Artificial Intelligence | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Artificial Intelligence

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
This is the scariest thing I’ve heard. China trying to work out via your brain activity if you truly support the state or not.

Once companies / governments misuse what you think then the world is beyond rooted.

Listening to Your Undivided Attention (Protecting Our Freedom of Thought with Nita Farahany)

We are on the cusp of an explosion of cheap, consumer-ready neurotechnology - from earbuds that gather our behavioral data, to sensors that can read our dreams. And it’s all going to be supercharged by AI. This technology is moving from niche to mainstream - and it has the same potential to become exponential.

Legal scholar Nita Farahany talks us through the current state of neurotechnology and its deep links to AI. She says that we urgently need to protect the last frontier of privacy: our internal thoughts. And she argues that without a new legal framework around “cognitive liberty,” we won’t be able to insulate our brains from corporate and government intrusion.

https://your-undivided-attention.si...reedom-of-thought-with-nita-farahany-_HAu6pb4

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
This is the scariest thing I’ve heard. China trying to work out via your brain activity if you truly support the state or not.

Once companies / governments misuse what you think then the world is beyond rooted.

Listening to Your Undivided Attention (Protecting Our Freedom of Thought with Nita Farahany)

We are on the cusp of an explosion of cheap, consumer-ready neurotechnology - from earbuds that gather our behavioral data, to sensors that can read our dreams. And it’s all going to be supercharged by AI. This technology is moving from niche to mainstream - and it has the same potential to become exponential.

Legal scholar Nita Farahany talks us through the current state of neurotechnology and its deep links to AI. She says that we urgently need to protect the last frontier of privacy: our internal thoughts. And she argues that without a new legal framework around “cognitive liberty,” we won’t be able to insulate our brains from corporate and government intrusion.

https://your-undivided-attention.si...reedom-of-thought-with-nita-farahany-_HAu6pb4
That was talk last week that goal umpires might be removed for this.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I saw a thread titled artificial intelligence and I thought I would be reading about Sky News …..

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I think there are a lot of people seriously over-estimating what is possible in terms of working out what is going on in peoples' minds. We are not even close to understanding how the brain works, so far away it is not funny.

The biggest problem I see with AI is that it could take jobs away without reducing working hours. Let's face it, if AI replaces lots of jobs we should all be working maybe 20 hours a week and certainly not 5 days a week. But that's just not how this system works, it will shove people out of jobs, profits will rise, and people will be sent to the scrap heap.

DS

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
I think there are a lot of people seriously over-estimating what is possible in terms of working out what is going on in peoples' minds. We are not even close to understanding how the brain works, so far away it is not funny.

The biggest problem I see with AI is that it could take jobs away without reducing working hours. Let's face it, if AI replaces lots of jobs we should all be working maybe 20 hours a week and certainly not 5 days a week. But that's just not how this system works, it will shove people out of jobs, profits will rise, and people will be sent to the scrap heap.

DS
I'd suggest have a listen. This stuff is going to develop exponentially.

Everyone having a personal computer in their pocket that is also a camera, map, social connectivity device etc. has happened in a couple of decades. Doubt anyone could have predicted 20 years ago what we see now with how pervasive that is in our lives and how it influences what we do.

With regards to job loss - It's a debate that's occurred throughout history as technology has evolved. The luddites a classic one who railed against mechanised looms and knitting frames putting skilled artisans who spent their life learning their craft out of work. No phone operators any more to connect our calls, or accountants doing spreadsheets manually with pencil and paper.

So far more jobs have been generated to replace the jobs that have gone but who can say if history will repeat or not.

Often when stuff gets cheap, we get more of it (spreadsheets is a good example) where the amount of accountants needed to do a spreadsheet went down massively, but the amount of questions that could now be asked inexpensively went up exponentially - leading to more demand for analytical work. (and lots of people who have since learnt how to use Excel!)

That doesn't mean for those impacted it isn't a massively negative life changing event.

Writers striking now because of this threat to their livelihood. Who would have thought a computer could write a TV script with just some human direction a decade ago?

The 'dumb AI / algorithm' of tik-tok has already lead to teenagers committing suicide and changed their brains by learning what keeps our attention on the screen and we can think of plenty of examples where it has been successfully used to spread false information.

Why is it so strange to think that in 20 years or maybe even less AI could know our emotions and maybe even visualise what we are thinking via a device plugged into our ear to listen to music? (especially when a company or government can get profits/power from that). After all our brain has these signal going around already - just in a way that is very personal.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Technology and the impression of intelligence from computers is expanding very quickly. It is the higher level intelligence which computers are not even close to. Granted, most of the things we all do a vast majority of the time do not require higher level intelligence but it remains the case that computers cannot understand and that limits what they can do.

As for understanding how the brain works and being able to work out what someone is thinking, even exponential advances from where we are now will not get anywhere near this. We have little understanding of how the brain works, we're miles away from being able to work out what someone is thinking.

With AI taking over quite a few jobs we have a choice - we can reduce our workloads or we can throw some people on the scrap heap and work out ways to make the rest of the population work a lot harder. The latter is the most likely as that is what we have been doing for thousands of years. We work a lot more hours than people did in hunter gatherer societies or in agricultural societies. Yes, we get more toys and a better standard of living in a material sense. But we work harder and longer than any society before.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
While LLMs, ML, AI is the current hot topic, for me the biggest game changer to come is quantum computers. There are a couple around with more people getting into the game. Ridiculous increase in processing power. Curent RSA Encryption can be broken in a matter of minutes. What's holding us back is that we're still trying to understand what these beasts can do. We're throwing existing algorithms at them, which do they a lot quicker, but we're not close to fully utilising what these machines can do.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
While LLMs, ML, AI is the current hot topic, for me the biggest game changer to come is quantum computers. There are a couple around with more people getting into the game. Ridiculous increase in processing power. Current RSA Encryption can be broken in a matter of minutes. What's holding us back is that we're still trying to understand what these beasts can do. We're throwing existing algorithms at them, which do they a lot quicker, but we're not close to fully utilising what these machines can do.

Are they stable, can they be built to scale? The impression I got was that we are a little way off making good quantum computers which can be used in normal everyday situations (at work, as a laptop etc) but this technology is likely to mature in maybe 10 years.

You are right about the potential, massive.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Are they stable, can they be built to scale? The impression I got was that we are a little way off making good quantum computers which can be used in normal everyday situations (at work, as a laptop etc) but this technology is likely to mature in maybe 10 years.

You are right about the potential, massive.

DS

Not yet. But it wont be long

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Keeping up with the changing world increases ones awareness of the modern trend of the English language. Today came across two words that intrigued me Plutofascist & Ecosexual. On googling them Plutofascist was understanding but Ecosexual bounced up that a woman in the UK decribed herself as Eco sexual as she is in love & has sex with an oak tree. I hope it is only a woke thingo & not endemic to us lay lot.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Keeping up with the changing world increases ones awareness of the modern trend of the English language. Today came across two words that intrigued me Plutofascist & Ecosexual. On googling them Plutofascist was understanding but Ecosexual bounced up that a woman in the UK decribed herself as Eco sexual as she is in love & has sex with an oak tree. I hope it is only a woke thingo & not endemic to us lay lot.
Still pushing your RWNJ agendas hey, and now a post that has nothing to do with AI in the AI thread.

Get over it...

Reactions: 1 users