Adam Saad | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Adam Saad

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Saad has been at two developing sides. He wants to be at one that wins.

Reactions: 1 user

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Acceleration vs Velocity.

The 20m is the go to benchmark for footy speed - acceleration. Saad tested quicker than Oleg. And Oleg has some toe.

The radar tests are velocity. How quick at full gallop? Closing speed, wing gallop speed. Oleg is blistering. But he can't break a line the way Saad does. Yet.

If we're interested in Saad we think we can improve him. Immediately. He won't be babysitting Redman and Ridley. He's freer.

That said, we need more than 19 disposals average from a running back.

Bachar is a very different player to Saad. Bachar is measured. Fills the hole. Wins it and runs. Saad halves a lot. We might think we can teach him these harder plays. Very different temperaments but who knows?

Bachar Houli is a Richmond champion. We don't currently have a replacement in the offing.

We are a bit iffy for stoppage. We can be awesome if everybody is right. But our strike mids are ageing and only Shai is coming through right now. And that means we need hurt off half back. Now and maybe next year and the year after.

Geelong is only four more Cam Guthries away from a flag. They've got one. They need five. They lack dash. They should be throwing everything at Saad. Not Higgins.

But they'd need to develop him. Can they do that? Do you think we could?
We wont get that from Saad in our team, because we have multiple run and carry players he wont get the easy receives from team mates because he is the only designated run and carry player at Essendon.

Maybe Saad is a money ball call and our match committee sees him as Georgie replacement not a backman.

That might work, about the same height as Georgie same speed good endurance and probably will kick more goals than Georgie.

I disagree with your call on the 20 mt. benchmark, for midfielders yes you are breaking away from the pack of players but the run and carry player the benchmark is top speed as they have to use their superior top speed to burn off opponents chasing.

Yes Saad tested quicker than Oleg in the 20 mt by .08 of a second that is just under 3% quicker over 20mt that would mean that that in a flat out race Oleg would be about .4 of a meter behind Saad at 20 mt. but by the 24 metre mark would have overtaken him and by the 28 mt mark would be .4 of a metre in front.

In my research I also discovered that Oleg had 5 top 10 finishes in the draft combine. Saad had 1 top 10 finish.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If Saad is leaving Esserdun it's his idea. And fair enough.

Esserdun's backline star this year has been Ridley. His performance has hidden some glaring problems in their backline. Chiefly a lack of talent. But a lack of application at times even by Ridley.

Saad often plays tight at Esserdun to lock something down. And he has to leave his opponent to double team with team mates who would otherwise get chopped up. Redman is a project player. Very immature. Plays like an 18yo. For most of the season Hurley has been in terrible form. Awful. He's the good one. And did find some form eventually.

Francis lacks talent, athleticism and size. If Hooker plays it's usually badly. Zerk Thatcher is an improver but the young ones get caught out of position or they fumble. The senior players like Saad do some baby sitting. McKenna didn't want to play in the backline. Martin Gleeson is in career-best form and holds a spot there.

Who ya gunna be watching? To make sure he doesn't get on the gallop? Only one player - Saad. And that makes it easier. The Dons desperately need more running backs. If Saad is leaving it is his idea.

Would've thought Saad is essential after McKenna departed. Unless they got Caracella in just so they could ignore him, like Geelong.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Saad. Houli has 1 or 2 yrs left and imo Baker is an AA mid in waiting. Why go out and trade one in when you have one sitting in your backline. Hoping dimma is of the same view. Saad Short and Markov will provide good drive from our backline for the next 5 years.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Markov needs a long run of games not just 3-4 then get dumped to fit in a more experienced/ highly rated player.
This would be Saad’s third club which to me says a lot about his team ethic - he hasn’t got one.

Essendon isn't a team.

• Wow

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Saad. Houli has 1 or 2 yrs left and imo Baker is an AA mid in waiting. Why go out and trade one in when you have one sitting in your backline. Hoping dimma is of the same view. Saad Short and Markov will provide good drive from our backline for the next 5 years.
I don’t want Saad - don’t think he’ll be worth the dollars it’ll take to get him. It’s a bit too Hawthorn rebuild like for mine too. I’m all for getting stars - not foot soldiers.
But Baker as a mid - hadn’t thought of that but now that you point it out it seems obvious. One grab, no fumble loose ball gets, seriously good lateral movement and awareness, great hand skills and cool, cool, cool under pressure. Brave over the ball and fast. He’s a certifiable midfield success.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
If Saad's about the money, reckon Essendon will pay enough to keep him. If he wants to be a winner, he'll fall in line with our pay structure.

Melbourne are offering 600.
*smile* that, I wouldnt give him half of that.
He is the exact player we would chase when we were garbage.
Not now.

We wont chase Saad, and let Graham walk.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
We already have a quarterback in Short who is far better by foot left or right. And yes you are right that Markov is quick but being 10% faster than Saad is a huge plus.

Short plays a slightly different game than Houli. Shorty is all about metres gained. Houili plays a bit more delicate and is more about spotting up targets to find space. the end result is the same, but the way they go about it is different.

Saad is probably more somewhere in between, but we would want him to play more like Houli if he came here.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Promote RCD?
He is already on the list. No need to Promote him. He hasn't shown enough to get a game.

Was reading the scratchy wrap-up.

"Played a fantastic game. Displayed his strengths as a powerful inside midfielder, finishing with five clearances and six tackles. His hands were stronger in the contest and the highlight was his ability to explode from stoppage and power through tackles. This often created further opportunities for his teammates around the contest. Overall, a very good game."

The club gets most things right nowadays. Maybe they feel he'll be ready to go next year.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Markov needs a long run of games not just 3-4 then get dumped to fit in a more experienced/ highly rated player.
This would be Saad’s third club which to me says a lot about his team ethic - he hasn’t got one.

In fairness, many players have left the Suns including a few of our own. He hasn't decided he's leaving Essendon yet but there seems to be a lot of unrest down at WIndy Hill or wherever the hell they are now.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Was reading the scratchy wrap-up.

"Played a fantastic game. Displayed his strengths as a powerful inside midfielder, finishing with five clearances and six tackles. His hands were stronger in the contest and the highlight was his ability to explode from stoppage and power through tackles. This often created further opportunities for his teammates around the contest. Overall, a very good game."

The club gets most things right nowadays. Maybe they feel he'll be ready to go next year.

Problem with these scratchy wrap-ups is it feels like every player should be in the 1s. Interesting that at the start of the wrap-up it was a fantastic game and by the end it was a very good game. Clearance and tackle stats were impressive though.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
For the right price I’ll be happy to take him.
Great leg speed and a decent long kick.
Very similar to Houli, faster, but not as good at marking.