Australia Day 26 January | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day 26 January

Not confirmed, but I saw a headline that said Dutton wants a boycott of Woolworths because of the Aus Day merch beatup. Is this fair dinkum? Seems OTT even for Dutton. Very Trump. Bit of a worry.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, its just *smile* ridiculous that the major opposition party in this country is trying to make an issue of a supermarket choosing not to sell cheap arse thongs and stubby holders made overseas.

Jacinta Price is trying to get her face on TV again by getting involved.

Seriously if this is an issue that people are focussing on, Australia must truly be the greatest country in the world- credit must go to Albanese and his government for making it so.

Yeah, just a complete wind up.

Apparently Woolworths are no longer selling Invasion Day tack because it just isn't very profitable, but of course there will always be those who decide they can muster up some faux outrage in a pathetic attempt to cause division and sway votes . . . and some who are gullible enough to fall for it.

DS

Yeah, just a complete wind up.

Apparently Woolworths are no longer selling Invasion Day tack because it just isn't very profitable, but of course there will always be those who decide they can muster up some faux outrage in a pathetic attempt to cause division and sway votes . . . and some who are gullible enough to fall for it.

DS
Calling it Invasion Day and posting about faux outrage in the same post, l love it 😆😆😆.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Calling it Invasion Day and posting about faux outrage in the same post, l love it 😆😆😆.
It's factually the day Australia was invaded, is it not?

It's such a weird date to choose to celebrate Australian culture. I get when white Australia says 'I didn't invade or kill anyone, it wasn't me who committed genocide, I shouldn't feel guilty about anything, it's all way in the past.' Even though I don't think it's that simple, I understand the feeling.

But it seems so backwards to then say '... But we should have a party to celebrate it though.'

It just seems crazy that of all the great things we could choose to celebrate about Australia, we chose the day that hostile colonialists set up a convict settlement to officially begin their invasion of the land. Whether or not you feel that you want to associate yourself with those hostile British forces, you can't argue that's what they were.

Unless, of course, you believe that First Nations people aren't people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I think that we can all agree that the most appropriate date is my birthday.

Ausford Day, October 7th. Free beer for everyone.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
We have lost that pride because times have changed and we refuse to acknowledge reality and change with it. You think ignoring reality and sweeping critical issues under the carpet will restore the chesty bonds aussie image? Good luck.

More division? based on what? The Murdoch Press and Sky News whose interests are served by exaggerating and promoting division? The numbers don't lie, Aboriginal people wanted the Voice.

And that is not common sense, it is one nation ignorance. Common sense is to address the reasons why Aboriginal people are far worse off than white Australians.
Yeh, achilles claiming he wants to help (like many others claim to want to help) and then ignores the voice of the very people he claims to want to help?

I don't feel guilt for what happened when I was not alive. But I recognise it was wrong and has been instrumental in creating the massive disdavantages we see between indigenous and non-indigenous. So my choice now is to do what I can and support initiatives to reduce that gap. Which involves listening to indigenous.

To me accepting changes like welcome to country ceremonies is just one small part of bridging the gap. It is acknowledging the traditonal owners link to the land. It is recognising indigenous people. Not long ago they were not recognised at all.

None of it threatens the way I live my life. Surely having a greater understanding of the worlds oldest culture can only enhance it?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Your differently spelled namesake routinely posts objectively racist posts, then does the old 'how dare you call me racist'. The bigger racist you are, the louder you scream when called out. If I've learnt one thing in life, that is it.
Ignore is your friend.

• Haha

It's such a weird date to choose to celebrate Australian culture. I get when white Australia says 'I didn't invade or kill anyone, it wasn't me who committed genocide, I shouldn't feel guilty about anything, it's all way in the past.' Even though I don't think it's that simple, I understand the feeling.

But it seems so backwards to then say '... But we should have a party to celebrate it though.'

It just seems crazy that of all the great things we could choose to celebrate about Australia, we chose the day that hostile colonialists set up a convict settlement to officially begin their invasion of the land. Whether or not you feel that you want to associate yourself with those hostile British forces, you can't argue that's what they were.

LoL.

Good reply until the last line, feel free to show me anywhere that l have said one bad thing about even one Indigenous Australian.

Good reply until the last line, feel free to show me anywhere that l have said one bad thing about even one Indigenous Australian.

I never said you did.

But if you consider our first nations people to be first nations people, then January 26 1788 marks an invasion.

Yeh, achilles claiming he wants to help (like many others claim to want to help) and then ignores the voice of the very people he claims to want to help?

I don't feel guilt for what happened when I was not alive. But I recognise it was wrong and has been instrumental in creating the massive disdavantages we see between indigenous and non-indigenous. So my choice now is to do what I can and support initiatives to reduce that gap. Which involves listening to indigenous.

To me accepting changes like welcome to country ceremonies is just one small part of bridging the gap. It is acknowledging the traditonal owners link to the land. It is recognising indigenous people. Not long ago they were not recognised at all.

None of it threatens the way I live my life. Surely having a greater understanding of the worlds oldest culture can only enhance it?
Yes this attitude that somehow doing this is because we should feel guilty is just so nonsensical. Guilt has nothing to do with it.

During the Voice compaign we heard a lot from the LNP about how they supported bridging the gap and the Voice would do nothing to do that …blah blah blah. We are waiting for their constructive suggestions, to show they really care but I think we will be waiting a long long time.

The best they have at the moment is complaints about the lack of thongs and Australian flag themed beach towels. What a joke.

Yes this attitude that somehow doing this is because we should feel guilty is just so nonsensical. Guilt has nothing to do with it.

During the Voice compaign we heard a lot from the LNP about how they supported bridging the gap and the Voice would do nothing to do that …blah blah blah. We are waiting for their constructive suggestions, to show they really care but I think we will be waiting a long long time.

The best they have at the moment is complaints about the lack of thongs and Australian flag themed beach towels. What a joke.
Ah cmon. The suggestion to boycott Woolies was a big statement.

• Haha
Surprised to see the HUN not tow the Dutton line and instead focus a bit on the backlash Dutton received from all and sundry.

Then I relaised that Wollies is probably one of the HUNs biggest advertisers and it made more sense.

But still good to see Dutton get a bit of a slap from the HUN

Reactions: 1 user
Crazy Clarkes or NQR or Reject Shop or whatever cheap variety chain you have will make some good dough putting an Aussie Aussie Aussie! sign out the front and selling polyester bandanas/ bikinis/ beachtowels/ flags etc. That is, the chains you would actually think to shop at first if you are into this kind of stuff will still sell it, and cash in on Dutton's dogwhistling.

Very transparent straw man by Dutton by implying these fine goods will no longer be available for aussies to spend their hard-earned on, and that its outrageous woolies are taking away the right to buy aussie day merch. I can't remember a more flagrant, undignified, cheap move by a leader of a party.

Last edited:
I say again......why celebrate the arrival of the First Fleet.

January 26 is the day people arrived in Australia as convicts, they had been ripped away from their families, and in most cases were never to see them again, for as little as pinching a loaf of bread because they were starving hungry.

Why not celebrate the day we became independent of the United Kingdom.

The "Australia Act" March three 1986 is the day Australia no longer had to abide by the laws of the United Kingdom's courts, or the legislation of the UK's government........just 38 years ago !!!!

March the Third is the day Australia Became A Sovereign And Independent Nation, that is the date that we should celebrate Australia Day on.

Last edited:
Crazy Clarkes or NQR or Reject Shop or whatever cheap variety chain you have will make some good dough putting an Aussie Aussie Aussie! sign out the front and selling polyester bandanas/ bikinis/ beachtowels/ flags etc. That is, the chains you would actually think to shop at first if you are into this kind of stuff will still sell it, and cash in on Dutton's dogwhistling.

Very transparent straw man by Dutton by implying these fine goods will no longer be available for aussies to spend their hard-earned on, and that its outrageous woolies are taking away the right to buy aussie day merch. I can't remember a more flagrant, undignified, cheap move by a leader of a party.
This was a throw away post with a vague inkling, not that its nostradamus rocket surgery or anything, but it has come to pass a few hours later. Just saw a headline 'Reject Shop set to cash-in'. Whats next? Lydia Thorpe leads Reject Shop Boycott? What a load of crap.

Australia Day is celebrated the day western culture was brought to Terra Nullius sic now Australia. Now you have to be grateful for the culture & benefits you enjoy under the Australian Flag. Now if you are not happy with the Australian culture eg celebrating Australia Day ,Anzac Day May Day ,Rainbow Day public holidays , Government benefits , Fosters ,Goonies , etc etc , why not pack up your old kit bag & puss orf then leave us Australians who are happy as a pig in a mud hole to enjoy our National Day.