A comforting thought | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A comforting thought

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Folks are doing it tough today, I feel for all of you.

Half time at the Dogs / Saints game.

Neither side is preliminary final material. That’s just a fact.

Get over either one of those duds and we’re in a PF. Back on track. One game away from the GF.

We beat Port in Port last year with a bunch of kids. If I was Hardwick I’d play a montage of that famous win with Eye of the Tiger over the top.

Importantly, we are a better side than Port. Bring our A game, with Cotchin and Prestia reaching peak fitness for the year, and we win.

20 min quarters says you don’t need to worry so much about four games in a row.

I repeat - win this week against beatable opposition and we’re in a PF.

Let’s tear down our entitlement for a moment and celebrate the fact we’re in a semi-final as firm favourite to recover ourselves.

Dimma will be bringing us to ground zero, you can bet on that. Humble, hungry players, that’s what Brisbane gifted us last night.

What a gift it might yet be.

Reactions: 27 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not sure next week will be as easy as you state, but I think we should win.

Port will be very confident after their win earlier this season but that game where they dominated the midfield was without Cotchin, Edwards, Prestia and Houli. Our team will look a lot stronger if we make the prelim.

Reactions: 1 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Folks are doing it tough today, I feel for all of you.

Half time at the Dogs / Saints game.

Neither side is preliminary final material. That’s just a fact.

Get over either one of those duds and we’re in a PF. Back on track. One game away from the GF.

We beat Port in Port last year with a bunch of kids. If I was Hardwick I’d play a montage of that famous win with Eye of the Tiger over the top.

Importantly, we are a better side than Port. Bring our A game, with Cotchin and Prestia reaching peak fitness for the year, and we win.

20 min quarters says you don’t need to worry so much about four games in a row.

I repeat - win this week against beatable opposition and we’re in a PF.

Let’s tear down our entitlement for a moment and celebrate the fact we’re in a semi-final as firm favourite to recover ourselves.

Dimma will be bringing us to ground zero, you can bet on that. Humble, hungry players, that’s what Brisbane gifted us last night.

What a gift it might yet be.

From the beginning we treated the qualifying final as a free hit.

And it made sense. If we win, great, all good. If we lose, we get an extra game against a bottom of the 8 side to get kilometres into Prestia, Edwards, Nank.

We selected that way too. Lynch out means we might cost ourselves a week off, but it lowers the chance of losing one our most important players to injury for the most important finals.

Prestia in was a risk, but the downside of it not paying off was more game time for Prestia.

And I'm not saying we weren't desperate to win. Just that we were aware it doesn't change that much if we didn't.

If we won, we would have had to beat three top four sides to win a premiership. Now we have to beat an also ran and two top four sides to win a premiership.

Are we in a worse position now?

An extra game for Prestia and Edwards, an extra week off for Lynch, and we still have to win three games.

We also get a chance to play a lower quality opponent to get some systems/balance right. And if we lose to them? Well then we don't deserve a cup. Let's just not think about that.

The pressure of losing a streak is gone. We've taken a punch and know what it feels like. If we're really lucky, we might even get underdog status in a prelim.

IF we use next week to really get into gear, then nothing stops us. Nothing.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
saints defence has been mighty tonjght..we wouldnt wanna do that sloppy bombing crap.....

Reactions: 7 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If we lose next week. I don’t like our chances on making the grand final

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Maybe it was the loss we had to have?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Port has two weeks to wait for us while we get down to work.

Brisbane has two weeks to wait for the winner of Geelong and West Coast, both extremely capable, seasoned sides.

Footy has been an explosive, impactful affair in 2020. Time and again we’ve seen sides fail after long breaks.

The QF winners of 2020 won’t be sleeping peaceably.

Reactions: 4 users

tiger76

Tiger Superstar
Mar 26, 2014
And I was some what buoyed by Hardwick’s press conference. He was steely and confident when stating that the areas requiring improvement are under the teams control.

I still believe the teams best is too good for any of the current finals teams, regardless of venue. Lynch was a massive out.

Reactions: 2 users

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Yeah obviously I am disappointed about last night, but I am not as doom and gloom about it as some are on here.

Back our system in. No need for wholesale changes (both positionally and personnel). Make the obvious changes, but back in that our best is THE best.

It wont be easy, but we have a champion team. I am backing them in to respond accordingly.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
saints defence has been mighty tonjght..we wouldnt wanna do that sloppy bombing crap.....
We’ve gotta fix this. It has been driving me mad all year. Just consistently bombing to a packed forward line for no result. Absolute insanity and it eventually bit us on the arse last night.

Reactions: 4 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Reading this thread is good therapy , I’m feeling better :)

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Next week will be a tough game and the Saints have shown an ability to score quickly.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If there's another goal by the Doggies to bring it within 1 goal then no matter who wins it will be a huge rush of emotion. Their Grand Final. Which is good for us.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
From the beginning we treated the qualifying final as a free hit.

And it made sense. If we win, great, all good. If we lose, we get an extra game against a bottom of the 8 side to get kilometres into Prestia, Edwards, Nank.

We selected that way too. Lynch out means we might cost ourselves a week off, but it lowers the chance of losing one our most important players to injury for the most important finals.

Prestia in was a risk, but the downside of it not paying off was more game time for Prestia.

And I'm not saying we weren't desperate to win. Just that we were aware it doesn't change that much if we didn't.

If we won, we would have had to beat three top four sides to win a premiership. Now we have to beat an also ran and two top four sides to win a premiership.

Are we in a worse position now?

An extra game for Prestia and Edwards, an extra week off for Lynch, and we still have to win three games.

We also get a chance to play a lower quality opponent to get some systems/balance right. And if we lose to them? Well then we don't deserve a cup. Let's just not think about that.

The pressure of losing a streak is gone. We've taken a punch and know what it feels like. If we're really lucky, we might even get underdog status in a prelim.

IF we use next week to really get into gear, then nothing stops us. Nothing.
All sounds good but if the Tigers are over confident going into the game thinking this will be easy, think again. No easy games at the sharp end of the season.

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Playing the saints earlier this year we had 6 players who didn’t play last night - I think our team will be much better this time around compared to round 4 knowing Lynch will be playing.

surprising that the difference to the two teams are basically to our bottom rung players though.

Higgins = Aarts.........equal
Stack = Pickett............better
Caddy = Chol...............worse
Ross = Graham..........better
Lynch = Rioli.............. Lynch will be back
Broad = Balta..............better