Assistant Coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coaches

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Sounds like Voss is getting the job, good news for us but not for Kingsley . With Teaguey coming in , is that enough new ideas or would another great mind be helpful? Very important that they all gel no matter how good they are individually

Reactions: 1 user

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
John Barker quit the Blues. He was well regarded in many circles. Maybe he would be interested?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Talk of McQualter off to Blues as an assistant so may need to replace him plus any additions.
there is no shortage of coaches out there so won’t be a problem filling those positions.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Sounds like Voss is getting the job, good news for us but not for Kingsley . With Teaguey coming in , is that enough new ideas or would another great mind be helpful? Very important that they all gel no matter how good they are individually
Assuming Kingsley stays, I reckon we could do with at least one more assistant coach with a good pedigree to join Teague. Last season it was clear we had coaching problems

Reactions: 1 users

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I reckon mcqualter will take the offer up elsewhere so that means one more

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Talk of McQualter off to Blues as an assistant so may need to replace him plus any additions.
there is no shortage of coaches out there so won’t be a problem filling those positions.
Clarko just to take the *smile* out of everyone.

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
great looking panel hawthorn have assembled.
Have a feeling Sam Mitchell will be the real deal coach. Smart guy.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
How do come to that conclusion?
$50 bucks bottom 4 next year
I never bet Zippadeedoodah.

Happy for you or me to bump this thread next Aug/Sept. May not make the 8 but think they will be a super improved team under 'Mitch'.

My brother in law is a Hawks supporter so we follow each other's teams. I've heard some of Sam's podcasts to HFC members, his thoughts on team structure, drafting and player d/ment which I find interesting. I rate him. In a way, he is a bit of a quiet assassin who dethroned Clarko.
The only doubt I have is, whilst he is super smart, he also seems cold too. So will players love him like players say they've 'loved' Lethal or Mick Malthouse or Clarko. Will they run through a brick wall for him? We will see. I reckon he will be an elite coach.

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
I mentioned a year or so back about my concern with Fly and Leppa going about Development, with Dimma/Kingsley/Teague and our current draft hand i would love a gun development coach to be added.

As much as i thank Rutten, Blake, Leppa & Fly for their service, i really think the Development which fly especially and the other coaches to a lesser extent played their parts, in 2020 i believe approx. 10 of our starting 22 came from Rookies or similar, amazing stat.. We must get our development sorted again after losing so many quality coaches!

Reactions: 4 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I mentioned a year or so back about my concern with Fly and Leppa going about Development, with Dimma/Kingsley/Teague and our current draft hand i would love a gun development coach to be added.

As much as i thank Rutten, Blake, Leppa & Fly for their service, i really think the Development which fly especially and the other coaches to a lesser extent played their parts, in 2020 i believe approx. 10 of our starting 22 came from Rookies or similar, amazing stat.. We must get our development sorted again after losing so many quality coaches!
X is our current development coach

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Matthew Scarlett just resigned from Geelong, complete overhaul down there or maybe they are just imploding.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Matthew Scarlett just resigned from Geelong, complete overhaul down there or maybe they are just imploding.
A reset at the cattery following our 2016 approach and the pies with Bucks.
Keep the head coach and bring in new assistant coaches for new voices and ideas

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
On Scarlett I have no idea if he is a good coach. To me though the question is more is he the type of assistant coach we need.

No doubt he helped set-up an impressive defensive unit who are well structured.
Typically a very good shut down defence with a great structure and team play.

We have that and hopefully we can maintain it as the older guys depart.
What is crucial is the run and attack from the backline, something that Scarlett didn't oversee at Geelong.
He is probably a better fit for a younger team struggling with defensive strategies eg gold coast / blues

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
On Scarlett I have no idea if he is a good coach. To me though the question is more is he the type of assistant coach we need.

No doubt he helped set-up an impressive defensive unit who are well structured.
Typically a very good shut down defence with a great structure and team play.

We have that and hopefully we can maintain it as the older guys depart.
What is crucial is the run and attack from the backline, something that Scarlett didn't oversee at Geelong.
He is probably a better fit for a younger team struggling with defensive strategies eg gold coast / blues

I'd be happy for Scarlett to come to Richmond but surely he goes to Carlton with Cooke although he says he is taking a break.

Reactions: 2 users

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
So Vossy got the Titanic gig! :))

Assume Kingsley stays.
Are we looking for one more Asst?