Andrew Dillion the new AFL CEO | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew Dillion the new AFL CEO

Bit nervous, not as polished a communicator as Gerry Gee, but at least he provided some direct answers to a few questions eg GF to stay at 2.30PM (good), stadium in Hobart needs a roof, etc
Mr Deals never answers anything definitively.
Will wait & see on this one. All politicians start off with good intentions & slogans before the factions exert their influence.

Reactions: 1 user
Imagine having a CV like Gale's and then being offered an administrative job that was previously held by Brad Scott. FMD.

FFS, there were rumours that James Bartel was going to be offered the role. Now I know that James was a great player, but his most famous post playing achievement is being the ex-husband of coke snorting wannabe celebrity Nadia.

Gale should show up to the interview smoking a winnie blue in his bath robe, slippers and shower cap, squat on Dillons desk and drop a number 2 Amanda Heard style, and walk out.

Nah the reports weren't correct.

The AFL will be going hard at Benny to take Dillons previous role as GM of football Operations, not Scott's who will report to this role.

But with a broader and higher paid scope to include setting up the Tasmanian side.

Unfortunately for us he is odds on to take it ILO.

Reactions: 2 users

The AFL will be going hard at Benny to take Dillons previous role as GM of football Operations, not Scott's who will report to this role.

But with a broader and higher paid scope to include setting up the Tasmanian side.

The Tassie set up would be the one that seals the deal. He was a big driver of it and if given the keys to keep driving this he will take it.

I suspect big off field changes occurring at the end of the year.

Whoever the recruiting firm who was entrusted to find the new CEO must’ve been p1ssing themselves when awarded the contract.

Must have been something like this.

Gill - Ok guys, we want to hire you to do an executive search
Recruiting team - Ok, great, we have heaps of experience here, we have plenty of candidates that....
Gill - Hang on there, hold your horses I hadn't finished. We want you to do an executive search "nudging and winking at Dillons office", and we'll pay you $1m to do a couple of sham interviews. Take a bit of time to make it seem like you've done something and then give it to Dillon
Recruiting team - But we are happy to review plenty of candidates that we have access to
Gill - You heard what I said, bank the $1m, do nothing and everything is good

Yeah, he "doesn't buy" the notion of a boys club at AFL HQ. Of course he doesn't, he's part of it.

200%.

Who gives a stuff.

Nepotism or a Political Agenda Quota appointment.

Meh.

I give a stuiff because nothing is gonna change.

About bloody time there was a Richmond man at AFL HQ. He just mentioned on AFL 360 he’s a Richmond supporter and a big fan of Benny.

do you think we'll get looked after more? lololololololololololololololololol, knowing our luck, he'll be one of those types that would go harder on us so it doesn't look like we are being favoured.

Reactions: 3 users
Massive changes at Punt Road already.
President
3 assistant coaches (all quality)

Imagine how unsettling it would be to add the CEO and senior coach to that list.

President

Imagine how unsettling it would be to add the CEO and senior coach to that list.
No time like the present.
Do It Now Hurry Up GIF by Leroy Patterson

Last edited:
If gale gets a role that can get rid of the stand rule, work out a way to communicate and engage with all fans and find a more transparent way for umpire performance to be communicated and improved while maintaining respect then I’m all for it. (And work out tassie)

Reactions: 1 users
President

A dangerous vacuum is looming especially with the senior citizens having to say sayonara as well. I fear another trip into the abyss. Low ladder finish but no early picks. I think that along with some bad luck we have pineappled ourselves.

I don't know why the AFL rushed things, they only had to wait another day and they could've snapped up Alan Joyce :p

• Love
  • Haha
Interesting time for our club I feel.
let’s hope John O’Rourke is made of stern stuff.
sometimes clubs zig when you should zag.
punt road refurbishment in this environment seems an interesting process.
CEO possible out.
coach possible out.
generational change in the playing group.
a new franchise that will be the focus for the next 5 years.
interesting times
nbc GIF by The Blacklist

Really disappointing appointment.

23 years at the AFL, boys club, old xavs, blah blah blah.

The game has never been less watchable, and if the number of kids around my area playing soccer and basketball instead of AFL is any indication, then the future is bleak.

I said things couldn't get worse when Demetriou left. I was wrong.

Great article. Caroline did her homework, more so then imo.

As for yesterdays decision we all know it stinks.

While he looks like he is capable enough
Dillon has nothing like the credentials of Brendon. And his chairman going on about how he was clearly the best available candidate, this after he spent weeks trying to have another candidate elected, and then appointed Gill to continue in tandem for another 6 months!
The place really needs a good turning over. Won’t happen unfortunately.

Talk of the Tigers in the same terms now.
Think it is time for the change of our coach.

We need to rejuvenate after 15+ years, but very much hope Brendon stays. No one’s fault but the place needs some new ideas and new energy.

BTW - If you didn't know Goyder (or however you spell it) is also Chairman of Qantas.

And guess what, they just paid for a global search to replace Alan Joyce as Qantas CEO, only to find the best candidate was in the office next door.

Surely that's just a coincidence.

Surely?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Is that one of the AFL roles guys take for a couple of years, make changes then return to their home club to reap the rewards?
Sounds good if so.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Absolutely likely to take it. Done everything there is to do at Tigerland & he'll have that gig until he retires.

Gill is the high priest of negotiated outcomes. Extended his tenure to allow Dill the time needed to tick off some core competencies required for the job . Brilliant.