A Look To The Future - Best 22 For 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Look To The Future - Best 22 For 2024

FWIW get Lynch and Gibcus fully fit next year and I think we might make finals.

We will certainly have an easier draw.

Is it all doom and gloom or is there hope?

Here how I think our best 22 will look like.

B: Vlastuin Balta Young
HB: Rioli D. Gibcus Short
C: Ross Tarranto Clarke
HF: Bauer Lynch Martin
FF: Coulthard Ryan Baker
Foll: Nank Hopper Bolton
Int: Sonsie Prestia MRJ Banks

I don’t think Grimes and Broad form warrants selection over those in the backline. Ditto with Graham and Macintosh.

You could make an argument for Cumberland to come in.

Would really want to see Dow and Brown have a big preseason and push into that 22.

The big issue looking at that team is pace. We lack it.
I will add Brown to my team. Comes in for MRJ.

The saddest and biggest disappointing thing about our list at this time is not just enough young talent coming through but also how many of our premiership players have turned into spuds. Broad, Graham, McIntosh, Pickett, Grimes arguably Nankervis, Prestia, Vlaustin with questions marks and consistency about Balta and Bolton. Are they cooked, is it a lack of hunger, passion, maybe too comfortable never getting dropped and Chuck in confidence being shot. These blokes were meant to be our next tier until we bring in the youth. I don't have the answer but unless there is improvement and consistency from this group we are going bottom 4 for the next few years!
It is the post dead cat bounce after Dimma left he sucked the energy out of the joint.

Broad had a very good year when he returned from that BS suspension of 4 weeks. Not coincidentally his form trained off somewhat the last couple weeks after re aigning and his new baby so no real surprise there as all players form drops off after gaining some future security its human nature and occurs with most players to a degree.

Bolton, dropped off markedly in form after his new baby and re signing.

It's human nature.

Marlion has had the sword of Damocles hanging over him all season and actually started the season well before being moved out of position and then dropping off. Time off and getting his WA legal issues out of the way will hopefully help him bounce back in 24 and get him to 1that 00 games so the RFC can tie up any future Pickets.

I'm not concerned about Broad or Vlastuin and Dion is just getting older and will continue as a rotating mid rather than the main man. They will be ok next year.

Nank will just keep being Nank. Grimes re signed but has struggled the past 2 seasons despite his durability this season.

Will be interesting off season for the RFC.

They got to g it right as the next 2 years may prove to be difficult indeed if it goes completely tits up.

Reactions: 2 users
OK - bring in the new era.

We still have a solid core in all areas of the ground and with some smart recruiting, tinkering of the current list and an effective game plan we could well turn it around quickly while re-building.
Alot will depend on the new coach and recruiting, however with the current list as it stands I'd go with something like this -

B........Broad..........Young..........Miller
HB.....Short..........Vlastuin........Baker
C........Ross............Martin..........Banks
HF......Bolton.........Balta.............D.Rioli
F.........Cumbo.......Lynch............Bauer
R........Soldo.........Taranto........Hopper
Int.....Prestia.....Brown....Clarke.....Gibcus
Sub.....Coulthard
Em.....Trezise.....MJ....Dow....Mansell....Ryan....??

Main changes -
- No room for co-captains Nank and Grimes. Grimes should retire and would rather go with Soldo in the ruck with Balta helping out.
- Give the captaincy to Dusty for a couple of years.
- Time to move on from McIntosh, Graham and Pickett (would keep Pickett only if his kids show serious potential)
- Miller back into defence to help Young with the big key forwards. Last chance.
- Forward line is full of players that can take a mark and kick goals.
- D.Rioli back into a forward line with less emphasis on marking space and chasing and more on creating and scoring.

Reactions: 1 user
OK - bring in the new era.

We still have a solid core in all areas of the ground and with some smart recruiting, tinkering of the current list and an effective game plan we could well turn it around quickly while re-building.
Alot will depend on the new coach and recruiting, however with the current list as it stands I'd go with something like this -

B........Broad..........Young..........Miller
HB.....Short..........Vlastuin........Baker
C........Ross............Martin..........Banks
HF......Bolton.........Balta.............D.Rioli
F.........Cumbo.......Lynch............Bauer
R........Soldo.........Taranto........Hopper
Int.....Prestia.....Brown....Clarke.....Gibcus
Sub.....Coulthard
Em.....Trezise.....MJ....Dow....Mansell....Ryan....??

Main changes -
- No room for co-captains Nank and Grimes. Grimes should retire and would rather go with Soldo in the ruck with Balta helping out.
- Give the captaincy to Dusty for a couple of years.
- Time to move on from McIntosh, Graham and Pickett (would keep Pickett only if his kids show serious potential)
- Miller back into defence to help Young with the big key forwards. Last chance.
- Forward line is full of players that can take a mark and kick goals.
- D.Rioli back into a forward line with less emphasis on marking space and chasing and more on creating and scoring.
Good work H.

My only change would be Miller out. Gibcus is a far superior player than Miller and must play down back if Balta is moved forward. Ryan to come into the team in replace of Miller.

Reactions: 1 users
B Vlaustin Balta Broad
HB DRIoli Gibcus Brown
C Short Taranto Coulthard
HF Baker Lynch Clarke
FF Martin Ryan Bauer
R Nank Bolton Prestia

Young Sonsie Cumberland Hopper Grimes Banks KMac
Updated

B Vlaustin Young Tresize

HB Brown Balta Short

C DRioli Taranto Banks

HF Clarke Bauer Baker

FF Martin Lynch Cumberland

R Soldo Prestia Bolton

Broad Ryan Gibcus Sonsie Hopper

so are we putting all hard earned on a 3rd year player
that spent a year on the sidelines
Season 9 What GIF by The Office

I have us trading Graham, Prestia and Vlastuin for draft picks and retiring Grimes and McIntosh if they can't or won't be traded.

B Broad Young Bauer
HB Trezise Gibcus Short
C Ross Rioli D Vice Captain, Banks
HF Coulthard Baker Vice Captain, Hopper
F Martin Captain, Lynch Balta
R Soldo Taranto Bolton
I/C Brown, Clarke, Dow and Nankervis.
Sub Cumberland.

A lot will depend on the close season whether we get more retirements or players moving on the other pastures. We are certainly in a transition period. On the bright side, I think we have a couple of new players due to play next season named Tom Lynch and Josh Gibcus barring injures of course

A forward line of

Cumberland Balta Martin
Bauer Lynch Bolton

looks exciting and promising. On paper anyway.

Reactions: 1 users
Short Young Grimes
Vlaustin Gibcus Rioli
Banks Baker Clark
Cumberland Balta Martin
Bolton Lynch Koshitske
Nankervis
Taranto
Hopper

inter: Ryan Brown Prestia Broad

Trezise Miller Ralphsmith
Mansell McIntosh Pickett
Dow Sonsie Graham
Smith Campbell
Coulthard Bauer Colina
Hayes Brown
Ross
Rioli

Balta has to play forward. Not disciplined enough to play back. Don’t think he has the footy is to play forward either, but at least he won’t bleed goals down back. He’s a real quandary imo

Problems.
Problems at the coalface.
Problems on the wings (size and class)
Problems at the fall of the pill.
Problems with age.
Problems with real class. (not enogh)
Problems with real pace (see above)

If Brown, Smith, Clatke, Sonsie dont make it..... its gonna be a setback.
On paper, Lynch makes a massive difference and should get us over the line in half a doz games. But this side doesnt look top 8 to me. 7-8 at best.

Vlastuin Balta Broad
Baker Gibcus Rioli
Banks Taranto Ross
Coulthard Lynch Martin
Bolton Kosi Bauer
Nank Hopper Prestia
Trezise Clarke Short Cumberland
Graham

Not easy. For me McIntosh and Pickett not in best team. Grimes too. Kosi takes 2nd ruck. Trezise gives us flexibility so gets a go. Graham sub.

B: Young Kosi Gibcus
HB: The Prince Vlastuin Short
C: Marlion Hopper Ross
HF: Dion Dusty Bakes
F: Cumbo Lynch Balta
R: Samson TT $hai
I: (from) Broad Graham Trezise Clarke Banks Brown Sonz Coulthard MoJu

Will be interesting to see what the cascade affect will be with the inclusions of Kozi and trading of Soldo.

Will we play three talls - Lynch, Kozi and Ryan (with Ryan rotating forward/ruck/bench) - or will we only play two talls?
With Kozi coming in, Gibcus uncertain and Biggy traded, will Miller be settled in as a backman instead of a ruck/forward?

For me, I hope that we prioritize out forward pressure. I think we need more mid/small crumbers who can break away from stoppages and race back into our forwardline. Players that can lock the ball into the F50 and sweep on the spilled ball. Players who can stop the oppositions easy rebound ball movement. We need the tall targets to kick up goals and stop intercept marking but we desperately need to rediscover our forward pressure and that comes from team buy in and quality small forwards. Its what won us three flags.

Balta should be trialed on the wing at least at some point. impossible match up.
He is not a backman nor a forward. He is in-between.

Imagine the transition through the middle!

Last edited:
B Broad Balta Young
HB Trezise Vlastuin Short
C Banks Hopper Clarke
HF Cumbo Kosi D Rioli
F Dusty Lynch Bolton

R Ryan Taranto Baker
IC Nank Gibcus Bauer Coulthard
Sub Sonsie