Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

123kid said:
When we talk about hunger and premierships, I think there’s a missing part of the story.

In 2018, we had a specific point to prove —> 2017 was not a fluke and we truly are the #1 team.

We successfully proved that point before the finals. The whole football world was gushing over how good we are every week. In 2018, the playing group was able to change the question from “was Richmond’s premiership a fluke like the Bulldogs?” to “Is Richmond the greatest MCG champions in the history of the sport?”

Emotionally, that’s a big success. I reckon deep, deep down the players wanted genuine recognition for the “fluke” premiership that was initially only met with half-hearted praise by quite a few. And they got that before finals.

2019 is very different. We now know there’s generally a universal respect underneath the surface of every assumption made about this group. The only thing left to prove now is to win more premierships and eventually enter comparisons with Geelong and Hawthorn as the greatest team of the professional era.

Once the playing group can taste this possibility, I fully expect guys like Dusty and Trent to go up a level. The hunger will be feverish because they’ll be on the verge of achieving something even greater.

Rance’s return will be within this context if we keep winning without him.

great post except for one thing... they are still giving us nothing.

MD Jazz said:
Zips doesn't bother with details like accuracy when he posts

not of late he hasn't. i used to really enjoy his posts. now its just pointless rants i'm sorry to say.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Dale Morris did his ACL on March 15 and is getting close to resuming in the VFL.

Rance did his on March 21. Any updates?

Huge difference, Rance has 3-4 years left
Morris could be going into his last 10 games

Scientific knowledge in this area has been accumulating in the last couple of years and we’re seeing the results of that with these fast recoveries. Supporters will think it’s a gamble, but it’s a natural progression of the science.

123kid said:
Scientific knowledge in this area has been accumulating in the last couple of years and we’re seeing the results of that with these fast recoveries. Supporters will think it’s a gamble, but it’s a natural progression of the science.

I thought the reconstruction of the knee hasn’t changed in 25 years. It medically recommend a 12 month recovery period.

zippadeee said:
I thought the reconstruction of the knee hasn’t changed in 25 years. It medically recommend a 12 month recovery period.

It takes 24 months to fully heal, but then they realised there’s like a minuscule difference if you rehab it in 12 months, so everyone starting aiming for 12 months and learning what works/doesn’t work in rehab.

Now basically they have the luxury of researching <12 month recoveries because they already learned everything there is, they did it. Can’t really improve on what they were doing. Tried alternatives. Nothing left to discover. So they start allowing athletes to push the boundaries with faster recoveries. The results are really promising, so there’s more research about it.

Pubmed shows a heap of these studies in just the last couple of years

Reactions: 1 user
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Dale Morris did his ACL on March 15 and is getting close to resuming in the VFL.

Rance did his on March 21. Any updates?

Fox sports tonight reported Rance is well behind schedule in his aim to play again this year and those plans have been shelved.
Doubt they were ever serious about it.

123kid said:
It takes 24 months to fully heal, but then they realised there’s like a minuscule difference if you rehab it in 12 months, so everyone starting aiming for 12 months and learning what works/doesn’t work in rehab.

Now basically they have the luxury of researching <12 month recoveries because they already learned everything there is, they did it. Can’t really improve on what they were doing. Tried alternatives. Nothing left to discover. So they start allowing athletes to push the boundaries with faster recoveries. The results are really promising, so there’s more research about it.

Pubmed shows a heap of these studies in just the last couple of years

Cheers good to know.

That does sound about right.

There's just not enough upside, and too much risk, for him to play this year.

caesar said:
Fox sports tonight reported Rance is well behind schedule in his aim to play again this year and those plans have been shelved.

Sounds then, if true, that us supporters have been sold a con by the club. Much talking up of his chances of an amazing recovery/return in '19 by several players and coaching staff.

leon said:
Sounds then, if true, that us supporters have been sold a con by the club. Much talking up of his chances of an amazing recovery/return in '19 by several players and coaching staff.

Mate,We need Jesus,Moses and Royce Hart as well as Rancey this year.

caesar said:
Well you d think if he was close he’d just about be running by now , heard nothing

If you were sold a con, then there i have a few bridges to sell you.

The club didnt come out and say that Rancey would play this season, just that they would see.
Nothing promised but were open to the possibility.

People want to pot the club for anything right now. I guess a few bad losses do that to some.

Feeling let down by the club because a knee reco'd player won't come back in 5 months when we all know it's usually a year takes the cake.

leon said:

Last I’d heard was Grimes saying he’d made stunning progress and Rance saying he was due to meet with the doctor in a week or two to hopefully get approval to start running. It was probably only ever a longshot, but for Fox to say he is well behind schedule is completely at odds with the little we’d heard.

My understanding was , something like this ,

the realistic return was next year

but he is a fast healer usually , and the injury wasnt on the worst end of the scale so there is a glimmer of hope if things went exceptionally well