Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

I’ve been impressed by Mini so far. Having said that, Benny G will be treating the recruitment of our next coach as his most important decision since keeping Dimma at the end of 2016.

Reactions: 4 users
Results and competitiveness will be the major factor in whether Mini gets the coaching gig, has got off to a good start so far. If the players want him as coach they can help him by winning.

Reactions: 1 users
Think its Josh Carr unless he gets the Port job once Port fail the prelim test again.
If he does then its Mini's.

Reactions: 1 user
In the absence of Vlastuin last week, Mini rightly brought in a tall - Young. Vlastuin's work is mainly front of the pack tall work. High wear and tear work. Sure, Young defends over on the shoulder but he is a tall.

The result absolutely bore out McQualter's decision on this. He was right and always so IMO.

The Cumberland sub thing was wrong IMO. But I'm certain that he had to pick Cumberland as we are out of running reserves atm.

Bringing back the actual tall Vlastuin, Mini has retained Young. And dropped the running Ralphsmith.

He's fielding a more structured side. We get bigger again this week.

Mini is coaching for defence through structure. I think he's looking to roll the dice more and a big backline helps mitigate the cost of *smile* ups.

It's fair to say that given the quality/soundness/fitness of our midfield atm we would be mad not to factor the odd leather storm in our backline. (8-24 I50 in a final quarter FFS.) But we have to improve on what we're serving up. We are getting more from Dion and Chimp atm. Dusty looks to be labouring again but he is a week to week proposition. Shai is low on nitro by the final quarter. We have to expend it early and try to hang on. Taranto is the only one who can give us a full game.

But it's not just the soundness/fitness of our mids at play here. There's a reasonable analysis of the quality of opposition we face. Who's Freo going to play forward? Treacy? FMD. They don't have a tall forward. Ackshelly, pretty much nobody does. All we have is a skinny ruckchild and a geriatric hypermasculine flanker. But that's more than most.

When we meet the threats of 2023 like Collingwood we will need a very structured backline. The threats do have tall forwards. So we are road testing a very structured backline with a tactically risktaking middle of ground.

Oh. Three talls as emergencies. On paper it's a no brainer that Hugo gets the sub job and runs madly for the final 30 minutes. Perhaps at the expense of Young. But. Tall subs are all the rage this week. (How's that working out? Joel Amartey FFS.)

I watch with interest. And occasional alarm.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
On our prospects this week I have us in the game. But. I hate sides the week after they squeak a win. (StKilda line ball at best next week IMO.)

And there was once a rule that if you win two consecutive road games you make the GF. Two consecutive road games is *smile* hard.

The indicators are bad.

But we are a bit unpredictable atm. That is in our favour. And our gerries look to be improving. Over to McQualter and the lads.

Reactions: 1 users
Mini is cooking something different.

We just look so organised down back at the moment. Our back 6/7 look as cohesive as any time 2017-2020.

Reactions: 7 users
Might be the first caretaker coach to win a flag while still in caretaker mode

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Mini is cooking something different.

We just look so organised down back at the moment. Our back 6/7 look as cohesive as any time 2017-2020.
We didn’t have a great run with suspensions and injuries to our backline over the past few seasons… and the start of this season… struggled with continuity, but when we get the back 7-8 together on a regular basis we look good.

Our game plan is built around a strong dependable backline which includes our wingers who need to be aerobic beasts.

When Broad is named on the bench in the starting lineup then backline is in good shape.

Reactions: 4 users
We have seen subtle changes but tonight he showcased what he can do.

Under siege in the last quarter and we went into full control mode. Slow the pace and keep the ball. We changed gears.

I am putting that down to coaching instructions.

Reactions: 7 users
Tremendous coaching by "Quality" McQualter.
We have lost so many assistants.
We need continuity and stability.
Andrew has remained steadfast and loyal to our great club, despite a lucrative offer from Lyon.

Reactions: 3 users
Tonite was different. We looked hard and fast. Best we’ve looked for quite a while in my opinion. And to be honest, if we win next week, I’m going full nuffie mode again and reengaging big time. CMON!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
We have seen subtle changes but tonight he showcased what he can do.

Under siege in the last quarter and we went into full control mode. Slow the pace and keep the ball. We changed gears.

I am putting that down to coaching instructions.

They're definitely playing for him. And we haven't been shitting ourselves as much in those moments.

Reactions: 5 users