Alex Rance | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Alex Rance

Feel for those involved who've been hurt by these scurrilous rumours. Hope our club is offering them plenty of support. I am sure that they will be.
Agree. Just read through some comments from scumbags on Higgo's instagram. Can't believe how these oxygen thieves exist.

They might also be giving him a bit of space. Seems to me the last thing he needs right now, regardless of what he is dealing with, is intrusion into his life, even from mates. Social media will always draw a response from those who can access it and it just adds interest to the situation.

Granted, many people are reading a lot into the Social Media silence from his team mates and making up stuff from it, so maybe the strategy is flawed.

Yep, and let's not forget he made a speech to the boys announcing his retirement with a lot of tears flowing.

The club just hasn't uploaded the video as I was desperate to see it.

Reactions: 1 user
That is the most curious part of the whole thing and it's very hard to come up with a plausible reason as to why. It's really what has created this entire thing.

The only thing I can think of is that he has told them not to. Possibly for religious reasons? But agree, certainly the most curious part of all of this.

For those starting rumours that a untrue disgraceful and now dragging people into it.What I can't understand why his farewell speech wasn't posted like any other player and he did mention it did happen and he teared up that's baffling unless he didn't want it posted.

While we don't know the real truth of the story something just doesn't seem right. Why would he go through a year of rehab and then start pre season only to announce a rushed retirement after the draft not allowing the club to replace him. Just doesn't make sense and shows it was a rushed decision. Now this may purely be tied to his marriage dramas. Here's hoping that is the case. We have finally built a team that can see some sustained success and I would hate for one individual to destroy it in an off season.
Didn't ceasar also mention that training after Rances announcement was very subdued.
Hopefully things are cleared up relatively quickly. Also not sure why the club and Rance don't just come out and squash the rumours once and for all

Question is how much damage could this *smile* have done within the playing group and the team culture.

I'm hoping its all *smile* and Chinese Whispers and will have no impact on the playing group.

The other thing thats bothered me the past couple of weeks being the carnival returnof the mens side returning to pre season as an adjunct to the women.

Too much distraction for this pre season kick off for mine so far, not really great for refocussing the playing group.

A 1983 in a different way

The reason the video of Rance telling his teammates he was retiring has not been released could be that it contains sensitive personal information. This information maybe the reason why the other players have not said anything publically.

We do not need to know all the details. Give Rance his privacy and come actual footy time it wont be an issue any more.

Reactions: 3 users
Come on a marriage does not end for no reason.
People make mistakes.
Players are not perfect.
Bring on the footy!

The reason the video of Rance telling his teammates he was retiring has not been released could be that it contains sensitive personal information. This information maybe the reason why the other players have not said anything publically.

We do not need to know all the details. Give Rance his privacy and come actual footy time it wont be an issue any more.

I'm thinking there is no video..... walks in and tells his team mates it's over. Then does the interview with Richo.

Just a question though. Why haven’t any of our players made any congratulatory comments or farewell comments to rancey on social media. It is extremely weird that not one player has posted anything
They are on holidays, in shock and waiting until they can talk to him face to face. Most guys who retire are at the end of the road with age or injuries (or both) and they have often played some games in the seconds. Did they have a players meeting where Rance got up in front of the group to explain why he can't go on and how much he loves this club and loves playing with them all? No such video has been posted yet. Perhaps they feel until that happens it may be possible to change his mind.
Questions...Does he use Punt Road facilities with his Year 11 & 12 Football Academy? If so, will RFC be comfortable continuing to give him that access if they feel he should still be playing for the Tigers?
I can't imagine he'd feel comfortable seeing all the players many times and not being part of the group so I think he'd have to look for other facilities.

Last edited:
Just a question though. Why haven’t any of our players made any congratulatory comments or farewell comments to rancey on social media. It is extremely weird that not one player has posted anything

It would be fair to assume that this is a club/Rance mandate or request. For the whole team to refrain from making any public comment it can only be a club wide decision / (in)action.

Reactions: 1 users
It would be fair to assume that this is a club/Rance mandate or request. For the whole team to refrain from making any public comment it can only be a club wide decision / (in)action.
That could be true but I wonder if many of them feel that since he is only 30, two years to go, that he is being a quitter and not following through on his contract responsibilities therefore not living up to the principles of being a 'Richmond Man'.

Reactions: 1 users
Questions...Does he use Punt Road facilities with his Year 11 & 12 Football Academy? If so, will RFC be comfortable continuing to give him that access if they feel he should still be playing for the Tigers?
I can't imagine he'd feel comfortable seeing all the players many times and not being part of the group so I think he'd have to look for other facilities.
Pretty sure it's run out of Windy Hill..... still home of their VFL side.
If the current scuttlebutt turns out to be a load of crap, I still have an inkling he'll eventually find his way to the bombers in a coaching role, due to his close association with Rutten.

Pretty sure it's run out of Windy Hill..... still home of their VFL side.
If the current scuttlebutt turns out to be a load of crap, I still have an inkling he'll eventually find his way to the bombers in a coaching role, due to his close association with Rutten.

I can see Essendon making him an offer to come out of retirement.

That could be true but I wonder if many of them feel that since he is only 30, two years to go, that he is being a quitter and not following through on his contract responsibilities therefore not living up to the principles of being a 'Richmond Man'.

That would suggest that the entire list, all 40+ players, think the same way. No chance. This is a directive either from Club, Rance or Leadership Group.

I didn't see Pat's comment on it, but it's still more likely that 1 player thinks/acted differently, or just defied/forgot the directive, then 40+ players thinking the same. Especially in the social media world these kids live in.