Assistant Coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coaches

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I'd be happy for Scarlett to come to Richmond but surely he goes to Carlton with Cooke although he says he is taking a break.
dont think he will suit our culture to be honest.

Its quite the coaching merry go round this year, the movement of assistants is fierce. Wonder who's left for us to pick up. And with Carlton needing assistants (and now Port and Geesook) and prepared to pay more $ given Voss wont be at Tier 1 level of Head Coach $salary, hopefully our better coaches are locked away.

Anyone else think that apart from Cooky's performance this arvo, both Sayers and Voss were cringe worthy?
As an RFC supporter, I feel better having just heard their presser. Not so worried about the Blooze finally getting their act together and giving the Top echelon a shake.

Mitchell and McCrae by a country mile will be good. Vossy dont know, cant see it myself.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
dont think he will suit our culture to be honest.

Its quite the coaching merry go round this year, the movement of assistants is fierce. Wonder who's left for us to pick up. And with Carlton needing assistants (and now Port and Geesook) and prepared to pay more $ given Voss wont be at Tier 1 level of Head Coach $salary, hopefully our better coaches are locked away.

Anyone else think that apart from Cooky's performance this arvo, both Sayers and Voss were cringe worthy?
As an RFC supporter, I feel better having just heard their presser. Not so worried about the Blooze finally getting their act together and giving the Top echelon a shake.

Mitchell and McCrae by a country mile will be good. Vossy dont know, cant see it myself.
You just never know , bet you would have tipped vossy to be good at his bris stint . Albeit Was inexperienced and we re less likely see those appointments these days hindsight is always a wonderful thing

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
You just never know , bet you would have tipped vossy to be good at his bris stint . Albeit Was inexperienced and we re less likely see those appointments these days hindsight is always a wonderful thing
you are right, never know.
I didnt really form an opinion back 10-12 years ago when he had the Lions gig. Wasnt working in Australia, was o/s for work and hadnt looked into it enough. so this isnt hindsight speaking, i'm actually more about today and the next 2-3 years of his tenure.
The CFC and Vossy today, I just dont see what I see in Mitchell and McCrae. I havent been that impressed with Vossy the last few years at Port anyway. .
As you say, never know

Reactions: 1 user

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
great looking panel hawthorn have assembled.
Have a feeling Sam Mitchell will be the real deal coach. Smart guy.
Funny you say that. Had a good mate who is a long time hard core hawks supporter text me today saying with Harvey as midfield coach his team is going backwards!

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Geelong targeting Ashley Hansen from the Bulldogs - that's a good target I reckon.
Been with Bevo a long time, forward coach, was there for the 2016 flag.
I'd be rapt with him at the Tigers but obviously not to be.

Bulldogs losing 2 good long time assistants - King and Hansen.
Sure is a lot of assistants moving around.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Geelong targeting Ashley Hansen from the Bulldogs - that's a good target I reckon.
Been with Bevo a long time, forward coach, was there for the 2016 flag.
I'd be rapt with him at the Tigers but obviously not to be.

Bulldogs losing 2 good long time assistants - King and Hansen.
Sure is a lot of assistants moving around.
Brain Royal still there?

• Haha

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I'm always fascinated in how people form opinions about assistant coaches.

Senior coaches, footy managers, list managers all operate in a somewhat visible sphere to the footy punter, but I suspect most of us have no idea what any assistant coach is doing most of the time.

How could anyone have any idea if John Barker is good at his job or not?
He has been there for 15 years through a period of sustained failure. Hard to know but not an ideal entry on the resume.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014

Senior coaches, footy managers, list managers all operate in a somewhat visible sphere to the footy punter, but I suspect most of us have no idea what any assistant coach is doing most of the time.

Because he's been moved across a variety of roles at the same club, and performance has been substandard.

As an aside, you really seem to push this idea that because the majority of us haven't been as fortunate as you have to to work in football clubs' inner sanctums we are not qualified to comment on something, which is ridiculous. By that logic, no one should ever comment on politicians' performances because we are not privy to how they work with their advisors and in cabinet or committee meetings.

Just because we're not inside the tent, does not mean we cannot comment on someone's competence. The ultimate measure of whether someone is any good as football coach is shown every week during the season on the field and Barker has shown very little.

Reactions: 7 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Because he's been moved across a variety of roles at the same club, and performance has been substandard.

As an aside, you really seem to push this idea that because the majority of us haven't been as fortunate as you have to to work in football clubs' inner sanctums we are not qualified to comment on something, which is ridiculous. By that logic, no one should ever comment on politicians' performances because we are not privy to how they work with their advisors and in cabinet or committee meetings.

Just because we're not inside the tent, does not mean we cannot comment on someone's competence. The ultimate measure of whether someone is any good as football coach is shown every week during the season on the field and Barker has shown very little.
Yeah give it to him.
He thinks he is Ronald Dale Barassi.
*smile* John barker massive dud

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne

prob because most dimwits form a view that coz an assistant was a pretty good player say like lenny hayes , he must be a fundamentally better asst coach than say Mcqulater or kingsley,,,ridiculous and frustrating to read

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Yeah. There are also people in coaching who are way better as assistants than they are as head coach or will ever be. That’s hardly surprising as it happens in all walks of life, there are people who are good at leading and there are those who are not.

I would have thought our track record on assistants in recent times has been pretty good if you consider how many of them have been poached to work somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014

Such a patronising post. Shouldn't surprise really.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I heard the rumour about FIGJAM to Richmond, let’s see if it has legs.

Don’t particularly like Bucks, but if he could take charge of the midfield I won’t pretend it isn’t exciting.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

Don’t particularly like Bucks, but if he could take charge of the midfield I won’t pretend it isn’t exciting.
Interesting. I have felt for a while something might be brewing for Figgy as i was expecting him to land in the media and he hasn't so far.
Can't see him walking away from footy and it is hard to see him ever getting another senior coaching gig

TheCan

Tiger Superstar
Jul 17, 2011

FigJam running our midfield, teague our forwards, kingsley defence?