Assistant Coaches | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Assistant Coaches

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Never seen such a huge turnover of coaches. A reflection of difficult times.

Very true. For most, there’s been a decrease in both quality of life and pay.

Double whammy.

I'm always fascinated in how people form opinions about assistant coaches.

Senior coaches, footy managers, list managers all operate in a somewhat visible sphere to the footy punter, but I suspect most of us have no idea what any assistant coach is doing most of the time.

How could anyone have any idea if John Barker is good at his job or not?

Because he didn’t start a revolution from within leading to premierships. That means he can’t coach, surely you know that!

Btw, I read the AFL website article and I was shocked by, to put it bluntly, how stupid the outgoing Carlton president exposed himself to be.

Carlton are truly going nowhere over the coming years, and that has nothing to do with an assistant coach.

Reactions: 1 user

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Buckley... he’s an interesting one.

He’s not of the Chris Scott over-rational shallow relationship computing faux genius nature, as he’s shown a willingness to embrace the emotional side of the art of coaching after he saw Dimma’s success (and Buckley did this immediately after 2017, unlike other coaches).

I respect him for recognising our cultural changes immediately and attempting to implement them himself. It cost us.

But the concern is how boring he is, and whether he’s the right kind of smart for us.

For example: Dimma uses simple language. He doesn’t care if he sounds simple. He’s not trying to impress anyone. Dimma’s word choice is not motivated by a desire to convince the media he’s a good coach.

Buckley doesn’t get that.

He tries to sound smart by using longer words that he barely understands.

That’s dumb.

Buckley sounds fine when he’s focused on football details, and seems smart in a high-IQ / spatial awareness kind of way, but what about his relationships? His values? philosophy?

Maybe he’s a physicist who can do equations and experiments, but is he also a teacher?

So for mine, his potential value hinges on him being humble enough to listen, learn, and follow Dimma’s wisdom.

He hasn’t previously shown those traits. Under Malthouse, he had the president‘s ear to obtain the top spot in messy circumstances.

So he’s never demonstrated coaching success, never been an honest assistant, and isn’t that bright when it comes to teaching. And yet, he still seems like he’d be a great acquisition.

Buckley... he’s an interesting one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Hey @tigertim you seem to have access to the H/S online articles, are you able to shed some light on what Adam Kingsley is doing?

Tigers eye draft coup, Kingsley future decided

Richmond is poised to make a play for one of the draft’s best midfield prospects as it eyes a top-five pick. Meanwhile, Adam Kingsley’s future has been sorted.

There is more to this story​

But it’s a member-only story.​

eastlavy

Tiger Cub
Nov 29, 2008
Excerpt from article:
Richmond assistant Adam Kingsley wants to chase another premiership with the Tigers next year as they look to take their strongest hand in a decade to this year’s draft.
Kingsley came second to Michael Voss in the race for Carlton’s senior coaching job and declined an opportunity to join the Blues’ assistant coaching ranks.

Instead, he is locked in for another year at Richmond alongside former Carlton senior coach David Teague as the Tigers try to relaunch at the top-four again next season.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Excerpt from article:
Richmond assistant Adam Kingsley wants to chase another premiership with the Tigers next year as they look to take their strongest hand in a decade to this year’s draft.
Kingsley came second to Michael Voss in the race for Carlton’s senior coaching job and declined an opportunity to join the Blues’ assistant coaching ranks.

Instead, he is locked in for another year at Richmond alongside former Carlton senior coach David Teague as the Tigers try to relaunch at the top-four again next season.

A bit cheeky from the Blues to overlook Kingsley for main job and then offer him a consolation prize.

• Love
  • Angry
Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Good interview with Kingsley on SEN this morning below is what he said the coaching structure will be:
Also said losing both CJ & Mabs leaves the list a bit unbalanced, (probably meaning depth), given Riewoldt's age.

Kingsley : Defense
Teague : Offense
McQualter : Stoppage
X Clarke : Forward
Lonegran : Head of Development

Morris : VFL Coach

Reactions: 4 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Good interview with Kingsley on SEN this morning below is what he said the coaching structure will be:
Also said losing both CJ & Mabs leaves the list a bit unbalanced, (probably meaning depth), given Riewoldt's age.

Impressive interview. He'll get an opportunity at some stage - perhaps even with us.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria

What’s Maric’s role at the club? Does he have any official capacity?

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
And Mids coach?
If there's one area we need to fix this is it.
We have been abominable in this area.
Worst in the comp.
You can't always start your attacks from D50.
And that's if the oppo misses the goal.
We saw with (No Longer) Rabblebourne how easily u can torch a side if u get this right.
They basically put Zimmer Frames Central and Foot Astray to the sword in a 10-15 minute spell.
Needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
And Mids coach?
If there's one area we need to fix this is it.
We have been abominable in this area.
Worst in the comp.
You can't always start your attacks from D50.
And that's if the oppo misses the goal.
We saw with (No Longer) Rabblebourne how easily u can torch a side if u get this right.
They basically put Zimmer Frames Central and Foot Astray to the sword in a 10-15 minute spell.
Needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.
Getting Soldo back will help immensely

Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Getting Soldo back will help immensely

plus I think The Dees blueprint of rotating 2 genuine ruck men through Full Forward,

which is pretty much the opposite of the midget piñata,

will be adopted.

If NOldo can kick 30-40 goals (JacksAwn kicked 32),

we improve stoppages and i50 efficiency in one fowl sweep

• Love

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
More Assistants on the move.
Tim Clarke heads back to Carlton, Brad Miller joins Gold Coast, and Craig Jennings has been hired by GWS.

Craig Jennings, Mr Strategy. Me. Me. Me.

Anyone ever hear him on Crunchtime - gee whiz, you'd have thought he coached as many flags as Clarko the way he went on. And on. And on...........................

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users