Artificial Intelligence | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Artificial Intelligence

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I discovered one of the models I oggle on Insta is an AI. There's even the AI version of Only Fans for AI called Fanvue. Development in AI is exponential.

Last edited:

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Admittedly, I'm old n to a large degree a luddite when it comes to all this computer technology. But from the insignificant scrap of knowledge n understanding I have of this crap, Artificial Intelligence is probably one of the biggest misnomers I've heard of.
From what I've seen there's not really a scrap of intelligence involved, it's simply the capacity of a computer to analyse massive amounts of data, extremely rapidly and then produce the most generically acceptable result of all of the collective information pumped into it.
There's no intuition, imagination or leap of faith / gut feel guesstimate n premonition that humans have worked with for thousands of years. Just reading and analysing of massive amounts of previously fed in information to arrive at the most likely or possible scenario.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Admittedly, I'm old n to a large degree a luddite when it comes to all this computer technology. But from the insignificant scrap of knowledge n understanding I have of this crap, Artificial Intelligence is probably one of the biggest misnomers I've heard of.
From what I've seen there's not really a scrap of intelligence involved, it's simply the capacity of a computer to analyse massive amounts of data, extremely rapidly and then produce the most generically acceptable result of all of the collective information pumped into it.
There's no intuition, imagination or leap of faith / gut feel guesstimate n premonition that humans have worked with for thousands of years. Just reading and analysing of massive amounts of previously fed in information to arrive at the most likely or possible scenario.
Next time I come across one I will swear something abusive just to see the reactions....if any.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
I discovered one of the models I oggle on Insta is AI. There's even the AI version of Fans Only for AI called Fanvue. Development in AI is exponential.

Ooooh, that be painful. At least if you was at a Goldfingers or somewhere similar they'd be real live flesh n blood instead of a chat bot.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Next time I come across one I will swear something abusive just to see the reactions....if any.
It's a computer Forceful one. Guarantee it'll be able to swear back at you in a hundred different languages and use terminology you never even knew existed.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Received a email from CBA Netbank on Monday 08 January 2024 & dated Thursday 11 January 2024. A prompt finger on the bucket tab was actioned.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

But then what is intuition / gut feel if not something that develops with experience. AI/ML/LLM gather that "experience" by being able to analyse and understand all the information we have on something and then make that call.

This evolution (AI, LLM, ChatGPT etc) is as significant as the personal computer was in the 80s. It blows the introduction of the internet to the masses out of the water when it comes to the impact it will have in everyone everyday life.

Second scariest part is that we've invented/developed something that we still don't know what it is capable of. Scariest part is when these LLMs are specifically developed and used to do harm, rather than good.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
But then what is intuition / gut feel if not something that develops with experience. AI/ML/LLM gather that "experience" by being able to analyse and understand all the information we have on something and then make that call.

This evolution (AI, LLM, ChatGPT etc) is as significant as the personal computer was in the 80s. It blows the introduction of the internet to the masses out of the water when it comes to the impact it will have in everyone everyday life.

Second scariest part is that we've invented/developed something that we still don't know what it is capable of. Scariest part is when these LLMs are specifically developed and used to do harm, rather than good.
Even scarier will be the fact that humans are to stupid to be able to tell when what they've invented is real or fake. Deep enough in *smile* now with almost all the worlds knowledge and information accessible to the random private and Govt hacking techies. Gunna be hell to pay before long.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Hmm, disagree. I remember hearing the Infinite Monkey Cage talking about AI at one point and they posited the notion of AI inventing flying before planes were invented. They would design something with flapping wings because that is the only idea to base it on, In contrast humans analysed aerodynamics and came up with the idea of a static wing with lift. It is the inventiveness that AI lacks along with reasoning skills.

In terms of impact, nothing even comes close to moveable type - not the computer (possible one day but not yet), not the internet, not anything. Literacy levels jump from maybe 10% to well over 90% in wealthier countries. Access to information and knowledge spreads exponentially. The advent of printed, and affordable, books, newspapers, magazines etc completely changed the world. We would be nowhere near where we are now without moveable type. Truly revolutionary technology, so revolutionary we just take it for grants now. We have recency bias on these things, another example is the radio - still the fastest media in the world.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Hmm, disagree. I remember hearing the Infinite Monkey Cage talking about AI at one point and they posited the notion of AI inventing flying before planes were invented. They would design something with flapping wings because that is the only idea to base it on, In contrast humans analysed aerodynamics and came up with the idea of a static wing with lift. It is the inventiveness that AI lacks along with reasoning skills.

DS
Yep. Humans imagined old mate Icarus flapping his wings n getting to close to the sun way before they imagined computers. Wasn't there also one of the great artists that did a lot of speculative design sketches around wings and aerodynamics for humans flying as well a few hundred years ago?

AI can compute and analyse massive amounts of existing data to come up with a range of the most suitable or acceptable outcomes, but can it imagine then speculate possibilities.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

DS
Reasoning skills pretty thin on the ground everywhere.

• Haha

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005

In terms of impact, nothing even comes close to moveable type - not the computer (possible one day but not yet), not the internet, not anything. Literacy levels jump from maybe 10% to well over 90% in wealthier countries. Access to information and knowledge spreads exponentially. The advent of printed, and affordable, books, newspapers, magazines etc completely changed the world. We would be nowhere near where we are now without moveable type. Truly revolutionary technology, so revolutionary we just take it for grants now. We have recency bias on these things, another example is the radio - still the fastest media in the world.

DS

Where I work, a fairly large MNC, we dived in head first as soon as this latest evolution of AI started appearing. We've been working with the ChatGPT guys a couple of years before they went public with their chatbot. What's being discovered is pretty mind blowing. What it can do is equally mind blowing. The downside is that we're already seeing decent streamlining in staffing as the LLM algos are producing stuff in a fraction of the time it used too.

I am not sure AI can invent anything new as it doesn't have that type of ability (yet). But if you are trying to invent something, or find a solution, it will shift through all data available, find trends, patterns, etc that will allow the inventor to very quickly narrow down their focus to what's realistic.

Copilot from Microsoft is making it's way to the masses via their Office 365 software. The ability to auto-generate meeting notes, meeting minutes, capture actions required, suggest follow-up questions, even sense the mood of the meeting to the point it will tell you who it thinks was positive or negative was mind blowing at first. Now it's a regular part of my day. I can skip a meeting then ask Copilot to summarise it, give me the main points and tell me if there was anything I needed to do. Copilot can easily read an email thread, or multiple threads, and summarise a reply with whatever points you want to make or add. *smile*, I can even tell Copilot to create a Powerpoint deck on a topic and it can search through all my documents (email, docs, PPTs, Excel sheets etc) and create a decent first draft.

That's only a fraction of what's available and it can do.

Much like the PC revolutionised knowledge workers (think of what the spreadsheet did for accountants), what's happening now is going to be as big a change, if not bigger, to civilisation.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
You can see now that deepfake video will be used to spread misinformation and further undermine the credibility of any and all media (designed to tar the good reporting with the same brush as the Fox liars). The fascists will be over the moon with the ability to put words in their targets' mouths.

Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Where I work, a fairly large MNC, we dived in head first as soon as this latest evolution of AI started appearing. We've been working with the ChatGPT guys a couple of years before they went public with their chatbot. What's being discovered is pretty mind blowing. What it can do is equally mind blowing. The downside is that we're already seeing decent streamlining in staffing as the LLM algos are producing stuff in a fraction of the time it used too.

I am not sure AI can invent anything new as it doesn't have that type of ability (yet). But if you are trying to invent something, or find a solution, it will shift through all data available, find trends, patterns, etc that will allow the inventor to very quickly narrow down their focus to what's realistic.

Copilot from Microsoft is making it's way to the masses via their Office 365 software. The ability to auto-generate meeting notes, meeting minutes, capture actions required, suggest follow-up questions, even sense the mood of the meeting to the point it will tell you who it thinks was positive or negative was mind blowing at first. Now it's a regular part of my day. I can skip a meeting then ask Copilot to summarise it, give me the main points and tell me if there was anything I needed to do. Copilot can easily read an email thread, or multiple threads, and summarise a reply with whatever points you want to make or add. *smile*, I can even tell Copilot to create a Powerpoint deck on a topic and it can search through all my documents (email, docs, PPTs, Excel sheets etc) and create a decent first draft.

That's only a fraction of what's available and it can do.

Much like the PC revolutionised knowledge workers (think of what the spreadsheet did for accountants), what's happening now is going to be as big a change, if not bigger, to civilisation.

Don't disagree, AI can do amazing things and a hell of a lot of what we all do, not just at work, does not require invention, original thought or deduction. I spend a lot of time at work fixing problems (hey, I deal with students, they are so good at creating problems), and a lot of colleagues appreciate my ability to sort issues - the reality is that when you do it every day it becomes very easy and the solutions are not very inventive really. AI could do it, good thing I'm taking a redundancy.

There are a lot of jobs, lawyer comes to mind, that AI can do a lot of. My biggest concern is that the benefits will be to profit margins and not to allowing people to spend less time at work. We, as a society, work a lot more hours than earlier societies did, this is an opportunity to change that, an opportunity unlikely to be taken.

DS

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Well what do ya know. Humans have figured out just another way to *smile* one another over n ruin lives. Yay for us.

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Race to the bottom. Truly scary stuff how this stuff is going to be (and already being) used

No idea how you stop this, not sure it is possible. What a world we live in.

One comment I heard recently, there are a lot of things AI can do, the one thing it can't do is shop.

The point being that AI can produce all sorts of goods and services without the need for humans. But if humans are not earning an income, there will be no-one to purchase the goods and services so no point in creating the goods and providing the services. The economy is demand driven, demand requires income. The idea that we can throw lots of people on the scrap heap out of a job is an idea that will collapse a capitalist economy.

DS

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The Sora ChatGPT generated videos that are starting to appear are both amazing and terrifying at the same time. Biggest risk we're facing is that unless something is agreed and implemented, we'll never know what is real vs what is AI generated.

Scariest thought, AI generated content will never be as bad and detectable as it is today.

here's a snapshot of Sora generated videos