Australia Day - 26th January? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Australia Day - 26th January?

Should Austrlalia Day be on the 26th of January?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Just answering a few posts here.

The day is not about celebrating colonialism or invasions its about celebrating winning the lottery of life living in Australia. Modern Australia is composed of the original inhabitants and the boat people who came afterwards. That's why it seems appropriate to me to celebrate on Jan 26th.

Maybe we need another national holiday to celebrate our indigenous heritage?

Sin the messages I highlighted are objectively anti-Australian. But tbh its a few days ago and I am over it.
when you refer to the "original inhabitant" do you mean Indigenous Australians or those who arrived on the boat 230 years ago?

Modern Australia is composed of Indigenous Australians, the descendants of those who arrived in 1788 and the following years of mostly English descent, and then the people form all over the world who have been coming ever since.

Modern Australia is made up of many influences, but at present we celebrate Australia Day on a date that cause grief to many. I really dont see how changing the date would adversely effect anyone, but it would benefit some, so why not do it?

Reactions: 4 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Modern Australia is made up of many influences, but at present we celebrate Australia Day on a date that cause grief to many. I really dont see how changing the date would adversely effect anyone, but it would benefit some, so why not do it?
Changing the date is really a one-percenter in the bigger scheme of things. It's a bit like Morrison changing a word in the anthem.

TheyWillNeverBeSatisfied.jpg

It really is on the heads of the aggrieved to nominate a date they would like to celebrate on. Any new date decided upon by the government is going to meet with the same issues.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Changing the date is really a one-percenter in the bigger scheme of things. It's a bit like Morrison changing a word in the anthem.

TheyWillNeverBeSatisfied.jpg

It really is on the heads of the aggrieved to nominate a date they would like to celebrate on. Any new date decided upon by the government is going to meet with the same issues.
I am sure there would be some who would continue to protest, but many would be happy the day no longer commerates the "invasion" that started on Jan 26 1788.
Again for most of those, they would be happy as long as the new date did nor commemorate something similar.

Asking those who oppose celebrating Australia Day on Jan26 is really just a tactic to make any date change more difficult. Firstly it would require a group of people who dont have a 'leadership body' to agree on a date, then it gives those who want the date to remain the chance to oppose the options given.

the first step needs to be to accept why the current date causes grief to many, then to agree to change, then to consult with all sections of community, then for a date to chosen. yes some will still be unhappy, but the majority will be.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sin the messages I highlighted are objectively anti-Australian. But tbh its a few days ago and I am over it.
Fine but Australians having the right and exercising that right to have a view that is different to yours and mine is something I would hope is actually Australian, not anti-Australian
Sometimes I am not very proud of what Australia does and sometimes I am against what our Government does and I express those views. There are things that have happened in our history that make me feel ashamed that they occurred.
But none of that makes me anti Australian because you don’t have to agree with everything we do or everything we stand for to love your country.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
But none of that makes me anti Australian because you don’t have to agree with everything we do or everything we stand for to love your country.
It's the one day out of 365 set aside for people to feel happy about being Australian, but some people want to impose their own misery on the majority. So give us a better date...

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
No, it's about being able to say "This is the day you wanted, so no *smile* protests".
There is no "They" anymore than i would seek to put all those who want to keep oz day on the 26th in the same box as those dickheads chanting in the Grampians.
and yes there are people who will continue to protest, so asking for 100% consensus on a date is just a tactic to oppose a change.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
There is no "They" anymore than i would seek to put all those who want to keep oz day on the 26th in the same box as those dickheads chanting in the Grampians.
and yes there are people who will continue to protest, so asking for 100% consensus on a date is just a tactic to oppose a change.
Just because a minority are protesting is not a reason for change. Democracy doesn't work that way.

Put some effort into it and come back with a proposal.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Just because a minority are protesting is not a reason for change. Democracy doesn't work that way.

Put some effort into it and come back with a proposal.
The date should be changed because there is some gain and nothing lost, and it is the right thing to do.
But you obviously disagree.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
Fine but Australians having the right and exercising that right to have a view that is different to yours and mine is something I would hope is actually Australian, not anti-Australian
Sometimes I am not very proud of what Australia does and sometimes I am against what our Government does and I express those views. There are things that have happened in our history that make me feel ashamed that they occurred.

Didn't I say they had every right to protest and say whatever they please? Of course they do! This is Australia after all! I don't think everyone at the rally (or anywhere near a majority) were propounding the 'abolish Australia' type message. Change the date fair enough but the radical element and their anti-Australian (my opinion) message make me see red.

Changing the date won't change our British colonial heritage. Personally I think there is a lot to celebrate having that as our heritage regardless of the abuses.

tronic

Tiger Cub
Dec 17, 2002
western australia
I think there will always be an element of disquiet when it comes to Australia Day, but by changing the date I also believe there would be a shift for people like me, who are more moderate on the issue but don't feel comfortable embracing the day as is. I suspect there is a lot of us.
I've given this some thought, had a look online found out things that I didn't know, found dates that Aboriginals were supposedly given the right to vote (with stipulations) I found that it wasn't until 1984 that they were finally treated the same as everybody else and voting became both a right and a responsibility (compulsory) couldn't find the date this was passed but we did have a federal election in 1984 on 01 December how about that date?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Feb 20th - you know that's the date we all want.

I equate the anti-Australian fringe radical with the Grampians Goebbels Gobblers, except the Grampians mob's supposed beliefs come from a far darker, sinister and scary place in World history.

But both of them would be the radical fringes that we should all ignore if we want to find a solution

Reactions: 2 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's the one day out of 365 set aside for people to feel happy about being Australian, but some people want to impose their own misery on the majority. So give us a better date...
I have already posted why I don’t like the date so I am not revisiting that.
I don’t need a day set aside to feel good about being Australian and I certainly don’t need jingoistic nationalist stuff either

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Didn't I say they had every right to protest and say whatever they please? Of course they do! This is Australia after all! I don't think everyone at the rally (or anywhere near a majority) were propounding the 'abolish Australia' type message. Change the date fair enough but the radical element and their anti-Australian (my opinion) message make me see red.

Changing the date won't change our British colonial heritage. Personally I think there is a lot to celebrate having that as our heritage regardless of the abuses.
You’ve changed your opinion. You said that Invasion day protests were anti Australian but now it’s an element.
There are plenty who propose to keep the date who make me see red as well, like those far right nationalist wankers.
I have no affinity to our British heritage at all by the way. Zero.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I have already posted why I don’t like the date so I am not revisiting that.
I don’t need a day set aside to feel good about being Australian and I certainly don’t need jingoistic nationalist stuff either
OK so you want to abolish Australia Day altogether? You're not getting that past any Labor or LNP government.

Djevv

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2005
NT
www.youtube.com
You’ve changed your opinion. You said that Invasion day protests were anti Australian but now it’s an element.
There are plenty who propose to keep the date who make me see red as well, like those far right nationalist wankers.
I have no affinity to our British heritage at all by the way. Zero.

Well you could say protesting on Australia Day is anti-Australian but I do take your point about protesting to try to make things better.

You don’t have to love all things British (I don’t) to appreciate that the foundation of Modern Australia are British style democratic institutions, laws, cultural institutions and head of state. The timing of Australia Day recognises these facts.

Surely people can’t be serious about some random day at the end of summer? Might as well choose May 8th!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The day is not about celebrating colonialism or invasions

Then why is it on the anniversary of the day when the invasion happened and the colony was established?

You see, this is the problem with Jan 26, you may want to interpret the day differently but the fact is, the day is not random, it is a specific day commemorating a specific event.

I can do without confected nationalism too.

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Well you could say protesting on Australia Day is anti-Australian but I do take your point about protesting to try to make things better.

You don’t have to love all things British (I don’t) to appreciate that the foundation of Modern Australia are British style democratic institutions, laws, cultural institutions and head of state. The timing of Australia Day recognises these facts.

Surely people can’t be serious about some random day at the end of summer? Might as well choose May 8th!
Westminster style of parliament - as good as any
British legal system- I can generally celebrate that
British cultural institutions- not sure what they are ?
Head of state - I’m a Republican

There is a certain way of life that comes from the Anglo-celts ( my family history is Irish) that I am glad I was brought up in and it is generally my roots but when I celebrate Australia I also celebrate our diversity, the great melting pot of cultures, because I love that.
I also would like to celebrate how this country actually started on this land which is with our indigenous peoples and out of respect for them I can’t do that on January 26th.
If we are to celebrate the country Australia there is only one date that is the correct one which is January 1st, Federation Day. It’s the day we became a nation. It’s an inconvenient day, people don’t like it for that reason so maybe there is another one we can pick but I haven’t looked into it enough to be honest.

Reactions: 2 users