The Glass Half Full Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Glass Half Full Thread

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
There has been a torrent of negative posting in the last few weeks, I get it as we are all disappointed. However some of the posting has been way over the top imo, I especially don't like almost nasty bagging of players that have given us some of the greatest joys of our Richmond supporting lives.
This thread is only for those who want to look at the positives and look forward. I posted on another thread that I was actually more confident of the future now than I was at the start of 2022 and the major reason for that is I believe we have found some players.
As context to me we need two inside midfielders who can win clearances, the one I particularly want is Taranto. The other is we desperately need a young key forward and it may be that we have to draft one but also bring in a foot soldier type in the interim. The experiments of Balta and Gibcus at times going forward is because we lost our two main backups in CCJ and Chol.
The positives to me are
Cumberland- Looks a natural forward, classic example of a player who is better at AFL level with better players around him
Gibcus- out of gas but will be a top shelf defender for a long time
Sonsie, Brown, Banks and Clarke- Sonsie will be a very good AFL player you can see it already, poise and class. The other 3 all look like they could be players and I would be surprised if at least one of them doesn't make it to a pretty good level. The one I particularly like is Brown who to me is just finding his feet but both Banks and Clarke have also shown a bit.
Miller- took a long time but he looks like he could be a very solid key back.
DRioli- turned himself into one of the better running defenders in the game
Baker- We need to settle on a position for him but he gets better every year.
Ross has been pretty good at times this year and we have actually missed him the last few weeks.
MRJ is still a baby, he won't be Cyril but he will be a lot better in the future than he is now.

All these players are young. There has been a lot posted during the year that the cupboard is bare, it isn't.

Reactions: 24 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
There has been a torrent of negative posting in the last few weeks, I get it as we are all disappointed. However some of the posting has been way over the top imo, I especially don't like almost nasty bagging of players that have given us some of the greatest joys of our Richmond supporting lives.
This thread is only for those who want to look at the positives and look forward. I posted on another thread that I was actually more confident of the future now than I was at the start of 2022 and the major reason for that is I believe we have found some players.
As context to me we need two inside midfielders who can win clearances, the one I particularly want is Taranto. The other is we desperately need a young key forward and it may be that we have to draft one but also bring in a foot soldier type in the interim. The experiments of Balta and Gibcus at times going forward is because we lost our two main backups in CCJ and Chol.
The positives to me are
Cumberland- Looks a natural forward, classic example of a player who is better at AFL level with better players around him
Sonsie, Brown, Banks and Clarke- Sonsie will be a very good AFL player you can see it already, poise and class. The other 3 all look like they could be players and I would be surprised if at least one of them doesn't make it to a pretty good level. The one I particularly like is Brown who to me is just finding his feet but both Banks and Clarke have also shown a bit.
Ross has been pretty good at times this year and we have actually missed him the last few weeks.
MRJ is still a baby, he won't be Cyril but he will be a lot better in the future than he is now.

All these players are young. There has been a lot posted during the year that the cupboard is bare, it isn't.
Cumberland and Sonsie have been massive wins out of the last two weeks.

They have really given me some optimism about next year.

Gibcus is a huge prospect for the future.

Also, the dream is alive!
Screenshot_20220723-083310_AFL.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Good thread. Things are rarely as good or as bad as they seem.

I think my frustration is more around certain discrete issues rather than the actual results (e.g. player selection, headlessness in the last few minutes of games). Plenty of things are random in a footy game, those things aren't. Bad kicking is bad football. Bad discipline is bad football. Poor selection and not rewarding VFL form is poor coaching. Players and coaches have not helped themselves.

As for our list, I don't think anyone is denying there is talent there, but all lists have talented young players. Are ours any better or worse? I'd like to see them all be given an opportunity to find out, rather than persisting with the same olds. Sonsie should play the rest of the season. As should MRJ or Clarke and Cumberland. One of Miller and Gibcus as well. We have some tough games left, let's see who can hack it at the level.

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Finally, thanks Stinger - I agree, we are spluttering along but I don’t think we are out of second gear - there is so much improvement that we can still get out of this squad, which is saying something given the size of the mountain we have camped on for so long. Hardwick just needs to work out how to crunch the gear box and slam it into third, the dam clutch keeps slipping atm but I reckon they will find a way.

I am more confident now that we can still make the 8 than I was before the Freo game tbh - I thought after the suns and lolnorf game - we were done.

We have discovered youth, all the players you have mentioned have shown something at the AFL level already and add those to the under 25s we are rebuilding OK, as you say the jobs not finished yet.

Can we go again, nothing is guaranteed but this season is a not finished yet. I remember 2017 threw up some strange games, those 3 close losses in a row each by a kick and the thumping late in the season loss to the aints - tide hasn’t gone out yet.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
After the misery of the previous couple of weeks I actually surprised myself by feeling positive before the Freo game.
And right now I reckon we can learn and improve enough on last night to beat Brisbane next week.
And then ….. well who knows?

Reactions: 3 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
The positives to me are

I'd say the cupboard is bare, but the garden is bearing fruit.

Reactions: 3 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Yes we have several promising youngsters and it always exciting to see them progress but equally deflating when they don't.

I said a few weeks ago if after 5 years we don't know if Miller is a keeper something has gone wrong. I liked what I.saw close up last night. Cumberland high energy and looks like he wants the ball. Good attributes. Could go on to other players but won't.

However a positive only thread don't have long shelf life. We will only know how good the next Gen is when the established stars call it a day.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
1 kick separates us from Geelong and Freo who are 1st and 3rd on the ladder. Had we closed the Suns and North game then we would be looking pretty. If we make the finals, we are the most dangerous team.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
. We will only know how good the next Gen is when the established stars call it a day.
Not quite sure what to make of this thought. Established stars calling it a day???
Lynchman injured, the Dusty one rarely seen, Lamblett cooked, Shedda cooked, Cotch n Jaaack still competent yet hardly dominant. The established stars may not quite have called it a day, but there's youngsters pushing through that while very inexperienced are proving easily up to the task and challenge of senior footy.
Immaturity and inexperience rather than lack of ability is the biggest issue for our youngsters.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks, Sinnerman. This thread is my jam.

How much has gone wrong this year? Everything? Or only nearly everything? Have we given up? Have we thrown in the towel? Has the coach lost the players? Nup, nup and nup.

Sweet are the uses of adversity,
Which, like the toad, ugly and venemous,
Wears yet a precious jewel in his head.

- Duke Senior, As You Like It, W. Shakespeare.

The wheel's gonna turn. It always does. September, with everyone fit. We can get on a roll with a bit of luck.

Reactions: 4 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006

heard brendon gale last night - he sums up where we are at very well

the balance between "contending and regenerating"

thought we had a shot this year, but unfortunately re reckons 2023 will be harder

Last edited:

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
2023 will be harder because Cotch will be 33, Dusty and Grimes 32, Jack 34. On the other hand, I could see a Superhunk or three emerging from last year's draftees, and we should have recruited mature midfield quality between seasons.

Anyway, 2022 is still alive.

Reactions: 1 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
There has been a torrent of negative posting in the last few weeks, I get it as we are all disappointed. However some of the posting has been way over the top imo, I especially don't like almost nasty bagging of players that have given us some of the greatest joys of our Richmond supporting lives. This thread is only for those who want to look at the positives and look forward. I posted on another thread that I was actually more confident of the future now than I was at the start of 2022 and the major reason for that is I believe we have found some players. As context to me we need two inside midfielders who can win clearances, the one I particularly want is Taranto. The other is we desperately need a young key forward and it may be that we have to draft one but also bring in a foot soldier type in the interim. The experiments of Balta and Gibcus at times going forward is because we lost our two main backups in CCJ and Chol. The positives to me are Cumberland- Looks a natural forward, classic example of a player who is better at AFL level with better players around him Gibcus- out of gas but will be a top shelf defender for a long time Sonsie, Brown, Banks and Clarke- Sonsie will be a very good AFL player you can see it already, poise and class. The other 3 all look like they could be players and I would be surprised if at least one of them doesn't make it to a pretty good level. The one I particularly like is Brown who to me is just finding his feet but both Banks and Clarke have also shown a bit. Miller- took a long time but he looks like he could be a very solid key back. DRioli- turned himself into one of the better running defenders in the game Baker- We need to settle on a position for him but he gets better every year. Ross has been pretty good at times this year and we have actually missed him the last few weeks. MRJ is still a baby, he won't be Cyril but he will be a lot better in the future than he is now. All these players are young. There has been a lot posted during the year that the cupboard is bare, it isn't.

Plus 2 current picks inside number 20 this draft (if we keep them),

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

heard brendon gale last night - he sums up where we are at very well

the balance between "contending and regenerating"

thought we had a shot this year, but unfortunately re reckons 2023 will be harder
it was an excellent interview. Especially when talking about Tasmania, himself being speculated on as getting the CEO job (he wants it, but I feel for him b.c he aint getting it), how he answered the speculation on Dusty.

He also answered about our flaky history as a club in terms of being at the top and then being hopeless for years. he said he's a student of history. He wants to change it of course.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Not quite sure what to make of this thought. Established stars calling it a day???
Lynchman injured, the Dusty one rarely seen, Lamblett cooked, Shedda cooked, Cotch n Jaaack still competent yet hardly dominant. The established stars may not quite have called it a day, but there's youngsters pushing through that while very inexperienced are proving easily up to the task and challenge of senior footy.
Immaturity and inexperience rather than lack of ability is the biggest issue for our youngsters.
Call it a day was my lazy shorthand for finishing at Punt Rd (whatever the reason).

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Think all our 21 kids will make it.
All have outstanding attributes that we are lacking.
Footskills.
Our i50 entrees are crap.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

The Darksiders are starting to feel like they belong again.

If we make the finals, and I think we will, with a fit squad we'll go deep. Our game works well in the added pressure the finals bring.

Our future looks good. Gibcus, Cumberland (should we call this pair "Soggy Biscuit"?), Sonsie are odds on A Graders. MoJo looking the goods and another who has the Finals pressure game about him.

It's all too easy and lazy to point out the faults, or perceived faults after a loss, but when you concentrate on the positives, we're still in a good place if Dimma and team can bring the best out of our squad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
As Hardwick said we are rejuvenating the list whilst also trying to win games of football.

We are not in the business of bottoming out. We will very much try and follow the Geelong model.

I expect us to be very active this off season. It will mean some favourite sons will go.

We have invested heavily in the draft these last few years. I expect a real crack in the trade period.

We have the nucleus for the future with some very good players.

Bolton
Baker
Rioli x2
Balta
Gibcus
Sonsie
Clarke
Brown
Banks
Cumberland
Ralphsmith
Samson
Miller
Ross
Biggie

Is that a premiership team? No. But it’s a good start.

We just need to fill the holes.