, the Champs will tell the tale.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
It's one game.
Highlights of ONE game then. He was still very scrappy with his disposal. The other aspects height, mobility, competitiveness, dual sided especially for a lefty were fine. Turnovers are absolute game killers at AFL these days n the Tigers are currently masters of it. Long way to go before draft time n then growing up to AFL level, kid needs some polishing is all I said.