ARC Appeal | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

ARC Appeal

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I love the uncertainty in some (most ) of the field umps and goal umps calls.

What would we be blowing up about after a game if all the calls were 100% correct?

Long may the umpire controversy reign

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Sorry to drag up the ARC debacle but I couldn't help but think about the gulf in technology between what we see at the Superbowl and what the AFL serves up.

In the NFL every play is analysed within a millimeter of its life. Contentious plays/calls are viewed from a multitude of angles (all in high def) so as to get the correct result.

The AFL has a potato camera :mad:

I understand that we're talking about two different sports with very different budgets etc, but the AFL are now bragging about a $20M profit last year and a pay rise for the fat cats. Surely thay could run down to JB Hifi with the credit card and get something :cool:
I'm cynical enough to think that the AFL like it the way it is so they can stick it to the Richmonds of this world should the need arise.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Just thought I’d cheer everyone up.

Now the umpires call gets to stand when the evidence is inconclusive (even though it looks conclusive) because that’s the rule.

The camera quality remains shizen with the frame rate worse than a 1980s handheld.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Now the umpires call gets to stand when the evidence is inconclusive (even though it looks conclusive) because that’s the rule.

The camera quality remains shizen with the frame rate worse than a 1980s handheld.

That was not enough evidence to overturn the umpire's call, yet the Lynch one was?

F Me are there words to describe just how incompetent the AFL are?

I can understand the goal umpire in that situation thinking it was touched, in real time with a lot of players around. But this is what the ARC is meant to fix, not what the ARC is meant to do.

DS

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Cornes suddenly cares because it is Port and not Richmond that is affected.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

What was the players reaction? Remember that is also taken into consideration….

Hmm..but should it? Remember the memo from Richardson. Don’t want players getting a free kick against because they show some emotion.

Last edited:

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
The big question is how did the arc analyse the swans players reaction? Doesn’t the arc do that anymore? He seemed pretty happy with it so shouldn’t the result be a goal?
I’m confused.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
The Swan didn’t react, which was a sign he didn’t make contact with the ball

Thus sentence from the article above really gets on my quince.They shouldn't be taking this into account when reviewing the footage. But since the afl suggested the arc did take Lynch's reaction into account (incorrectly, mind you) in the elimination final last year they now have to make seen like it's part of the normal process. The arc is such an amateur element of the competition.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
That was not enough evidence to overturn the umpire's call, yet the Lynch one was?

F Me are there words to describe just how incompetent the AFL are?

I can understand the goal umpire in that situation thinking it was touched, in real time with a lot of players around. But this is what the ARC is meant to fix, not what the ARC is meant to do.

DS
Incompetent, or corrupt?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Looked like the Swannies player missed the pill from the *smile* quality footage showed to the public. Funny thing is though that if the player had gone up with an open hand instead of a fist it wouldn't have been an issue as he'd definitely have reached the ball.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
And again we have evidence of another AFL process that is still not fit for purpose. It has been highlighted for years that the technology utilised to determine who wins and who loses any given game is inadequate. McLachlan has done nothing to put in place a suitable goal review system. The sooner this bloke finalises his escape through the sewers under AFL House the better.
Meanwhile his organisation is happily accepting blood money from the defrauding of gambling addicts. Poor suckers have got no hope when old mate in the ARC box loops blurry pixels for two minutes and still can’t tell what happened.

Is there any one thing under the purview of the Australian Football League that works the way it is intended?

• Haha

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
AFL has descended into complete chaos.
Shame.
Hands down best game in the world but run by a collective basket case.

• Haha

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
The big question is how did the arc analyse the swans players reaction? Doesn’t the arc do that anymore? He seemed pretty happy with it so shouldn’t the result be a goal?
I’m confused.
It’s sydanee so I guess they just used the “ common sense” rule they sporadically apply

• Haha

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
They are kidding.
It's like they expect players who are travelling at break neck speed to have the ability to pause life.
Then transport up to the grandstand hit play.
Watch themselves from a 3rd person view.
Compute.
Fast track the outcome.
Pause again.
Magically return to the field.
Press play and then opt not to play so you don't engage Keith and no injury.
(of course then you have to front Dimma and explain why you are auditioning for a scene similar to the movie the club)

If you want to take contact out of the game have the players dress in business suits.

FMD!
Gil Quarters.
Just leave FFS!

Reactions: 4 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
The most corrupt organisation in the world and incompetent at it again and learnt nothing from our incident 6 months ago.

Reactions: 5 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
And no one will ever see better footage that makes it more conclusive, because that doesn’t exist.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
It was clearly touched from the behind the goal footage, the ball deviates to the left (as you look at screen). The question then is did it cross the line before being touched. It appears to, but is it "conclusive"? No, so it stays with umpires call.

Pity they didn't have the same ARC procedure last year.