Assistant Coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coaches

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not sure why exactly, however even though Newy has done well coaching on his own and has worked with Clarkson, I’m not overly keen to get him back to Punt rd , it may just be that he was part of a poor time with us, however I’d rather stick with what we have

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
Absolutely rapt if this is true. No coincidence that our emergence came with the arrival of Caracella and Leppa. Happy to give Dimma the kudos but just like the game it is a team effort and all the coaching panel should be applauded and hopefully if these two are going to re-sign also rewarded.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Inspector said:
Heard Mitchell to the Saints

Better off going to another club.
Too familiar going back to the Hawks, he’ll up like Buckley and learn nothing.

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011
Where is LeppaCella announcements, this worries me, I think they are gone.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
TheCan said:
Where is LeppaCella announcements, this worries me, I think they are gone.
They had to be notified a couple of weeks ago if they were no longer required. Reckon the media would have been yammering if we'd let a couple of assistants go. More than likely they're just fine tuning details before announcing extensions, unless of course they've been offered bigger jobs to consider elsewhere. In which case it would be their choice to take an opportunity.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Just said on Footy Classified that Rutten is going to leave and join Essendon to work with Worsfold.
Disappointing if true, particularly at rd 22.

RFC56

@alanrfc56
Jun 19, 2004
Richmond VIC
The_General said:
Just said on Footy Classified that Rutten is going to leave and join Essendon to work with Worsfold.
The price you pay for being successful, other clubs headhunt your staff. Don't want to lose him, but I'd rather keep Leppa and Caracella.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Maybe if we lose him, we get Sam Mitchell as an assistant?

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
The_General said:

Could only be the money they have dangled in front of him, surely.
Why would you leave the Tigers to join Essendon?
And don't give me that nonsense about being a "challenge".

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
They said that if you're an assistant and haven't been re-signed by August 1, to start looking.

Maybe we have someone else in mind?

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Disappointing, but not a major loss.
Game will be changing a bit next year so will our game plan.
He can tell Essendrugs all about our game plan, but it will be sorely out of date with these new rule changes.

Can’t see essendrugs taking on our mindfulness. Too arrogant to understand it.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
with success comes the talent retention challenge - from our marketing (didn't we loose our membership lead to Carlton last year), talent scouts, coaches and players who cant get a senior game. Its a sign of success unseen at Punt Road for the best part of 40 years!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I'd say it's a fair loss. Rutten well regarded and he has played his role in developing a pretty good defence last 24 months.

We always have Leppa and Ferguson sounds like he is switched on.

Need to replace with someone with similar skill sets.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
The_General said:

IMO this is a reasonable move from our POV.
Rutten has been there since 2014. We've probably got as much as we can from his input to our IP. New blood may be a good thing.
The backline is now pretty set and all the players have taken on more responsibility, particularly how newer members are integrated into the system.
(It was interesting that Judd talked last night about how Richmond set up their extra defender deeper than others and this allows them more intercept marking behind the forwards.)

Interesting though is the replacement.
Does Leppa move back to coaching the backline?
If so, who gets the forwards?
Does Clarke deserve a promotion and, if so, does he go to the backline or the forwards?
I personally would like someone like Michael O'Loughlan to come in as the forwards coach, bearing in mind that our forward line may well be very different next year with the addition of Lynch.
There is also a strong possibility that Balta and CCJ may also get a senior gig up forward. Again, pushing a total revamp away from our existing single forward or "midget" forward line.

I will trust in Balme.