Andrew 'Mini' McQualter | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Andrew 'Mini' McQualter

And Jade Rawlings
Freak Out Crying GIF

Does mini have the scary factor that I reckon the best coaches of any sport have.

I love this about Ange Postecoglou

The Aussie, who plays for St Johnstone in the Scottish Premiership, added: “He’s the best coach I’ve worked with. He is so distant and so scary, you are petrified of him - I still am. He’d have certain rules that were just non-negotiable.

“As an average player, I liked that. He just told you what to do and you tried to do it as best you could. He was very good at that.

“There are certain managers who are like, ‘go and express yourself’. I can’t express myself at all. Just tell me what to do and I’ll try to do it!”

Reactions: 1 user
Does mini have the scary factor that I reckon the best coaches of any sport have.
yeah good point , my nephew had 2 seasons at the Bulldogs under Peter Rohde , "nice guy but nobody fears him"
Rohdes record with the Bulldogs 12/16 , 16/16 , 14/16

maybe we don't want Mini to be "nice"

Nathan Broad was on a podcast yesterday and said he wants Mini to get the job. He said he also thinks that most of the playing group want Mini aswell

Reactions: 2 users
With more news circulating that the players want Mini to stay on I wonder if that puts off prospective coaches from wanting to apply for the job?

Reactions: 1 users
Call Leysy old school, but would prefer the players didn't voice an opinion (at least publicly) on who the new coach should be.

There's been a few now, and mainly the more experienced guys.

It's not their place and puts undue pressure on the decision makers who'll make that call.

Much prefer "Mini is doing a great job and we're enjoying playing under him, but we're sure Benny, Blair and Co will cast the net wide to ensure we pick the best person possible to take us to our next flag".

Players play, coaches coach, directors direct, Leysy punts and Dudford picks Duds.

• Haha
Reactions: 23 users
Call Leysy old school, but would prefer the players didn't voice an opinion (at least publicly) on who the new coach should be.

It's not their place and puts undue pressure on the decision makers who'll make that call.

Much prefer "Mini is doing a great job and we're enjoying playing under him, but we're sure Benny, Blair and Co will cast the net wide to ensure we pick the best person possible to take us to our next flag".

Players play, coaches coach, directors direct, Leysy punts and Dudford picks Duds.
If we were a low and failed club, I'd worry. As we're not, and still able to play finals and have a tilt at the flag, I don't mind if most of our senior players want to stick with a coach they've grown up with and respect. Could be risky, but why break our culture.

Watching this week's presser, I have to say it, but he speaks better than Dimma did.

There were clearly two Damien Hardwicks. The one the public saw & the one behind closed doors.
His pressers didn’t give much away & personally that was a good thing.

Reactions: 7 users
Did anyone at the ground see anything different against GWS?

Lots of inside fittys against but we dominated back half turnover and most importantly won the game kicking over 100 points.

Different shape? Positional and structural improvements?

Mini showing some tactical nous?

Did anyone at the ground see anything different against GWS?

I noticed we had 1 less point than them with 1 minute to go, and 6 more than them when the siren went

a coach needs to be all things to all men.

your no chance of success if you skin Kane Lambert's cat the same way as Noah Balta's.

especially since Kane Lambert is retired, and hates cats.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
There were clearly two Damien Hardwicks. The one the public saw & the one behind closed doors.
His pressers didn’t give much away & personally that was a good thing.
The amazon documentary of 2020 showed a bit behind the scenes of Dimma. Not really warts and all but showed a man that was clearly a master of his craft.

He certainly speaks well in front of the media. Seems very confident. Much better than what Dimma was when he first started that's for sure!

Dimma was quite awkward in front of the media when he first started and he even admitted he didnt like doing media work.

Mini on the other hand looks quite comfortable early on. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Benny and Balme and the sport scientists who works with us the lady hopefully putting a process together and start short listing candidates for interviews rather players keep there opinions to themselves.

W
Nathan Broad was on a podcast yesterday and said he wants Mini to get the job. He said he also thinks that most of the playing group want Mini aswell
What do you expect the players to say when asked about McFaulter?
“Nah, we don’t really like him. He’s Dimma light.” Never going to happen.

As for other coaches being put off I reckon they’d back themselves to win the group over.

And as for the club, you never let the tail wag the dog. You pick the best candidate for the job, and if you’ve done it right the players will be just as happy, if not more so than if you appointed their mate.

Reactions: 4 users
"Quality" McQualter.
He has done the heavy lifting as the midfield coach.
Midfield is the most complex and difficult in terms of tactics.
Other assistants have left, taking the 20 pieces of silver.
Richmond became a successful club again, a very successful club, because we implemented continuity and stability.
Thanks to Dimma, Benny, Peggy, and now John.
The era of bloodletting coaches and self-destruction, cutting off the nose to spite the face, is over.

Reactions: 2 users

Agree on old school principle.
Buuuut i've got complete confidence BG and the club have a sound process to get the best. If its someone other than Mini then itll be a very impressive prospect.

No doubt the coach will win the players.
And the players like Broad will give their all and back the new man.
More problems than this to worry about

Watching this week's presser, I have to say it, but he speaks better than Dimma did.
I might be wrong but I Always got the impression it was part of the job Dimma didn’t enjoy ,

But he loved to talk to the players was also my impression.