AFLW season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

AFLW season

I just pulled the pin on Foxtel sports as I don't want to put up with AFLW on the footy channel ad nauseum.

Yes the women may crack in but the skills are less than our local 3rds footy.

yandb said:
I just pulled the pin on Foxtel sports as I don't want to put up with AFLW on the footy channel ad nauseum.

You know you can simply change the channel rather than cancel a subscription if you don't like a particular program.

I really don't get the negativity towards the AFLW, reckon it is great.

I just don’t get why they can’t score...?!

Their skills aren’t that bad but it’s like the defensive game plans are so far ahead of their skill sets, that it’s impossible to break them down.

Rather than playing freely like a bunch of under 12’s, without the defensive mindsets, they just concentrate fully on not letting the opposition score.

And that’s pretty bloody boring.

Omarkum said:
People are voting with their attendance they love the instensity and committment..womens football is the best thing that has happened for the game in years. Cant wait for the mighty Tigers in 2020.

Be interesting to see at what stage they'll start charging for attendance and how crowds will go when they do.

yandb said:

Absolutely spot on - was thinking exactly the same thing today when I endured a couple of one minute glimpses.

Midsy said:
I just don’t get why they can’t score...?!

Their skills aren’t that bad but it’s like the defensive game plans are so far ahead of their skill sets, that it’s impossible to break them down.

Rather than playing freely like a bunch of under 12’s, without the defensive mindsets, they just concentrate fully on not letting the opposition score.

And that’s pretty bloody boring.
Sounds like you have signed into the Gil School of "score more goals to fix our game and sell more ads".

yandb said:

I ditched Foxtel a year ago. One thing I am pleased the AFL has done this year is have separate websites for the men & women. I really disliked how it was all jumbled in together.

YinnarTiger said:
Sounds like you have signed into the Gil School of "score more goals to fix our game and sell more ads".

If by 'more goals' you mean more than 3, then yes, definitely.

More ads...? A chance to rest my eyes.

Tigers of Old said:
Be interesting to see at what stage they'll start charging for attendance and how crowds will go when they do.

At some stage they'll probably introduce an admission payment

Omarkum said:
People are voting with their attendance they love the instensity and committment..womens football is the best thing that has happened for the game in years. Cant wait for the mighty Tigers in 2020.

Are you having a lend??

Utter garbage!! Another example of Political Correctness being dictated to the masses.

TigerForce said:
Also at a smaller ground which should be a must.
I've watched bits and pieces over the couple of seasons, not a huge amount. But from what I've seen, agree that a smaller ground probably means the women's form of the game gets more out of the sport. In Hobart, Nth Melb played Carlton at the spiritual home of southern Tasmanian football, North Hobart Oval.

Despite North Hobart Oval's sentimental value and the fact that the natural amphitheatre (and intimate, close to the action layout) of it's surrounds creates a great atmosphere when full, it has long been too small a playing area for the men's form of the game at any decent level. But perhaps finds it's niche hosting women's matches.

Panthera Tigris said:
I've watched bits and pieces over the couple of seasons, not a huge amount. But from what I've seen, agree that a smaller ground probably means the women's form of the game gets more out of the sport. In Hobart, Nth Melb played Carlton at the spiritual home of southern Tasmanian football, North Hobart Oval.

Despite North Hobart Oval's sentimental value and the fact that the natural amphitheatre (and intimate, close to the action layout) of it's surrounds creates a great atmosphere when full, it has long been too small a playing area for the men's form of the game at any decent level. But perhaps finds it's niche hosting women's matches.

Yep. The Adelaide v Bulldogs at Norwood Oval looked better too.

Panthera Tigris said:

A smaller ground would be a mistake and lead to more congestion

tiger12 said:
Are you having a lend??

Utter garbage!! Another example of Political Correctness being dictated to the masses.

Yeah. Whats next? Women being allowed into maternity wards? Its the power gone to the PC police gone mad

jb03 said:
A smaller ground would be a mistake and lead to more congestion
Observers who watched the games on these slightly smaller grounds don't seem to indicate that is the case.

Tigers of old..you mock my enthusiam for the womens game and its development...It is the only place where the game is growing..but i am talking "utter garbage" for saying its the best thing thats happened for the game in ages. You mock that no one pays to get in..18,000 people in Geelong are just victims of PC BRAINWASHING according to you...how many people EVER TURNED UP .. even with no gate fee to watch you play TIgers. They dont love the game or that women are playing it...they are just muppets going by you. As I said , how many muppets could you manage to pull.

I am amazed at how totally unaware of their surroundings many are when they have the ball in hand and get totally flattened. I guess for some of those coming from other sports where you don't have to be 360degree aware it is a difficult ability to master. 10 teams this year moving to 14 next year. I just don't think there's enough quality players to cater for that many teams which means you get lower quality games. Big mistake to expand the team base imo (even though the Tigers will have a team next year).

Omarkum said:
Tigers of old..you mock my enthusiam for the womens game and its development...It is the only place where the game is growing..but i am talking "utter garbage" for saying its the best thing thats happened for the game in ages. You mock that no one pays to get in..18,000 people in Geelong are just victims of PC BRAINWASHING according to you...how many people EVER TURNED UP .. even with no gate fee to watch you play TIgers. They dont love the game or that women are playing it...they are just muppets going by you. As I said , how many muppets could you manage to pull.

Last year the first 2 games with Collingwood playing drew crowds of 19,852 and 41,975. Next 5 games averaged 2,640 per game. Interest waned. Melbourne are sports lovers. You could have a snail race and you'd probably get a full house for the first event in Melbourne. How many would you get by Race 10 of the program?

Omarkum said:

I think you may have me confused with someone else Omarkum. AFLW isn't my cup of tea but I don't make fun of it or the people who enjoy it.