Acceptance - we are now a middling side | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Acceptance - we are now a middling side

When do we stop saying Collingwood are ‘red hot’ and start saying they’re just a much better team these days?

More skill, more pace, more cohesion.

We were beaten by a better side.
True, we were. We are not composed, even some of our dependable are a little panicky or wanting to play to fast. We need slow the mind down and look. F50 entries are shocking and need to be fixed asap

Could easily have been slaughtered in the first half n could almost have pinched it in the second half. Most annoying bloody thing about the game was that we pretty much bent ourselves over all night long.
So many players falling over at crucial moments, players completely butchering the ball n delivering it when clear, on a plate back to Colonwood, players changing their minds then trying to find the third, fourth or fifth perfect option allowing Colonwood to close us down so often.

Not sure yet whether it's going to be a loooong n very frustrating season again, or whether we manage to find a touch of rhythm n balance to our game. But, we need to find some consistency to our play n find it fast. Currently we're either red hot brilliant or abysmally shizenhousen with not much in between.

Reactions: 1 users
You know, I don’t believe it. Well it way to early to think it, that I know.

What I do know is that you are jumping at shadows Carter, and you have almost jumped on the media bandwagon too. The trouble is the media jump on and off sides like a randy meerkat on heat.

History does repeat and doesn’t lie
- last year Melbourne were unbeatable, 110% chance of taking home the flag, but I can’t remember them even making it to the grannie,
- how many times did we see the cats get to the halfway point looking impenetrable, like a nun walking out of a cattery, and then not making the big dance
- remember 2018, how can you forget
- lolnorf, went the first 11 games undefeated, the flag was theirs till they found a cliff and then barely made the 8

Our three flags, our best years, saw us as slow starters, building slowly, patiently putting the pieces together and then climbing the mountain.

The pies remind me of us in 2018 without the flag, something to prove - that 2022 was no fluke cause that’s the wagon the media pushed during the off summer.

I reckon we have all the right pieces, just haven’t quite worked out how they all fit together, and that’s where the magician Dimma gets to work. We won’t know whether Dimma’s magic will work till around round 19 or 20 at the earliest.

Early season dominance can be a mirage - way to early to get sucked into it.

Reactions: 14 users
You know, I don’t believe it. Well it way to early to think it, that I know.

What I do know is that you are jumping at shadows Carter, and you have almost jumped on the media bandwagon too. The trouble is the media jump on and off sides like a randy meerkat on heat.

History does repeat and doesn’t lie
- last year Melbourne were unbeatable, 110% chance of taking home the flag, but I can’t remember them even making it to the grannie,
- how many times did we see the cats get to the halfway point looking impenetrable, like a nun walking out of a cattery, and then not making the big dance
- remember 2018, how can you forget
- lolnorf, went the first 11 games undefeated, the flag was theirs till they found a cliff and then barely made the 8

Our three flags, our best years, saw us as slow starters, building slowly, patiently putting the pieces together and then climbing the mountain.

The pies remind me of us in 2018 without the flag, something to prove - that 2022 was no fluke cause that’s the wagon the media pushed during the off summer.

I reckon we have all the right pieces, just haven’t quite worked out how they all fit together, and that’s where the magician Dimma gets to work. We won’t know whether Dimma’s magic will work till around round 19 or 20 at the earliest.

Early season dominance can be a mirage - way to early to get sucked into it.

I agree on a number of your points, YOTT

It is true that we have built slowly in all our premiership years. The only year we dominated was 2018.

It is also true that Dimma and his assistants will fiddle until they find the right mix.

My point is that we are carrying too many players past their prime. This is different to 2017, when we had our core in their prime and a sprinkling of good kids like Rioli.

Until we have addressed the problem of Riewoldt, Cotchin, Grimes, Nankervis, and Vlastuin I believe we will remain a middling side.

The season is a long one and I think we have a high ceiling with this overall group, which is the positive.

Our lack of speed and our poor kicking are the concerns for me. Not sure that is fixable in a season.

Poor kicking skills are our biggest issue. Never has elite kicking been more important; we don't have it.

Chaos is dead. SHocking and the stand rule saw to that.
there wasnt enough tackling pressure for me, the pies defenders basically walked the ball out of defense,
when we did apply tackles we looked far better
jnr's tackle on daicos was gold, also showed was a plastic touch cxxt daicos is , glad jnr got right back in face and daicos backpeddled

We aren't 1991 Richmond but with the 3 flags in the back pocket the supporters want more. Hardwick and Co cannot continue expecting the same 8 or 10 players from that time to continue to have influence in the games.
The kid in the backline yeah he might be 22 but he is new.
Sony, Cumberland, Clarke, Rioli, Banks etc should now be selected in front of that 8-10.
Rejuvenate the group

Reactions: 1 user
I agree. I feel they are a bit fragile. We could have won tonight with a little more composure.

I get it. Coulda, shoulda ,woulda. But without trying to be disrespectful, we were below par tonight with four key players out.

Their game plan is ideal for finals footy. We proved that. But I am not sure they can really replicate that throughout this season and in to the finals.

There are some very good teams out there this year, and Collingwood is one of them, but not the best of them for mine.
those 3 easy goals almost dead in front would have helped

The reality is that we have to rejuvenate the senior team now. We have too many old, tired, carrying alignments, had sucess and unfit players going at 80% capacity that don't gut run anymore. You see them in the middle of the ground jogging while our opponents run away with the ball. You see them in the forward line watching the ball rebound with no pressure. Our "Richmond style game" "Richmond Man" status means Jack *smile* when we are not playing at 100%. Dylan Grimes looks overweight and unfit down back also. We have to play the kids now and let the superstars decide if they want to play at 100% or retire. It's as simple as that. AFL is a brutal game.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I will start to say we are middling side when we lose games with Hopper, Martin, Short and Broad in the team.

They were massive outs last night. Let’s not underestimate that.

Reactions: 12 users
If we can get some players back by next week , the next 3 games will tell us where we are at

Three rounds in. Silly season. Teams will settle.

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but the majority of the early season games pit teams of roughly equal standing against each other. Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Bulldogs, Sydney and Port Adelaide all have the majority of their early games against each other. The lower ranked teams ditto against other more lowly ranked teams. This is the case for the first third of the season.

It is designed to throw up a few curve balls. Geelong lose their first two. Bulldogs in crisis after two games. Brisbane struggling after three. Essendon, North and St Kilda all off to flying starts.

No one will know which teams are contenders and which are pretenders until the second half of the year. At the moment we are like a top 10 golfer who has had a few pars, a birdie and a bogey after six holes of a 72 hole tournament.

Anything is possible.

Reactions: 11 users

Not sure if anyone has noticed yet but the majority of the early season games pit teams of roughly equal standing against each other. Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond, Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Bulldogs, Sydney and Port Adelaide all have the majority of their early games against each other. The lower ranked teams ditto against other more lowly ranked teams. This is the case for the first third of the season.

It is designed to throw up a few curve balls. Geelong lose their first two. Bulldogs in crisis after two games. Brisbane struggling after three. Essendon, North and St Kilda all off to flying starts.

No one will know which teams are contenders and which are pretenders until the second half of the year. At the moment we are like a top 10 golfer who has had a few pars, a birdie and a bogey after six holes of a 72 hole tournament.

Anything is possible.
Yep. Many reacting like corks in the ocean.......

Anything is possible.
Yep and I agree with what David King just said on SEN in that we will gel by R14 onwards.

Pressure... Tick
Tackling... Tick
Defence.... Tick

Those 3 win you premierships and right now we are ticking all those boxes.
Hopefully team selections, fitness and gelling fix themselves by the 2nd half

Reactions: 4 users
I'm really wondering about our forward line coaching. it has all the hallmarks of the Carlton disarray from a few years ago. Not sure what the message is or whether there is a coherent plan. I don't like seeing Lynch and Riewoldt flying in the same pack and from the little I saw Cumberland should be selected, as he is a natural forward, talented at being elusive.
Rutten comes back and the backline has absorbed much pressure with key players out.
We are getting it down there (inside 50) but then we seem to break down imo

We had four key players out.
It was not a definitive performance by any stretch.
The team is evolving all the time.
The idea that the team is stagnating is ridiculous.
Collingwood are banking early wins but it does not mean they will be there at the finishing line.

Too many holes from my perspective, forward line looks like a work in progress, the midfield still lacks pizazz. If we're not middling now we certainly will be when Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Pickett, Prestia & Lynch retire. Our entire A list are in their 30's, we don't have a decent draft hand next year so all the replacements will have to come in 2024, midfield will need 2-3 years in development time, forward line even longer. For those who think free agency will come to the rescue are in for a rude shock in my opinion.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users