500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

500K extra for that hack? / Ben Holland sues Richmond [Merged]

Re: 500K extra for that hack?

gustiger12 said:
Must have been some deal between Casey and Holland. ;) I'm sure the club knows nothing about this ::)

I have been wondering about that , is it possible that casey was the only one involved in this?
Ie the board and ceo knew nothning about this and were acting in good faith?

Bill James said:
My recollection was that Nathan Brown stated openly in his early interviews that one of the attractions was the ability to work with Casey on property deals. Does anyone else recall this.

From memory the comment was more generic about opportunities outside football.

Of course Balmy hit the nail on the head, you can't get a better example of Richmond ineptitude in not offloading Holland at that point. $800k for 3 years was way excessive. From memory Kane Johnson was part of the mooted deal. To not allow a deal to happen at that point is quite staggering.

The Casey era lingers on. I wonder if Miller was present.

Hopefully they'll look into Patrick Smith's property portfolio as well.

elliot said:
I have been wondering about that , is it possible that casey was the only one involved in this?
Ie the board and ceo knew nothning about this and were acting in good faith?

The article on Realfooty states he had a meeting with Casey and others so thats a bad sign!

This news made me feel sick, this really could end badly for us!!

Richmond really seems to live by one of Murphy's Laws. 'Any that can go wrong, will go wrong'

This is very very bad. It doesn't matter if the money, property was paid or not.
If the then President of the RFC promised to make above the salary cap payments or to give undeclared property advantages to Holland or anyone else as an incentive to get a player to re sign then that agreement would breach the salary cap rules.

Offers of future emploment opportunities may not be so clear but top up payments to be made outside the cap, to match an offer from Adelaide.....

This is very bad.

Firstly why would anyone offer $1.3mill over 3 years for Holland. Secondly if the Tigers owed Holland money why has he waited so long to now lay his claim? Thirdly there is no way this would have been put in writing because it's basically illegal so if verbal it will not be proven. Fourthly he should be happy he got his $800K over 3 years as he sure as hell wasn't worth it.

GoodOne said:
Firstly why would anyone offer $1.3mill over 3 years for Holland.

They'll certify him insane for claiming that and all charges will be thrown out the door.

I actually saw Ben at the supermarket a few weeks back.........if i had of know about this, i probably would've thrown a can of baked beans at him :bash :boxing

How long do supreme court actions usually take to come to court and be resolved , even if it varies anyone caqre to take a educated guess?
Whatever happends i want it to happen quickly so we can move on but i worry about this hanging over us for a long time

GoodOne said:
Firstly why would anyone offer $1.3mill over 3 years for Holland. Though hard to fathom I would suspect they have a written offer Adelaide, or Adelaide would at least be able to confirm or deny. Secondly if the Tigers owed Holland money why has he waited so long to now lay his claim? He was quite probably waiting for the said property deals etc to eventute. Thirdly there is no way this would have been put in writing because it's basically illegal so if verbal it will not be proven. Need the PRE legal experts to adivse on the validity of verbal contracts. Fourthly he should be happy he got his $800K over 3 years as he sure as hell wasn't worth it. Agree.

Perhaps our best defence is that the over salary cap payments were never made. That they were offered only would warrant a lesser charge. (Hopefully).

Imagine if we qualified for priority pick #1 and lost it.

I think though this looks bad I think we may come through relatively unscathed. Though it will give a reason for the AFL to probe many shonky player payment deals.

Geez, we are sure coming across as a 'poor' mans Carlton!

Firstly we had to win a wooden spoon last year following Carltons recent efforts these past years.
A high profile carlton player had a public twinkle, so one of our players had to do the same.
Now, the allegations made by Ben (against club and former president) sounds like very similiar actions of a former carlton presidents.

that said. if we did offer what Ben claims, we should honour that commitment.
If we did breach the rules, we should pay the price.

That said, if the AFL investigates, not only should the club be subject to scrutiny, but also the player.
If the player was a willing subject and had knowingly knew their deal was breaching afl rules, they too should face a penalty.

I also hope certain government agencies take interest in the parties involved as well, especially the one that handles one certainity of life.

If this has some fact, the problem is Casey's position at the time. If I was to give $100kto a player b/c I wanted to ... big deal. Casey does it .. possible salary cap. That said, how close were we to the cap back then?

As soon as i heard there was big Richmond news i dropped my head. What next!!!!
I just hope they don't dig deeper than Holland.

Besides - 1.3 mil for Ben Holland????????? The whole story isn't believable now! How could anyone offer that much too him. We shouldve traded him then