A Look To The Future - Best 22 For 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

A Look To The Future - Best 22 For 2024

I think our youth have a lot more upside than people are willing to think about.
For years now our youth haven't been a priority, the goal has been finals and premiership window and extending that. Bringing in Taranto and Hopper was designed to lengthen that window and when it didn't, Dimma jumped ship. He wasn't here for a rebuild again. We avoided giving any players any run on games... Young was probably one of the only players that was retained after having a few bad games and he played himself into a bloody good backman. He is elite in 1to1 and will probably be one of our best next year IMO.

Hopefully the addition of a new senior coach and some additional assistants provides enough new energy to give these kids some real motivation and drive. One of our biggest issues IMO isn't with youth talent, Collingwood have just won a premiership with a fairly 'average' squad. We won 3 in similar fashion. What we're going to lack is leadership on the ground, neither Grimes nor Nank can impact games like Cotchin did. Our team has honestly looked lost since Grimes and Nankervis took over, I'm sure there's more to that picture though.

Gibcus to play back, Balta CHF or I love that wing idea, takes the responsibility off him when he makes such stupid decisions. I dont think Maurice has a future in the team, I think if Sonsie lives up to expectation he is a star, Coulthard showed some real poise, Bauer looks like a real player, Tresize and Brown were highlights when they were finally given a chance and Banks out-played Mansell.

We will likely finish bottom 6 next year, but after a strong 2024 draft, I'm very bullish on the upside.

Reactions: 4 users
Balta should be trialed on the wing at least at some point. impossible match up.
He is not a backman nor a forward. He is in-between.

Imagine the transition through the middle!

He is certainly not a natural forward.

I agree with the wing role, although not sure he has the engine for it.

It would also be a marked change to our current gameplan with the defensive space filling hard running style wingmen.

He could also possibly play as a shallow defensive half forward. Getting the ball in long when we are going forward, then defending against the rebound. The only issue with this role is though that it works best when you have a lead up full forward type who can utilise the space, which we don't appear to have at the moment. Maybe Bauer or Kosi, but no obvious person to play that role. Lynch could have done it in previous years, but not sure what he is going to bring back to the team after his injury layoff.

He is certainly not a natural forward.

I agree with the wing role, although not sure he has the engine for it.

It would also be a marked change to our current gameplan with the defensive space filling hard running style wingmen.

He could also possibly play as a shallow defensive half forward. Getting the ball in long when we are going forward, then defending against the rebound. The only issue with this role is though that it works best when you have a lead up full forward type who can utilise the space, which we don't appear to have at the moment. Maybe Bauer or Kosi, but no obvious person to play that role. Lynch could have done it in previous years, but not sure what he is going to bring back to the team after his injury layoff.
wingers are gut runners, noah would blow up 10mins into the first quarter, and then get exposed the rest of the game.

Reactions: 1 users
I think Kosi plays back and Balta goes forward
I personally think both will mostly play forward (especially if Gibcus is fit) & one of the two to pinch hit in the ruck (most likely Balta)?

Reactions: 1 user
How I think we line up next year:

B: Grimes Young Vlastuin

HB: D.Rioli Broad Short

C: Ross Hopper Banks

HF: Prestia Martin Baker

F: Koschitzke Lynch Balta

FOLL: Nankervis, Taranto, Bolton

INTER: Graham, Gibcus, Coulthard, Cumberland

SUB: Clarke

EMERG: McIntosh, Sonsie, Naismith

B: Brown Miller Mansell

HB: Ralphsmith Trezise Smith

C: McIntosh Dow Pickett

HF: Clarke Ryan M.Rioli

F: Colina Bauer Campbell

FOLL: Naismith, Sonsie, Green

INTER: Hayes-Brown

Last edited:
Can’t see Balta running up and down the wing he doesn’t have the aerobic capacity
I like Balta taking intercept marks maybe we should give him a go as CHB every time he’d get the ball he could launch it into our forward 50

Short Gibcus grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Mcintosh Pickett broad
Baker Koschitzke Dusty
Bolton Lynch Ryan
Nankervis Taranto Prestia
Graham hopper Cumberland sonsie

mansell …….. banks
brown Young Coulthard
trezise ralphsmith Clarke
Campbell miller smith
green Bauer m. Rioli
Colina Ross Dow
I/c Hayes-Brown

• Obviously this depends on a clear injury list

• For balance across two teams we need a mature body full back ASAP

• some younger guys have had some afl exposure to take into the pre-season which willl help us long term

Last edited:
Short Gibcus grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Mcintosh Pickett broad
Baker Koschitzke Dusty
Bolton Lynch Bauer

mansell …….. banks
brown Young Coulthard
Campbell miller smith
green Ryan m. Rioli
Colina ……. Dow
I/c Hayes-Brown

• For balance across two teams we need a mature body ruck-rover and a full back ASAP

• some younger guys have had some afl exposure to take into the pre-season which willl help us long term
It’s not a bad starting line up, but I expect, hope really, that some of the veterans like Grimes, KMac and Pickett are very soon making way for the younger brigade.

Short Gibcus grimes
Rioli Balta Vlastuin
Mcintosh Pickett broad
Baker Koschitzke Dusty
Bolton Lynch Bauer

mansell …….. banks
brown Young Coulthard
Campbell miller smith
green Ryan m. Rioli
Colina ……. Dow
I/c Hayes-Brown

• For balance across two teams we need a mature body ruck-rover and a full back ASAP

Baker Balta BigV
Brown Young Baker
Sony Prestia Short
Kosi Dusty Bolton
Coulthard Lynch Cumberland
Sampson Tarranto Hopper

Broad Rioli Banks Graham

We are about 3-4 players short of competing with the top teams

Start of preseason can’t come quick enough.

Super excited to see what Ouzo can do with this playing group.

I sense @caesar training report are going to be far more detailed.

Reactions: 4 users
Grimes, boy I don’t know.

If Gibcus is fit…

Reactions: 2 users
Grimes, boy I don’t know.

If Gibcus is fit…
Grimes, Macintosh and Pickett all should be on the outer.

If we are serious about rejuvenating the list the likes of Banks, Brown, Clarke, Sonsie, Trezise etc should be pushing ahead of these blokes.

Interesting preseason coming up. One thing is for sure these veterans won’t go quietly.

Reactions: 6 users
I reckon we might have one of the worst forward structures in the comp and when people suggest Balta going forward, my fears are heightened.
Backs and Mids are okay for a team around the bottom of the eight.
Years of devaluing forward craft have taken their toll.

Injuries aside, we could be better with more forward nous.

HF Daniel Tommy Dusty
F Shai Kosi Noah C

Tommy and Dusty are clearly the key for 2024. Can they turn back time? They could make or break us.
Daniel will be a star anywhere these days.
Tommy great if fit.
Dusty holds the keys to the city. But ??
Shai must consistently deliver on huge potential.
Kosi ?
Noah ?
*Plus More goals from midfielders.
Go Tiges!

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Some of the young boys got a taste last year, I hope it wets the appetite for a big preseason. It'll be their pressure for a spot that will drive the old boys as well.
The message will be different this year, hopefully it will reignite the passion.

B: Vlastuin Balta Young
HB: Rioli D. Gibcus Broad
C: Banks Tarranto Clarke
HF: Bauer Lynch Martin
FF: Coulthard Ryan Baker
Foll: Nank Hopper Bolton
Int: Prestia Short Ross Brown
Emg: Sonsie MRJ Grimes Kosi Cumberland Mansell Graham Pickett

Assuming Nank is fit, I reckon 3 of Lynch, Bauer, Ryan and Kosi play. I'll start the mobile one (Bauer) and the true back up ruck (Ryan)
Im pretty sure Grimes will start, but if Gibcus is fit I dont see room for him at this stage.
Graham will probably play, but he is probably competing for a spot with Ross.
I would rather Baker back, but want Brown in that last spot to start. Maybe he swaps with DRioli. Or one of the talls misses- but Broad will play, Young should play, and Balta and Gibcus are locks if fit.
We need the likes of Coulthard, MRJr etc to play more expansive games from hlaf forward getting up and back the field more. Might be a role for Mansell too? or DRioli.
i like to idea of Clarke and Banks (or Brown) as our wings. They can run and use the ball.

Our fwd line needs a revamp - Dimma got it all wrong this yr.
One thing this yrs finals series showed is we need more pace in the FWD line - D Rioli to return there with Coutlhard as the hard running high forwards. Dusty and Bolton to rotate through the middle and fwd line. Balta in the fwd line to provide the long leading target. Cumbo to be given more opportunities there also, and hopefully Lynchs foot is not stuffed.

B.......Broad..........Young...........Vlastuin
HB....Baker..........Gibcus..........Short
C.......Banks.........Dusty............Ross
HF....DRioli.........Balta............Coulthard
F.......Cumbo.....Lynch...........Bolton
R........Nank........Taranto......Hopper
Int.....Prestia.......Kosi.......Trezise.....Ryan

Our fwd line needs a revamp - Dimma got it all wrong this yr.
One thing this yrs finals series showed is we need more pace in the FWD line - D Rioli to return there with Coutlhard as the hard running high forwards. Dusty and Bolton to rotate through the middle and fwd line. Balta in the fwd line to provide the long leading target. Cumbo to be given more opportunities there also, and hopefully Lynchs foot is not stuffed.

B.......Broad..........Young...........Vlastuin
HB....Baker..........Gibcus..........Short
C.......Banks.........Dusty............Ross
HF....DRioli.........Balta............Coulthard
F.......Cumbo.....Lynch...........Bolton
R........Nank........Taranto......Hopper
Int.....Prestia.......Kosi.......Trezise.....Ryan
You are robbing Peter to pay Paul.

You also need speed off half back.

If we are to move D.Rioli back to the forward line then we need to address the lack of speed off our half back line.

For me D.Rioli stays where he is. And we address our lack of quick small forwards via the draft.