America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

America, will they ever learn? (Gun Control Debate)

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Re: America, will they ever learn?

America has some of the biggest and best cities in the world.

But the smaller regional centres are as backward and redneck as they were in the 60's. It's quite scary. No value on life.

The entire Colorado thing has shocked me as much as the 9/11 attacks. This was done in the suburbs at a event that every Joe average should be able to go and enjoy. 9/11 took years to plan and was a military operation. This was one mad man who ruined one of the simple pleasres in life. Much like the hotel attacks in India, if someone has the will power to committ these acts, they can. But everyone must keep dong the simple things in life.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

For a country hell bent (or fixated?) on tight security, this is a joke. How do they explain uni students walking into classrooms with firearms...too often??

Even in this case, how could no-one not notice what this lunatic brings to a cinema??

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia

TigerForce said:
Even in this case, how could no-one not notice what this lunatic brings to a cinema??

I'd agree TF, although I must admit I have seen people wear some pretty weird costumes to movie premiers.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003

TigerForce said:
For a country hell bent (or fixated?) on tight security, this is a joke. How do they explain uni students walking into classrooms with firearms...too often??

apparently he walked out through the front exit, lodged the door open, armed up and went back in.

not surprising that gun sales in the US increase after every massacre.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria

Apparently I read that ;

- when arrested and taken to prison he was spitting on guards , prisoners.
- is on suicide watch
- for his own safety is locked in his cell
- that there is talk that prisoners inside want to kill him
- thinks he is the joker

Only in America the land of free will where it is your God given right to " bear arms ". Whose shir doesn't stink !

I hope he does take his own life or the prison guards do a " Williams " and turn a blind eye and he is taken out.

Feel so much pain for those families of the 15 dead and the minds of the 50+ that survived.

Waiting

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

waiting said:
Apparently I read that ;

- when arrested and taken to prison he was spitting on guards , prisoners.
- is on suicide watch
- for his own safety is locked in his cell
- that there is talk that prisoners inside want to kill him
- thinks he is the joker

Only in America the land of free will where it is your God given right to " bear arms ". Whose shir doesn't stink !

I hope he does take his own life or the prison guards do a " Williams " and turn a blind eye and he is taken out.

Feel so much pain for those families of the 15 dead and the minds of the 50+ that survived.

Waiting

Just heard that this lunatic could've killed more if his gun didn't jam. This scum is going to court and hopefully will be executed. Luckily Colorado has the death penalty.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

What are the gun laws in Norway where that other nutter went berserk?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

jb03 said:
What are the gun laws in Norway where that other nutter went berserk?

They've got death penalty but they're mentioning just 21 years jail for this other scum even though he preferred to be killed. Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised political correctness has also reached the air of Scandinavia.....

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

10 years ago I was in Arizona for a conference and went on a desert tour on a day off. The tour guide who drove us had a shot gun lying on the dashboard of the truck. I asked him why he had it and if it was loaded. His answer was that it was loaded and that it was to protect him from the "bad guys". I told him it was not something I was comfortable with and his response was "don't you have bad guys in Australia?". I thought I had landed in a John Wayne western.

To me there are too many trying to diffuse the link between guns and violent crime and they generally look at it the wrong way around. Instead of trying to prove that countries with gun control have as much violent crime as the US, to me the way to look at it is whether the US has less violent crime because people have guns. The answer is no.

To me it's very simple. It's hard to shoot someone if you don't have a gun.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

Sintiger said:
To me there are too many trying to diffuse the link between guns and violent crime and they generally look at it the wrong way around. Instead of trying to prove that countries with gun control have as much violent crime as the US, to me the way to look at it is whether the US has less violent crime because people have guns. The answer is no.
If you want to change the law, the onus has to be the other way round.

Sintiger said:
To me it's very simple. It's hard to shoot someone if you don't have a gun.
Gun control won't stop people getting guns.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

SCOOP said:
America has some of the biggest and best cities in the world.

But the smaller regional centres are as backward and redneck as they were in the 60's. It's quite scary. No value on life.

The entire Colorado thing has shocked me as much as the 9/11 attacks. This was done in the suburbs at a event that every Joe average should be able to go and enjoy. 9/11 took years to plan and was a military operation. This was one mad man who ruined one of the simple pleasres in life. Much like the hotel attacks in India, if someone has the will power to committ these acts, they can. But everyone must keep dong the simple things in life.

Of course its a shocking event, tragic, but nothing new. Serial killers and random massacres and terrorist attacks have been around a long time. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that per capita, the likelihood of dying in that way hasn't changed. More people in the world, more crazies in the world.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

Tigers of Old said:
Best thing Howard ever did in this country was his stance on gun laws following Port Arthur.

That illustrates what a dud Howard was. He had huge majority support for the move. I do give him a few kudos for taking on the Nats, but really, 11 years and his biggest achievement is melting a few 22s down?

I agree with Rosy, crooks get black market guns, made no difference over the long term. We took our guns in. Then got permits and bought the same ones again a couple of years later. End result? Hard to fathom.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006

As horrible as it sounds anyone can get a gun!

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008

Giardiasis said:
Gun control won't stop people getting guns.

Of course it will! Just because a sentence sounds glib doesn't make it right.

If it is hard to gun, MANY people will stop trying to get one. Of course criminals will get guns, blah, blah.

Gun-related deaths - per capita - in the US is ~5 times the Australian levels. There may be 20 factors, but I'm tipping that 'ease of access' is one of them. Perhaps Thomas Sowell could do a factor analysis on the correlation between the US constitution and gun-related deaths. I would be very impressed if the answer is 'no correlation'

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003

lukeanddad said:
Of course it will! Just because a sentence sounds glib doesn't make it right.

If it is hard to gun, MANY people will stop trying to get one. Of course criminals will get guns, blah, blah.

Gun-related deaths - per capita - in the US is ~5 times the Australian levels. There may be 20 factors, but I'm tipping that 'ease of access' is one of them. Perhaps Thomas Sowell could do a factor analysis on the correlation between the US constitution and gun-related deaths. I would be very impressed if the answer is 'no correlation'

all true and I agree. Re the Aus gun laws, its never been that easy to get a gun in Aus. You have to go looking and have your paperwork. The Howard laws didn't do much to change that. If a real crazy or desperado wants a gun he'll get one, but in Aus you won't have the spare of the moment factor like the US has.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

saw this on twitter the other day:

in one year guns murdered 35 in australia, 39 in england and wales, 194 in germany, 200 in canada and 9,484 in the USA.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008

The figure I heard was ~220 in Aus and ~16k in the US (2008 data, so a bit out of date). Multiply 220 by ~15 for a fair comparison...